Announcement

Collapse

WELCOME TO OUR NEW HOME!

Hello MSWorld Members,

Welcome to our new home! We hope you love it as much as we do!


we promise.

to offer current and relevant information.

to grow a community built on positive and affirming support.

to showcase member creativity.

to provide safe chat rooms.

to provide well moderated forums.


we believe that what we give as a community comes back to us.

welcome to MSWorld on this journey through a different lens. together. we are msworld.
we are. community.


We appreciate your understanding as we finalize our new home. Our arcade is still currently under construction and won’t be available for a while. Thank you for your patience while we prepare a new and improved arcade for you.

enjoy our new home.

support reimagined.
See more
See less

Supplements that work from a student of natural medicine.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Supplements that work from a student of natural medicine.

    I have taken several supplements that helped me. I will give the details and dosages, I hope they help you guys as well.

    Turmeric. Up to 1500 mg a day. Helps with cognition and pain. Helped my muscle spams in legs and back significantly. No longer needed baclofen. Can cause sugar problems and will interact with medications used for the treatment of diabetes, as it lowers sugar in some. I had to stop it for this reason.

    High dose vitamin D3- get the best quality you can afford. I took five thousand. I felt great. No fatigue,no flares during winter! A recent study suggested ten thousand.

    Lions mane mushroom- Shows great promise for nerve growth. being investigated as a means to repair myelin sheath. Improves cognition and mood. This helped most of all. I can talk and write again and can do mental math. 2 pills a day. Does nothing to stop flares at all--

    As always, check with your doctor or pharmacist to insure no interactions exist with current medications.

    #2
    Hi asiel1

    Originally posted by asiel1 View Post
    I have taken several supplements that helped me. I will give the details and dosages, I hope they help you guys as well.

    Turmeric. Up to 1500 mg a day. Helps with cognition and pain. Helped my muscle spams in legs and back significantly. No longer needed baclofen. Can cause sugar problems and will interact with medications used for the treatment of diabetes, as it lowers sugar in some. I had to stop it for this reason.
    I had to stop turmeric also, but for a different reason - because of it's blood thinning properties.

    Originally posted by asiel1 View Post
    High dose vitamin D3- get the best quality you can afford. I took five thousand. I felt great. No fatigue,no flares during winter! A recent study suggested ten thousand.
    Yes! Vitamin D3 really helped my fatigue tremendously! I took 10,000 IU for 3 months when I first began taking it, then went to 5,000 IU daily, which is still my current dosage.

    Originally posted by asiel1 View Post
    Lions mane mushroom- Shows great promise for nerve growth. being investigated as a means to repair myelin sheath. Improves cognition and mood. This helped most of all. I can talk and write again and can do mental math. 2 pills a day. Does nothing to stop flares at all--
    I'll have to research that one, as I am not at all familiar with it. Sounds very beneficial. Glad it's helping you!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Take Care
    PPMS for 22 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Hi asiel1



      I had to stop turmeric also, but for a different reason - because of it's blood thinning properties.



      Yes! Vitamin D3 really helped my fatigue tremendously! I took 10,000 IU for 3 months when I first began taking it, then went to 5,000 IU daily, which is still my current dosage.



      I'll have to research that one, as I am not at all familiar with it. Sounds very beneficial. Glad it's helping you!

      Thanks for sharing!

      Take Care
      Lions mane is wonderful. Please do the research, and use a credible source if you decide to try.

      Comment


        #4
        Yes, I'm on turmeric and D3. I drop my dosage of D3 during the summer because I'm outdoors more, but increase it again during the grayer days of fall and winter.

        I'll have to look into lions mane mushroom. My mood could use some improvement!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by asiel1 View Post
          I have taken several supplements that helped me. I will give the details and dosages, I hope they help you guys as well.

          Turmeric. Up to 1500 mg a day. Helps with cognition and pain. Helped my muscle spams in legs and back significantly. No longer needed baclofen. Can cause sugar problems and will interact with medications used for the treatment of diabetes, as it lowers sugar in some. I had to stop it for this reason.

          High dose vitamin D3- get the best quality you can afford. I took five thousand. I felt great. No fatigue,no flares during winter! A recent study suggested ten thousand.

          Lions mane mushroom- Shows great promise for nerve growth. being investigated as a means to repair myelin sheath. Improves cognition and mood. This helped most of all. I can talk and write again and can do mental math. 2 pills a day. Does nothing to stop flares at all--

          As always, check with your doctor or pharmacist to insure no interactions exist with current medications.
          Thanks.

          Tumeric -- I also use this. Some brands/products call it Curcumin. From what I understand, it is important to use tumeric with black pepper, to help its effectiveness. So, look for a brand that includes both. I often use the spice (with black pepper -- you just need a little), rather than the supplement, although I have that too. I sprinkle it on meat or vegetables when cooking. Or, I put some in my green smoothies when I make them in the mornings. I don't even notice the taste.

          Vitamin D -- I also take Vitamin D3. And, high doses. 5,000 - 10,000 mg per day.

          Lion's Mane Mushroom -- I'd never heard of this, but did a little bit of reading about it. Sounds like it might be promising. I usually use Nature's Sunshine brand for my supplements, but they don't sell it. Do you have a brand that you trust and recommend?
          Last edited by Mamabug; 08-10-2017, 11:06 AM.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

          Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08
          .

          - Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            Thanks.

            Tumeric -- I also use this. Some brands/products call it Curcumin. From what I understand, it is important to use tumeric with black pepper, to help its effectiveness. So, look for a brand that includes both. I often use the spice (with black pepper -- you just need a little), rather than the supplement, although I have that too. I sprinkle it on meat or vegetables when cooking. Or, I put some in my green smoothies when I make them in the mornings. I don't even notice the taste.

            Vitamin D -- I also take Vitamin D3. And, high doses. 5,000 - 10,000 mg per day.

            Lion's Mane Mushroom -- I'd never heard of this, but did a little bit of reading about it. Sounds like it might be promising. I usually use Nature's Sunshine brand for my supplements, but they don't sell it. Do you have a brand that you trust and recommend?
            I use Fungi Perfecti host defense Lions Mane-- I take two at noon. Today I noticed that once my coffee wears off in the morning, my speech "drags" until I take them. I have word "finding" issues, so I sometimes pause between words. The Lions mane has helped tremendously with this issue.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by asiel1 View Post
              I use Fungi Perfecti host defense Lions Mane-- I take two at noon. Today I noticed that once my coffee wears off in the morning, my speech "drags" until I take them. I have word "finding" issues, so I sometimes pause between words. The Lions mane has helped tremendously with this issue.
              Thanks.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

              Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08
              .

              - Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

              Comment


                #8
                I think I may try some of these supplements. I take vitamin D3. 50000 IU week. Sometimes I double up on the D3. Sometimes I forget and miss it for a week or so.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Lions mane mushroom

                  Along with lions mane mushroom there is a mushroom called Willow Bracket which is supposed to suppress demyelinization. I have read that they should be taken together.
                  BevAnn

                  dx.2007; ocrevus 2018

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Lions mane mushroom

                    Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                    Thanks.

                    Tumeric -- I also use this. Some brands/products call it Curcumin. From what I understand, it is important to use tumeric with black pepper, to help its effectiveness. So, look for a brand that includes both. I often use the spice (with black pepper -- you just need a little), rather than the supplement, although I have that too. I sprinkle it on meat or vegetables when cooking. Or, I put some in my green smoothies when I make them in the mornings. I don't even notice the taste.

                    Vitamin D -- I also take Vitamin D3. And, high doses. 5,000 - 10,000 mg per day.

                    Lion's Mane Mushroom -- I'd never heard of this, but did a little bit of reading about it. Sounds like it might be promising. I usually use Nature's Sunshine brand for my supplements, but they don't sell it. Do you have a brand that you trust and recommend?
                    I usually get lions mane from Swanson. The only source I can find for Willow Bracket is HR Supplements and only in powder form (yuck!)
                    BevAnn

                    dx.2007; ocrevus 2018

                    Comment


                      #11
                      It's good that this thread was revived. I'd never followed through on Lion's Mane, and maybe I should also consider Willow Bracket.
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

                      Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08
                      .

                      - Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by asiel1 View Post
                        I use Fungi Perfecti host defense Lions Mane--
                        I tried the same brand last summer, but had to give it up. I used for a few days but got terrible heartburn which I've never had in my life! Went off it and the heartburn went away. Tested using it again after a week and the heartburn came back. And so it went on for yet another time with same results.

                        It was weird. Maybe it was the brand? But too leery now to try another.
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X