Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PREVAGEN

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF PREVAGEN?

THEY ARE DOING A MS STUDY IN MADISON, WIS. USING THIS SUPPLEMENT. IT IS APPARENTLY ONLINE/NO TRAVEL INVOLVED. SEE: HOPETRIALS.COM

I HEARD ABOUT IT ON A NEWS CAST

metwa, I looked up prevagen and what I could find was invitro results -- reducing cell death in a dish. It would be very hard to measure clinically - preservation of brain cells (because of that product).
    Sounds too good to be true.
    The best way to preserve your brain cells is completely remove hydrogenated and vegetable (omega-6 oils) from your diet.
    NutritionTara
    Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Hi metwo:
      This topic came up a while ago under a thread about the active ingredient in Prevagen (see http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104684). The online study is essentially a marketing survey with no real qualifications for participation (seriously, I can enroll my dog), which will limit the value of any results obtained. That doesn't mean that it might not be a good product or that a person shouldn't try it or participate in the study. But anyone who does participate should be fully aware that it is just a marketing survey and not a carefully controlled clinical trial that will be helpful in the treatment or management of MS.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I guess I didn't really understand what their intentions were. Once again MS World comes through.

Comment

Wisc State Journal Article - jelly fish protein,aequorin,Prevagen

*** Moderator's note - copied & pasted material removed per MSWorld guideline #6. You may post the URL

Jeffrey Johnson, professor, Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Ronald Kalil, professor, School of Medicine and Public Health, both at UW-Madison. About 40 neuroscience faculty at UW-Madison and the Medical College of Wisconsin signed this letter in support.

Comment

No Reason To Buy Into Brain Claim - prevagen

Wisc. State Journal Oct. 4 2010
            NO REASON TO BUY INTO BRAIN CLAIM

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/opinion/mailbag

Comment

Prevagen... Tara: Do you know anything about Prevagen?

Tara: Do you know anything about Prevagen?

Thanks!

Comment

We've talked about apoaequorin here before. I don't have any professional experience with it
                My opinion: its a very large molecule. I question its ability to survive digestion.
                "to protect brain cells" your best bet is DHLA, an antioxidant that will cross into the brain....thats the biggest brain threat is free-radicals.
                If you could control mineral balance in the cells it could possibly keep bad guys out ( perported to be prevagen's benefit).
                It just seems gimmicky to me. ??
                NutritionTara

Comment

Tara,

Is it true that DHLA is the reduced form of ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID (ALA)?

If yes will the ALA in foods like spinach and broccoli also cross into the brain?
                  Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

DHLA is the reduced form of ALA.
                    Please, please, please google (msw) my posts on DHLA.
                    Everyone wants to discuss ALA. For 2+ years I have been using DHLA. I have all MSrs on DHLA.
                    I take it daily myself> It scavenges ALL free radicals.
                    The most advanced anti-oxidant available.

Your second question: IDK?
                    NutritionTara

Comment

Working...
                    X