Do I take Vitamin D3 for a deficiency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I take Vitamin D3 for a deficiency?

Recently both my daughter and I were found to be deficient in Vitamin D. I have looked everywhere for just straight Vitamin D and couldn't find it. I kept seeing Vitamin D3, which I broke down & purchased. Did I get the right thing?
    Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

I take D3 as my supplement I think it's absorbed better than staight D. There are people here that really know supplements that can give you more information. Dale
    Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Yes you got the right thing. D3 is absorbed the best and is the one that's supposed to be measured in the blood test that checks for your vitamin D level.

Comment

Debby,

Be careful taking vitamin D (in any form). It is good that you are doing it, but make sure your Dr. knows about it. Know that Vitamin D is "fat-soluable" SO, that means your body can "hang on to it". It is not flushed through your body everyday, aka can "build up" in fatty tissue.
        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Vitamin D3

Hi Debby's
          I agree ask your Doctor.. I get D3 400IU and my Dr. Has me taking three a day...Good Luck

Comment

I take 5000 to 7000 iu's of vitamin D3 daily. I have found it to help with my 'fatigue'. I have looked for any articles on line regarding ' too high' a dose of vitamin D3, and haven't found anything scary. So what's the big deal ?

Comment

Thanks everyone...I got a bottle that is 5,000 IU's, so was nervous I'd be taking too much, then saw JerryD's post. Here's hoping that's not too much...and thanks for reassuring me D3 is the way to go! Just what I needed to hear!
              Crystal

Comment

It isn't how much vitamin D3 you take, its what your blood levels are. If you read around you'll find scientific articles that say that MSers do OK on up to 10,000 IU per day if that's what it takes to keep their blood levels up. I can keep my level at about 70 on only 3,000 units a day but its different for everybody. So take the 5,000 for 2 or 3 months and then have the blood test that checks your D3 level.

The articles I've read say that MSers should have a blood level of at least 50 ng/ml to help reduce relapses. Between 50 and 80 is good. I've never read anything that says there's any reason to be higher than about 80 ng/ml. Looks like after that more vitamin D3 isn't any better for reducing relapses so maybe you can save your money after that and spend it on some other supplements.

it sounds like you've made a good start. Remember to get your blood test in 2 or 3 months because that will tell you how to adjust how much vitamin D3 to take. You might have to take more to get into the right range, you might not. If your in the range already you can stay at the dose your taking. You might not have to take less because more isn't necessarily better but you'll know when you see the results of your test.

Comment

Thank you so much for that information!
                  Crystal

Comment

I agree with much posted here about D3, but just want to add that it is critical to have your blood tested after you start. As MSer102 pointed out, 50-80 is what you want in the blood. If your level gets to 150, not only are you wasting your money taking too much, but at that level, D3 is considered toxic and will hurt you. Too much of a good thing can be worse than not taking enough.

Comment

Okay...you've all convinced me to have my blood checked! Since I just started with the Vitamin D3 a few weeks ago I'll wait until May so I can get a good reading. I also followed guru extraordinaire JerryD's advice and got on magnesium, potassium, B-12....as well as Multi-vitamins, calcium, super B complex, ginkgo biloba (memory), and valerian root (sleep).

I've also been exercising and eating well, so overall I'm feeling better than I have in a long time...and although I don't know if a particular one of those three things are making the difference, or a combination of the three (likely!), I really don't care because it just feels good to feel good!

I should add that my doc listened to me and my concerns about Xanax, and rxed me Long-acting Klonopin (take twice a day) instead, which has had so many benefits I'm still in shock! Not only have I not had anxiety, but my body hurts much less, my muscles are looser, I can actually sleep at night (A MIRACLE! I have barely slept for 5 years now!), I have had NO restless legs (was a constant problem) and I feel calmer and more peaceful inside instead of the constant tension I seemed to have before. This might just be the first time in my life that side-effects of a medicine have been POSITIVE!!!

These good moments have been few and far between for me, so I will take them and this moment in time with a smile on my face and gratitude in my heart! I'm going to live in THIS moment, and not worry about the future...if you know what I mean. Things can change quickly, but for NOW, I am one happy girl!
                      Crystal

Comment

Debby,
                        If I posted something that has helped you deal with this MonSter, I am thrilled to tears. You are welcome to it. I am not used to being called a 'guru'.
                        More often I am called a 'goof '. lol I am glad to hear that you are finding the advice helpful. Good luck

Comment

YAY Debby!!!

Comment

JerryD...you are truly my guru! . Maybe someone else's goofy guy, but on this board YOU ROCK!! I have been reading your relentless encouragement for several months now, thinking, "gee, I really should do something about that", then forgetting about it, until the next time I'd read one of your posts! I am SO glad you never give up, because it has made a world of difference in my life and my teenage daughter's life....I can't thank you enough. Just keep doing what you do...you'll probably never know how many lives you touch by sharing this valuable information, but I hope you feel the rewards of serving all of us here in your heart.
                            Crystal

Comment

Originally posted by Debby View Post
                              JerryD...you are truly my guru! . Maybe someone else's goofy guy, but on this board YOU ROCK!! I have been reading your relentless encouragement for several months now, thinking, "gee, I really should do something about that", then forgetting about it, until the next time I'd read one of your posts! I am SO glad you never give up, because it has made a world of difference in my life and my teenage daughter's life....I can't thank you enough. Just keep doing what you do...you'll probably never know how many lives you touch by sharing this valuable information, but I hope you feel the rewards of serving all of us here in your heart.
                              Ill second this for jerryd. And mser102. You both are a great contribution here and have made difference for me and others. Keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X