Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you get your vit D blood level checked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you get your vit D blood level checked?

I am a firm believer in the connection between the MS relapse rate and a low Vit. D. In fact I personally believe that high Vit D levels work better than DMD's. Anyway, if we are supposed to have our levels between 80 and 100, it would seem that we would need to get out Vit D levels checked frequently. During this last winter mine was 56 which would normally be great living in New England, but I am curious what it is now since it is summertime. I suspect it is higher. But I am also worried that it may be too high. I take between 4,000 and 5,000 a day. I use liquid, so sometimes I get an extra drop in my cereal.

Have your Doctor run a simple blood test, to check your vitamin D level. Vitamin D is a "fat soluble" vitamin, so it does have the possibility of building up in your body, unlike the "water soluble" vitamins (B & C).
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Hi Jenny,

That is a great question to ask but I doubt that many will say that they get their vit D checked on a regular basis. My neurologist has only checked my Vit B & D levels when I'm not feeling so great. Would love to hear if anyone has a schedule that their neurologist follows on their labs.

Comment

I believe any test should only be done if it could change your treatment, or discover a new health issue. Using that as a guideline I would think every 3-6 months when you first start getting tested, when once you stabilize at a good range just when ever you normally get a blood test anyway. As always check with your doctor, they often know best.

A winter time level 56 does not sound too bad, well compared to my 29. LOL.

If you’re getting a blood test to me there is no reason not to just have D & B12 levels checked also.

One thing I will be having done when construction work slows down at the start of the school year in few weeks, will my office lights change to full spectrum.
        I’m hoping artificial sun light will boost my D level, even throughout the winter.

And maybe even will be able to grow plants in my office.
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I was diagnosed in Sept. 2009. My neurologist checked my levels then (was 24), and again in May 2010 (was 37) when I last saw him. Since May, I am taking 4,000 IU per day.

Comment

My neurologist checked my vit D level last Sept and it was 9. yup, you read that right 9--I was immediately put on 50,000iu once a week for 3 months--now my level is 34 and I'm taking 2,000 daily--he checks my levels every 3 months
            Good luck
            Sue AKA HCB

Comment

I just got mine checked, and it was in repsonse to bone density testing. I will be doing relclast once a year. Thanks to monthly steroids, family history and my history of smoking, and drinking, both of which I have quit, I am now osteopenic. I am just learning all about the possible ms and vit d connection. My level is 23. My ob/gyn put me on 50,000 once a month with getting it checked again in 6 weeks. I started taking otc vit d, at 2000 a day. I was not aware that it came in liquid too, I will do some checkin on that. I just watched a great video the other day that someone had here relating to ms and vit d, very good and informative!
              with you
              Karen
              "Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it." ~~Rumi

Comment

When my results came back at a level of 4, my doctor put me on 50,000 iu's twice weekly for 12 weeks.

I'm now on week 6, and my doctor has said that he will be checking my D levels every 3 months until I show a regular improvement for a year.

Best of luck to you.
                Mis-Diagnosed with Parkinson's for 1 year.
                Now being watched and tested for Neurological Movement Disorder, most likely MS.

Comment

Vit D

I get mine tested once a year.
                  techie
                  Another pirated saying:
                  Half of life is if.
                  When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
                  Dogs Rule!

Comment

I had my vit D level tested for the 1st time last month. I was at 35, which I thought was OK until I started reading some posts here. My neuro did suggest I start taking 4000 iu/daily. I am doing that plus I get about 1000 iu from other supplements. I am considering upping the big dose though. At this rate I'll never get my level up to 80-100!

dx 10/2008
                    Beta babe since 12/2008
                    DX 10/2008
                    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Vit D Checks

I have my VitD checked every three months. Started out at 20; was put on 50,000 now at 48 and doing 5000 daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny3838 View Post
                        I am a firm believer in the connection between the MS relapse rate and a low Vit. D. In fact I personally believe that high Vit D levels work better than DMD's. Anyway, if we are supposed to have our levels between 80 and 100, it would seem that we would need to get out Vit D levels checked frequently. During this last winter mine was 56 which would normally be great living in New England, but I am curious what it is now since it is summertime. I suspect it is higher. But I am also worried that it may be too high. I take between 4,000 and 5,000 a day. I use liquid, so sometimes I get an extra drop in my cereal.
                        i have many of my patients on 5,000 to 20,000 I.U.s/day and recheck every 4-6 months. I think an important question is how many times will your Ins. cover testing? With a MS Dx, should be anytime the Doc wants.
                        yes, vit D is a fat-soluble vitamin and is stored in the liver, which could be a problem. But lets look at MS: most of my patients avoid the sun, the recommended levels for MS are 100+, does MS use more vit D?....it requires a lot for your levels to remain in the ideal range. And lastly Google "vit D toxicity"....you won't find much. The amounts people were taking were somewhere around 450,000 units/day for over 9 mos.
                        My recommendation is to get levels up asap and recheck 2x/year to determine the maintenance dose required to remain in the ideal range.
                        NutritionTara
                        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by aopi76 View Post
                          I was diagnosed in Sept. 2009. My neurologist checked my levels then (was 24), and again in May 2010 (was 37) when I last saw him. Since May, I am taking 4,000 IU per day.
                          I just had my Vitamin D checked at my annual physical. It was 44. "Sufficiency Level" is 30-100 ng/mL, according to the lab. So it's going up, which is good. I'll continue taking the 4,000 IU per day.

Comment

My neuro checks mine once a year now. I have moved from less than 15 to 90 something now. I take 50,000 once a week and then take 2000 each am and each pm.

It took me about 18 months to get to the 90's. During that time, he did a screen every six months and always mailed me the results so I would know right away and have a copy at home.

lydialou

Comment

Is this a good vitamin?

Supplement Facts
                              Serving Size 2 Caplets

Servings Per Container 30

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Vitamin A 3,500 IU 70%
                              (as Beta-Carotene )

Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 120 mg 200%

Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol) 1,000 IU 250%

Vitamin E (as d-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate) 30 IU 100%

Vitamin K (as Phytonadione) 10 mcg 13%

Thiamin (Vitamin B-1) (as Thiamin Mononitrate) 30 mg 2,000%

Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2) 30 mg 1,765%

Niacin (as Niacinamide) 30 mg 150%

Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 30 mg 1,500%

Folic Acid 400 mcg 100%

Vitamin B-12 (as Cyanocobalamin) 30 mcg 500%

Biotin (as d-Biotin) 500 mcg 167%

Pantothenic Acid (as d-Calcium Pantothenate) 30 mg 300%

Calcium (as Calcium Carbonate, 500mg 50%
                              Dicalcium Phosphate and Calcium Citrate)

Iodine (as Potassium Iodide) 150 mcg 100%

Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) 100 mg 25%

Zinc (as Zinc Oxide) 15 mg 100%

Selenium (as Sodium Selenate) 100 mcg 143%

Copper (as Cupric Oxide) 2 mg 100%

Manganese (as Manganese Gluconate) 2 mg 100%

Chromium (as Chromium Picolinate) 200 mcg 167%

Molybdenum (as Sodium Molybdate) 75 mcg 100%

Sodium 10 mg <1%

Potassium (as Potassium Chloride) 30 mg 1%

Vanadium (as Sodium Metavanadate) 10 mcg *

UW50+ Hair, Skin, Nail Blend:Collagen(as Hydrolyzed Gelatin),Choline Bitartrate,Inositol,Silica 50 mg *

UW50+ Bone/Joint Health Blend: Methylsulfonylmethane(MSM),Fish Oil,Soy Isoflavones,Chondroitin Sulfate,Glucosamine Hydrochloride,Ipfriflavone,Sodium Tetraborate 100 mg *

UW50+Energy/Focus Blend:Ginkgo Biloba(Ginkgo biloba)(leaf),Green Tea(Camellia sinensis)(leaf),Cayenne Pepper(Capsicum annuum)(fruit),Spirulina,Neuro PS® Phosphatidylserine,Panax Ginseng Extract(standardized to contain 7percent ginsenosides) 50 mg *

UW50+ Antioxidant Cardio Blend:Garlic (Allium sativum)(bulb),Citrus Bioflavonoids(Citrus spp.)(fruit),Grape Seed Extract(Vitis vinifera),Black Currant(Ribes nigrum)(fruit),Bilberry Vaccinium myrtillus)(leaf),Elderberry (Sambucus nigra),Carrot Extract,Broccoli Extract,Alpha Lipoic Acid,Lycopene,Lutein,Super Oxide Dismutase,Resveratrol(Polygonum cuspidatum)(root),Astaxanthin,Coenzyme Q-10,Zeaxanthin,Pycnogenol®(Pinus pinaster)(Maritime Pine Bark Extract) 50 mg *

UW50+ Herbal Blend:Barley Grass(Hordeum vulgare)(aerial),Chamomile(Matricaria recutita)(flower),Cranberry(Vaccinium macrocarpon)(fruit),Vitex Chasteberry(Vitex agnus-castus)(fruit),Dong Quai(Angelica sinensis)(root),Red Raspberry(Rubus idaeus)(leaf),Red Clover(Trifolium pratense)(flower),Wild Yam Extract(Dioscorea villosa)(root) 50 mg *

*Daily Value not established.
                              Directions: For adults, take two (2) caplets, preferably with a meal.

Other Ingredients: Vegetable Cellulose. Contains <2% of: Calcium Silicate, Vanillin, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate, Vegetable Stearic Acid. Contains milk, soy, fish (anchovies, menhaden, sardines) and shellfish (shrimp, crab, lobster, crayfish) ingredients.

WARNING: Not intended for use by pregnant or nursing women. If you are taking any medications or planning any medical procedure, consult your doctor before use. Avoid this product if you are allergic to ragweed or daisylike flowers. Discontinue use and consult your doctor if any adverse reactions occur. Not intended for use by persons under the age of 18. Keep out of reach of children. Store in a cool, dry place. Do not use if seal under cap is broken or missing.
                              For Vibrant Women Over 50!Our high-potency multivitamin is specially designed for the changing nutritional needs of women over 50
                              Includes triple-action antioxidant support from Selenium, Vitamin E and Beta-Carotene to help fight cell-damaging free radicals**
                              Provides an excellent source of Calcium for strong, healthy bones, plus Vitamin D to aid with Calcium absorption**
                              A potent, active form of Vitamin D (D3) to support breast health and colon function**
                              Supplies high-potency B Vitamins for metabolic health and energy production**
                              Contains high-potency sources of Biotin, Vitamin C and Zinc to nourish vibrant skin, healthy hair and strong nails**
                              Features Ginkgo Biloba for alertness, focus and occasional mild memory problems associated with aging**
                              Caplets are coated for ease of swallowing.

No Artificial Color, No Preservatives, No Sugar, No Gluten, No Wheat, No Yeast, No Fish,
                              Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X