Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for people treating RRMS with diet only? No DMDs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for people treating RRMS with diet only? No DMDs?

Hi,

I'm looking for feedback...took Rebif for 8 years, been on Copaxone for 1.5 years...have not had a fun time with either. My MS has been stable (knock on wood) save one major exaccerbation upon diagnosis and 2 minor since in a 9 year period. Of course I often have numbness in my fingers or the one side of my face but I don't count that as an exacerbation. I want to go off everything and continue to focus on my diet...no gluten, no dairy (I'm lactose intolerant any ways) absolutely no processed or prepared foods, no refined sugar, only wild meats and fish occasionally. Exercise...cleaning eating and living basically...has anyone done this for an extended amount of time who is willing to share their experience? I would like to hear from someone who has had success or NOT had success. There isn't much data out there to support this but I believe whole heartedly in it. I want to stop injecting these chemical into my already "sick" body...

I don't have RRMS. I was dx'd with PPMS in 2009. i have o been dealing with this dx only using diet and LDN. There are no FDA approved meds for treating this form of MS.
    I would suggest that you investigate the Swank diet, the McDougall diet, the OMS diet plan and the Paleo diet (used along with Dr. Wahls' plan of supplements). Dr. Wahls is the only diet scheme that has had any credibility with the FDA and is being studied under the FDA, now. I may be telling you something you already know. I didn't want to assume your knowledge on this subject.
    By the way, it has been suggested that Copaxone every other day could be as effective as daily. Just a thought.

Comment

I'm curious what credibility Dr. Wahls' diet has. I'd read her book too - she does a lot more than diet, using electro stimulation.

But has there been any trial of her diet and or program?

Don't get me wrong - if you eat like her and not go get your gluten-free wings at the restaurant, eat mostly plants and a little meat, it has to be good - but I'm not sure it's any better and certainly less-tested than swank's diet.

Comment

I've said before and I'll say it again. I think that people who are looking for an "MS diet" are missing the point. We should be eating healthy foods and not eating processed garbage foods because we have bodies not just because we have MS. There are some things that are different between the different "MS diets" but the basics are the same as what health experts and a lot of doctors recommend for everybody.

But there are also stories about people who were already eating healthy and living healthy lives with good exercise and sleep habits and avoiding other bad habits and vices and they still got MS. And there are stories about people who "cleaned up" their diets and habits and their MS didn't get any better.

And that's one of the things I don't understand about LDN. Its supposed to "boost endorphins." But people who are exercising regularly and eating well are ALREADY getting endorphins and some of the still developed MS or didn't get any better with their MS. In fact one of the things that Dr. Swank said about people who develop MS is that they seem to already be physically fit. That implies exercise and endorphins. So if they already had endorphins why did they get MS? So I think there are some things about the endorphin theory of LDN that needs more explaining.

But there's already a lot of evidence that eating healthy and living clean are good for our bodies and I think we need that to deal with MS even if it doesn't specifically help MS.

Comment

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
          I've said before and I'll say it again. I think that people who are looking for an "MS diet" are missing the point. We should be eating healthy foods and not eating processed garbage foods because we have bodies not just because we have MS. There are some things that are different between the different "MS diets" but the basics are the same as what health experts and a lot of doctors recommend for everybody.
          I agree in General, but people are 99% of the time fooling themselves that they're really eating much different. The problem with anything resembling a caveman diet (no one really knows what they ate), is people will eat that cheeseburger at the picnic, maybe they'll take off the bun as they down a greasy burger into their bodies.

But there are also stories about people who were already eating healthy and living healthy lives with good exercise and sleep habits and avoiding other bad habits and vices and they still got MS. And there are stories about people who "cleaned up" their diets and habits and their MS didn't get any better.
          This needn't be a problem. There are non-smokers who get cancer but it doesn't mean that non-smoking doesn't work. People who take their meds also get worse, but it doesn't mean they don't work. We just do our best and line up an advantage we can get

And that's one of the things I don't understand about LDN. Its supposed to "boost endorphins." But people who are exercising regularly and eating well are ALREADY getting endorphins and some of the still developed MS or didn't get any better with their MS. In fact one of the things that Dr. Swank said about people who develop MS is that they seem to already be physically fit. That implies exercise and endorphins. So if they already had endorphins why did they get MS? So I think there are some things about the endorphin theory of LDN that needs more explaining.
          Same as above and anyway, how much endorphins, etc. Do what makes sense to you, but do a good job at it

But there's already a lot of evidence that eating healthy and living clean are good for our bodies and I think we need that to deal with MS even if it doesn't specifically help MS.
          Yes, definitely. What good is getting MS and adding on Diabetes if it's preventable. Anyway, whatever anyone says, we know intuitively that our bodies function better when we take care of them.

Comment

I've only used diet since 2004 and the disease has stayed mild since the end of year 1. I work full time and have full function.
            Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Originally posted by Twenty Miles View Post
              I've only used diet since 2004 and the disease has stayed mild since the end of year 1. I work full time and have full function.
              Can I ask what type of diet plan you follow?

Comment

Originally posted by AshNight View Post
                Can I ask what type of diet plan you follow?
                I cut and pasted this from a similar reply-
                I have eliminated: gluten, legumes, milk/most dairy

I have reduced: refined sugar, saturated fats, refined foods, processed foods, sodium/nitrates-nitrites etc., alcohol, high oxalate foods, sweeteners such as asaprtame and Splenda

I have increased: "good" fats olive/flax/etc., fruits and vegetables, eggs, and water intake, along with adding sea salt and apple cider vinegar.

For supplements I take: CO Q10, Fish Oil, Magnesium/Calcium, Resveratrol, lots of Vitamin D, Live B Complex, a couple different digestive one such as Pro-Biotics, ALA/ALC, L Arganine, and maybe others I have forgotten.

I was blessed with strong will-power, don't take credit for it, it's just the way I'm made. I never cheat on the eliminated items and I mean NEVER. The indulgence items I will partake in are chocolate (it has to be top notch/very high cocoa), and occasional fine wine (love reds).

I still eat out, know the places to go. There are quite a few places that are already GF. I pack a healthy "snack kit" when I travel- many times it has saved me and work mates when stuck on airport layovers.

MS hit me with a vengence in 2004. I was in bad shape dizzy, lost hearing, numbness, etc. Diet took some time. I really didn't start "feeling" remarkably better until I eliminated legumes. I experimented with lots of supplements and approaches. Hit and miss until I sought Tara's services. She truly helped put the last pieces of the puzzle together, besides saving me lots of money on wasted supplements.

I speculated on my approach and with input from many sources (and help from Tara), I "listened" to my body and pieced together the best I could. It was a tough decision not to go on meds early on, but it turns out I've been able to avoid lots of injections etc.
                Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Working...
                X