I remember when people said that Equal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember when people said that Equal

was terrible, for not just me, but all the way around terrible for a body. What is the "skinny" on Splenda? Vs (I can't recall the "real" name) the other sweetner? I know I've tried it, and the only difference to me, was $$. Help!
    TIA,
    jersey

jersey-in-pa

Splenda

Splenda is just sugar whose DNA stand twists to the left instead of the right (or vice versa) so the body doesn't recognize it as sugar. I'll take it over artificial sweetner any day of the week!

In my area, Kroger carries a store brand that is every bit as good but significantly cheaper (even cheaper than Sam's). Since I use it for baking & DH uses it in his coffee, I buy the big bag, not the individual packets.

***Baking tip: Some sugar is needed in the baking process to achieve the correct appearance & texture (it's a chemistryl thing). If recipe calls for 1C sugar, use Splenda but scoop out 1T & replace w/ real sugar. That is all that is needed -- no need to buy the expensive baking blend! I do use the brown sugar blend though, that seems to be a little bit different.
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Ah the sweetener controversy.

My opinion regarding safeness in order from most safe to least:

Stevia
      Saccharine
      Sucralose
      Aspartame

Regarding Splenda (Sucralose), the marketing of it as being "like sugar" is misleading because it contains chlorine atoms and has been shown to mess with the flora in digestion.
      Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

I vote for Stevia too. As far as I've been able to determine, it's the safest.

Comment

Personally I don’t like using any of the fakes, and as little white sugar as possible. (I must confess I never like the taste of after taste of artificial sugars, and that is undoubtedly a factor)

If you are looking for a way to add flavor to drinks like un-sweeten tea, may I suggest what I do and add a twist of lemon. This year I stopped drinking sodas, it was ruff at first. But not only have my taste buds changed and I now enjoy unsweeten tea, I also feel better and have more energy; mentally and physically.

What is your goal?
          We may be able to help better with knowing how you are planning to use it, and the reasoning for wanting to use artificial sugar.
          Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

DH just came in (argumenative)and asked "What about regular pure cane sugar?" Thoughts?
            I certainly appreciate the thumbs up on Splenda! I'll be able to afford Stevia(thank you!) maybe later in life.

jersey-in-pa

Comment

Originally posted by jersey-in-pa View Post
              DH just came in (argumenative)and asked "What about regular pure cane sugar?" Thoughts?
              I certainly appreciate the thumbs up on Splenda! I'll be able to afford Stevia(thank you!) maybe later in life.
              What about regular pure cane sugar? Well, many people try to avoid it in order to lose weight, or to maintain their current weight.

Diabetics pretty much need to avoid cane sugar, beet sugar, corn syrup and other concentrated sweeteners such as honey and maple syrup, or at least keep them to a minimum.

People on anti-inflammatory diets for MS, arthritis and other medical conditions need to avoid or minimize sugars as well.

In other words, there are multiple reasons why people choose to use non-nutritive sweeteners.

Comment

IF I understand what I have been reading some broken-down sugar is needed, but incomplete breakdown of dietary sugar can lead to myelin damage.
                And Folic Acid is needed for breaking sugar down.

I Googled [sugar myelin] and I really don’t understand a lot of what I have been reading, something called “N-linked sugar chain composition on the glycoproteins of CNS myelin” has be totally baffled.
                Hopefully Tara will translate it into English for us.

Here two good reads I have found.

Here is a link http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=69778308285 and if not allowed here, you can Google “I’d like an iced myelin cafe latte to go please, hold the sugar”.

Also http://hubpages.com/hub/Nutrition-an...ple-Sclerosis1 or Google “Nutrition and Multiple Sclerosis - Part 2”

There is a lot more info out there I just found these the most interesting, but by no means tells the whole story.
                Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I can't use Equal or any of those kind. They make my sick.
                  I do use the "Pink Stuff" in my A.M. coffee, but I only use about 1/4 of a packet, just a dash for my 1st. cup.
                  But as to our "National Drink of the South", My DD & I are hard core Nothing in it, no sugar,no lemon,noEqual. But we drink it all day long.
                  But I have to confess, I love Pepsi,but I limit myself to 1 a week on Sundays after church. We all have our secret vises,I'm just glad mine is Pepsi it could be much worse,LOL.
                  God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

I read the Pub Med abstract you referred to Sir-Voor: N-linked sugar chain of the CNS glycoprotein. As far as I can tell its an explanation of the composition of CNS myelin--not any relationship with sugar intake.
                    Stevia, IMO is the least harmful choice.
                    NutritionTara
                    Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

mint

i make a pitcher of iced tea that is 3 to one green tea/mint tea. works on my sweet tooth.

a splash of orange juice and cinnamon in a pot of hot tea.

i am southern on my father's side but my mom is Russian.

karen

Comment

Working...
                      X