Cranberry Pills for UTI Prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cranberry Pills for UTI Prevention

What dosage of Cranberry Pills will help with preventing UTI's? I hear if you take them on a daily basis they will help. I get a UTI just about every month. I don't know why but I would love to hear the dosage that other people take for prevention.

I take between 1000 to 1500 units a day. i was first told to drink 2 8oz glasses a day of juice but as a person with diabetes that is a lot of added sugar and the special no sugar versions are too costly. i found the pills and took the on faith. after moving my new pcp sent me to a urologist. i asked if the pills were a good idea considering the sugar and was given the thumbs up.

i will add that i haven't had a uti in decades, drink lots of water and GO a lot. control is an issue but too many nerves are dead below the waist. i didn't want to take anything for that as currently have no retention issues and want it to stay that way.

karen

Comment

I take a supplement that combines Cranberry and D-Mannos. 2 per day is recommended which gives me 800mg of Cran and 2,000mg of D-Mannos. I really don't know what D-mannos is but the combination helps when I get a UTI - which I've been getting more often lately. Sometimes I take 3 pills per day depending of severity.

I drink LOTS of water and also drink cranberry juice that is low in sugar (from a health food store). The extra cost is worth it to me.

Hopes this helps...it's no fun having an UTI!!!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

My neurologist suggested I take Vitamin C and cranberry capsules daily - two of each - to prevent UTI's, of which I have far too many, say 3 or 4 a year.

It's only been 6 weeks since I started, too early to tell a difference, but I am hopeful. The cranberry tablets are 425 mg each, and the Vitamin C tabs are 1,000 mg each.

He also prescribed bethanachol to improve bladder emptying and lessen the UTI's, but I haven't started it yet, as I get tired of so many meds, and like to start new ones slowly.

Comment

I have frequency and retention and it can be hard to handle both as you can't take meds for one without affecting the other. I don't always have the normal feeling of having to go to the bathroom, and can have bladder spasms because of that. When you spasm, you leak.

I have cut way back on coffee which irritates my bladder. Coffee used to help with the retention as it is a diuretic, but has become more and more irritating causing too much frequency. I am much better drinking 1/2 cup only. I'd like to eliminate it altogether eventually.

I add a teaspoon of D-Mannose powder to a drink each day.
          I am almost out, and I am going to look for a combo of D-Mannose and cranberry as the above post mentions. That would be great to combine the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Thedish View Post
            What dosage of Cranberry Pills will help with preventing UTI's? I hear if you take them on a daily basis they will help. I get a UTI just about every month. I don't know why but I would love to hear the dosage that other people take for prevention.
            simple trick is to drink some sea salt and water ?1/4tsp 2-3x/day between meals. The cranberries fine also.
            NutritionTara
            Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
            X