Flaxseed Oil Or Fish Oil Supplements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flaxseed Oil Or Fish Oil Supplements?

I have been taking a flaxseed oil supplement, now am wondering if I should be taking a fish oil supplement too, or in place of? Thought flaxseed was the way to go, but am now questioning that!

Also should all supplements that come in soft gels be refrigerated?

Jen

I take both, and I use the soft gels and keep them all refrigerated. I get mine from Swanson's and prefer the virgin salmon oil capsules. I take about 1 gram of each per day along with my other supplements. I'm doing very well and in good health even with my MS and at 52 years old. I feel very fortunate.

I hope it's ok for me to reply in this forum.
    Take care, Wiz
    RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

ewizabeth, thanks for the reply. We're the same age-52 yrs young! Thanks so much for the info.

Jen

Comment

Originally posted by JenAM View Post
        I have been taking a flaxseed oil supplement, now am wondering if I should be taking a fish oil supplement too, or in place of? Thought flaxseed was the way to go, but am now questioning that!

Also should all supplements that come in soft gels be refrigerated?

Jen
        Flax oil contains Omega-3s; (LNA),Alpha-linoleic acid which in ~3 steps can become EPA and then DHA (your brain). There are roadblocks involved in these steps. Adding USP-grade fish oils/cod liver oil directly provides you with EPA & DHA.
        Caveat: Many companies grind up sardines and anchoivies which involves heat and can destroy the beneficial components. Or, some products are solvently extracted and syntheitic vit A and D are added back. 3rd, the product must contain some vit E as a preservative. OOpps and then of course be tested for contaminates: mercury, PCBs....
        But other than all that, use both
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Thanks Tara, now I know what I need to do. I really appreciate the information.

Jen

Comment

I've been told that I don't need fish oil or that flax oil is useless.I take both to be sure. I enjoy taking the flax oil straight. In the morning, I have one spoon of flax oil with my vitamind (it's fat soluable) + 2 capsules of fish oil. At night, I take more flax oil and 2 more capsules. It's pretty simple that way and I don't have to remember.

Comment

BigA, NICE...taking both after someone told you they were useless--no more advice from that person. Your combination is exactly what I recommend and use myself.
              NutritionTara

Comment

Flax seed / fish oil

Guess I'm late to this.

I've always taken actual flax seed and sunflower seed... A spoonful of each on bran or shredded wheat in AM. Did it for the crunch. Is this a helpful amount of flax seed (or sunflower seed for that matter) compared with the capsule?

And I was told that fish oil was best taken before activity otherwise not nearly as useful...? So I take 3x a week before exercise.

Oh, I've been doing this without any knowledge of it being helpful regarding MS.... Thoughts or comments appreciated.

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                  Guess I'm late to this.

I've always taken actual flax seed and sunflower seed... A spoonful of each on bran or shredded wheat in AM. Did it for the crunch. Is this a helpful amount of flax seed (or sunflower seed for that matter) compared with the capsule?

And I was told that fish oil was best taken before activity otherwise not nearly as useful...? So I take 3x a week before exercise.

Oh, I've been doing this without any knowledge of it being helpful regarding MS.... Thoughts or comments appreciated.

Jer
                  Flax seed is fine. Its very unstable so never buy it out of a bulk bin - vacum-sealed container, refrigerate, use quickly. Sunflower seeds...small amount. Its contains Omega-6.
                  exercise and cod? never heard that one. Its a fat-soluble vitamin; it has to be taken with food to be absorbed.
                  NutritionTara

Comment

Thank you!

nutritiontara,

Appreciate your response. I'll make some adjustments. I'm finding the flax seed gets stuck in my teeth ;-) May have to go with a capsule.

Best,
                    Jer

Comment

Working...
                    X