X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the BEST form of Flax to take?

Seeds?
    Oil?
    Organic Cold Milled (kind of like a powder)?
    Does it matter?? 'm guessing that oil is the best, but wondered if any of you had any info?

Whole flax seeds, ground right before you eat them, sprinkled on cereal or salad or fruit mixed with yogurt, or any other way you can think of that doesn't involve cooking. Keep the unground flax seeds in the refrigerator, or freeze them for longer storage.

That's the very best way, according to many reputable sources I've read.

Second best is oil that's been refrigerated continuously. Barlean's and Spectrum are two good brands.

Whole flax seeds contain lignans, which may protect against breast cancer and have other health benefits. Flaxseed oil doesn't contain lignans, but some brands add them back in; the label on the bottle will say.

Or you can do what I do...take flaxseed oil and eat ground flax seeds!

Comment

I don’t know much about flaxseed oil, but I do know cooking will destroys the anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids.
      Also needs to stay refrigerated, and heard it is good for use in salad dressings. Although I have never knowingly had it, so I have no idea what it tastes like.

My little bit of internet research has indicated there are three healthy parts to flaxseeds; omega-3 fatty acids, both types of fiber, and antioxidants called lignans.
      I'm guessing the oils will not have the fibers, and I have no clue as to the anti-oxidants.

My thinking is that because the three healthy parts are also in other healthy foods, I’m going to go with what I enjoy the most and not worry about getting the best.

I’ll agree Sequoia on this it does seem whole flax seeds is the best, I wonder how whole seeds taste on a salad.
      ? Or if putting them into a refrigerated pepper-mill and grinding them at the table like you would pepper corns would work. ?
      Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Oil will provide the most omega-3. I wouldn't give seeds to males has it is very estrogenic. And try to grind the seeds fresh and consume immediately.
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Coco,

I take a tablespoon of Barleen's every day. It's branded from Vitamin Shoppe and is very inexpensive and delicious. I take it with my vitaminD so that it has some fat with it.

Barleen's is very high quality.

Comment

Thanks, BigA!

Comment

Working...
            X