Acetyl Glutathione

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acetyl Glutathione

I just received an email forward about this. I've noticed if I search for Acetyl Glutathione, I find products in the 50 to 75 dollar range. If I search for Glutathione by itself, I find products that start at 20 dollars. Is there really a difference if Acetyl is included? Sorry this simplistic but there really seems to be a cost difference.

I may be able to help with the answer after isee my dr. Naturopathy on tues. she is giving me the Myers drip and I aske for glutathione as well.

Comment

Hi, finally have some I formation for you! And I did another post, but it needs to move here but I don't know where to find the administrators to do it?

Anyway, glutathione is not to be taken by tablet form, it won't absorb enough in your gut and is a waste of money. The best way to supplement it is to have it injected intravenously by a medical practitioner. Also, there are nasal sprays I'm reading about that are also used to effectively deliver glutathione to our cns.

I'm also reading about acetyl cysteine, that is a supplement we should take that is the precursor for our liver to make its own glutathione, which is the optimum.

I can tell you, I had my first injection after my last post, and have not felt so well, so free, so alert, fog gone, clear eyes, and motivated to move than I had in years and years! I am on a kick to find a way to be able to have done through medical so I can keep going with it weekly as its 50.00 an injection. The injected vitamins are helping too, but the glutathione was like jet fuel!!

Comment

Thank you so much sw8689 for this very helpful information! This is a wealth of information!

Comment

You are very welcome! I have a number of abstracts from the American library of medicine on the studies of alpha lipoic acid, n acetyl carntine and glutathione. If I'm allowed to paste them in a post by the moderators I will as it backs up all of the discussion we have been having on these supplements.

Comment

Thanks to another member pointing me to the America Library of Medicine, I have a number of abstracts from studies I will share with you, and an article from the Huffington Post that I found summed it up quite nicely for laypeople like myself! (A bit long)

Glutathione
            From Huffington Post - best explanation

MDPracticing physician
            GET UPDATES FROM MARK HYMAN, MD

Huffington Post Article

Glutathione: The Mother of All Antioxidants
            Posted: 04/10/10 10:49

It's the most important molecule you need to stay healthy and prevent disease -- yet you've probably never heard of it. It's the secret to prevent aging, cancer, heart disease, dementia and more, and necessary to treat everything from autism to Alzheimer's disease. There are more than 89,000 medical articles about it -- but your doctor doesn't know how address the epidemic deficiency of this critical life-giving molecule ...

What is it? I'm talking about the mother of all antioxidants, the master detoxifier and maestro of the immune system: GLUTATHIONE (pronounced "gloota-thigh-own").

The good news is that your body produces its own glutathione. The bad news is that poor diet, pollution, toxins, medications, stress, trauma, aging, infections and radiation all deplete your glutathione.

This leaves you susceptible to unrestrained cell disintegration from oxidative stress, free radicals, infections and cancer. And your liver gets overloaded and damaged, making it unable to do its job of detoxification.

In treating chronically ill patients with Functional Medicine for more than 10 years, I have discovered that glutathione deficiency is found in nearly all very ill patients. These include people with chronic fatigue syndrome, heart disease, cancer, chronic infections, autoimmune disease, diabetes, autism, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, arthritis, asthma, kidney problems, liver disease and more.

At first I thought that this was just a coincidental finding, but over the years I have come to realize that our ability to produce and maintain a high level of glutathione is critical to recovery from nearly all chronic illness -- and to preventing disease and maintaining optimal health and performance. The authors of those 76,000 medical articles on glutathione I mentioned earlier have found the same thing!

So in today's blog I want to explain what glutathione is, why it's important and give you 9 tips that will help you optimize your glutathione levels, improve your detoxification system and protect help yourself from chronic illness.

What is Glutathione?

Glutathione is a very simple molecule that is produced naturally all the time in your body. It is a combination of three simple building blocks of protein or amino acids -- cysteine, glycine and glutamine.

The secret of its power is the sulfur (SH) chemical groups it contains. Sulfur is a sticky, smelly molecule. It acts like fly paper and all the bad things in the body stick onto it, including free radicals and toxins like mercury and other heavy metals.

Normally glutathione is recycled in the body -- except when the toxic load becomes too great. And that explains why we are in such trouble ...

In my practice, I test the genes involved in glutathione metabolism. These are the genes involved in producing enzymes that allow the body to create and recycle glutathione in the body. These genes have many names, such as GSTM1, GSTP1 and more.

These genes impaired in some people for a variety of important reasons. We humans evolved in a time before the 80,000 toxic industrial chemicals found in our environment today were introduced into our world, before electromagnetic radiation was everywhere and before we polluted our skies, lakes, rivers, oceans and teeth with mercury and lead.

That is why most people survived with the basic version of the genetic detoxification software encoded in our DNA, which is mediocre at ridding the body of toxins. At the time humans evolved we just didn't need more. Who knew we would be poisoning ourselves and eating a processed, nutrient-depleted diet thousands of years later?

Because most of us didn't require additional detoxification software, almost of half of the population now has a limited capacity to get rid of toxins. These people are missing GSTM1 function -- one of the most important genes needed in the process of creating and recycling glutathione in the body.

Nearly all my very sick patients are missing this function. The one-third of our population that suffers from chronic disease is missing this essential gene. That includes me. Twenty years ago I became mercury poisoned and suffered from chronic fatigue syndrome due to this very problem. My GSTM1 function was inadequate and I didn't produce enough glutathione as a result. Eventually, my body broke down and I became extremely ill ...

This is the same problem I see in so many of my patients. They are missing this critical gene and they descend into disease as a result. Let me explain how this happens ...

The Importance of Glutathione in Protecting Against Chronic Illness

Glutathione is critical for one simple reason: It recycles antioxidants. You see, dealing with free radicals is like handing off a hot potato. They get passed around from vitamin C to vitamin E to lipoic acid and then finally to glutathione which cools off the free radicals and recycles other antioxidants. After this happens, the body can "reduce" or regenerate another protective glutathione molecule and we are back in business.

However, problems occur when we are overwhelmed with too much oxidative stress or too many toxins. Then the glutathione becomes depleted and we can no longer protect ourselves against free radicals, infections, or cancer and we can't get rid of toxins. This leads to further sickness and soon we are in the downward spiral of chronic illness.

But that's not all. Glutathione is also critical in helping your immune system do its job of fighting infections and preventing cancer. That's why studies show that it can help in the treatment of AIDS.(i)

Glutathione is also the most critical and integral part of your detoxification system. All the toxins stick onto glutathione, which then carries them into the bile and the stool -- and out of your body.

And lastly, it also helps us reach peak mental and physical function. Research has shown that raised glutathione levels decrease muscle damage, reduce recovery time, increase strength and endurance and shift metabolism from fat production to muscle development.

If you are sick or old or are just not in peak shape, you likely have glutathione deficiency.
            In fact, the top British medical journal, the Lancet, found the highest glutathione levels in healthy young people, lower levels in healthy elderly, lower still in sick elderly and the lowest of all in the hospitalized elderly. (ii)

Keeping yourself healthy, boosting your performance, preventing disease and aging well depends on keeping your glutathione levels high. I'll say it again ... Glutathione is so important because it is responsible for keeping so many of the keys to UltraWellness optimized.

It is critical for immune function and controlling inflammation. It is the master detoxifier and the body's main antioxidant, protecting our cells and making our energy metabolism run well.

And the good news is that you can do many things to increase this natural and critical molecule in your body. You can eat glutathione-boosting foods. You can exercise. And you can take glutathione-boosting supplements. Let's review more specifics about each.

9 Tips to Optimize your Glutathione Levels

These 9 tips will help you improve your glutathione levels, improve your health, optimize your performance and live a long, healthy life.

Eat Foods that Support Glutathione Production

1. Consume sulfur-rich foods. The main ones in the diet are garlic, onions and the cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, kale, collards, cabbage, cauliflower, watercress, etc.).

2. Try bioactive whey protein. This is great source of cysteine and the amino acid building blocks for glutathione synthesis. As you know, I am not a big fan of dairy. But this is an exception -- with a few warnings. The whey protein MUST be bioactive and made from non-denatured proteins ("denaturing" refers to the breakdown of the normal protein structure). Choose non-pasteurized and non-industrially produced milk that contains no pesticides, hormones, or antibiotics. Immunocal is a prescription bioactive non-denatured whey protein that is even listed in the Physician's Desk Reference.

Exercise for Your Way to More Glutathione

3. Exercise boosts your glutathione levels and thereby helps boost your immune system, improve detoxification and enhance your body's own antioxidant defenses. Start slow and build up to 30 minutes a day of vigorous aerobic exercise like walking or jogging, or play various sports. Strength training for 20 minutes 3 times a week is also helpful.

Take Glutathione Supporting Supplements

One would think it would be easy just to take glutathione as a pill, but the body digests protein -- so you wouldn't get the benefits if you did it this way. However, the production and recycling of glutathione in the body requires many different nutrients and you CAN take these. Here are the main supplements that need to be taken consistently to boost glutathione. Besides taking a multivitamin and fish oil, supporting my glutathione levels with these supplements is the most important thing I do every day for my personal health.

4. N-acetyl-cysteine. This has been used for years to help treat asthma and lung disease and to treat people with life-threatening liver failure from Tylenol overdose. In fact, I first learned about it in medical school while working in the emergency room. It is even given to prevent kidney damage from dyes used during x-ray studies.

5. Alpha lipoic acid. This is a close second to glutathione in importance in our cells and is involved in energy production, blood sugar control, brain health and detoxification. The body usually makes it, but given all the stresses we are under, we often become depleted.

6. Methylation nutrients (folate and vitamins B6 and B12). These are perhaps the most critical to keep the body producing glutathione. Methylation and the production and recycling of glutathione are the two most important biochemical functions in your body. Take folate (especially in the active form of 5 methyltetrahydrofolate), B6 (in active form of P5P) and B12 (in the active form of methylcobalamin).

7. Selenium. This important mineral helps the body recycle and produce more glutathione.

8. A family of antioxidants including vitamins C and E (in the form of mixed tocopherols), work together to recycle glutathione.

9. Milk thistle (silymarin) has long been used in liver disease and helps boost glutathione levels.

So use these nine tips and see how they work to help you optimzie your glutathione levels. When you do, you will take one more step to lifelong vibrant health

Abstracts from the American Library of Medicine:
            From PubMed

Improvement of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis (EAE) by thymoquinone; an oxidative stress inhibitor.

Mohamed A, Shoker A, Bendjelloul F, Mare A, Alzrigh M, Benghuzzi H, Desin T.
            Source

College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada.

Neuroscience. 2012 Sep 6;219:175-82. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2012.05.062. Epub 2012 Jun 4.

The reduced glutathione and S-nitrosothiols levels in acute phase of experimental demyelination--pathophysiological approach and possible clinical relevancy.
            Ljubisavljevic S, Stojanovic I, Pavlovic R, Stojnev S, Stevanovic I, Sokolovic D, Pavlovic D.
            Source:
            Clinic of Neurology, University Clinical Centre of Nis, Boulevard Dr Zorana Djindjica 48, 18000 Nis, Serbia. srljub@gmail.com

Abstract
            Multiple sclerosis (MS) is characterized by inflammatory process associated with nitric oxide (NO) and the related species production in CNS, which can nitrosylate protein thiols and modulate their structure and functions, also reducing the CNS content of redox active compounds, such as glutathione (GSH). We have evaluated the relationships between S-nitrosothiols (RSNO) and GSH in the experimental model of MS - experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), during the treatment with inducible NO synthase inhibitor - aminoguanidine (AG) and thiol donor molecule - N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC).

MATERIAL AND METHODS:
            EAE was induced by myelin basic protein, dissolved in phosphate-buffered saline (PBS), emulsified in the complete Freund's adjuvant (CFA) followed by injections of Pertussis toxin. Animals assigned to the control (PBS), EAE, CFA, EAE+AG, AG, EAE+NAC and NAC groups were scored daily for the clinical signs of EAE. RSNO and GSH were evaluated in whole encephalitic mass and cerebellum.

RESULTS:
            RSNO concentration was increased in EAE-untreated animals compared to the AG and NAC-treated EAE animals (p<0.05). Also, during the treatment with AG and NAC, GSH concentration was increased compared to the untreated animals (p<0.05). The EAE clinical signs were reduced in EAE-treated animals compared to the other groups (p<0.05).

CONCLUSION:
            The findings of our work suggest a potential role of RSNO and GSH in early clinical presentation of experimental MS, that might be also useful as predictive parameters for MS treatment directed to increased GSH and thiol pool in CNS.
            Copyright © 2012 IBRO. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
            PMID: 22677204 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
            The following toggler user interface control may not be accessible. Tab to the next button to revert the control to an accessible version.Destroy user interface control
            Publication Types, MeSH Terms, Substances

============================================

J Altern Complement Med. 2012 Dec 16. [Epub ahead of print]
            Safety Survey of Intranasal Glutathione.
            Mischley LK, Vespignani MF, Finnell JS.
            Source
            Bastyr University Research Institute , Kenmore, WA.
            Abstract
            Abstract Purpose: Glutathione depletion has been documented in several disease states, and exogenous administration has been hypothesized to have therapeutic potential for some conditions. In an effort to reach target tissues of the sinuses and central nervous system (CNS), glutathione is being prescribed as an intranasal spray, although no literature exists to support this mode of administration. The objective of this study was to describe patient-reported outcomes in a population of individuals who have been prescribed intranasal reduced glutathione, (in)GSH. Methods: A survey was designed to assess individuals' perception of tolerability, adverse events, and health benefits associated with (in)GSH use. Using a pharmacy database, 300 individuals were randomly selected to receive a survey; any individual who had received one or more prescriptions for (in)GSH between March 2009 and March 2011 was eligible for participation. Results: Seventy (70) individuals returned the survey (23.3% response rate) from 20 different states. Reported indications for (in)GSH prescriptions were multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) (n=29), allergies/sinusitis (n=25), Parkinson disease (PD) (n=7), Lyme disease (n=3), fatigue (n=2), and other (n=10). Of the respondents, 78.8% (n=52) reported an overall positive experience with (in)GSH, 12.1% (n=8) reported having experienced adverse effects, and 62.1% (n=41) reported having experienced health benefits attributable to (in)GSH use. Over 86% of respondents considered the nasal spray to be comfortable and easy to administer. Conclusions: This is the first study to evaluate patient-reported outcomes among individuals across the country who have been prescribed (in)GSH. The majority of survey respondents considered (in)GSH to be effective and without significant adverse effects. (in)GSH should be further evaluated as a method of treating respiratory and CNS diseases where free-radical burden is a suspected contributor to disease progression.

====================

Pharmacology. 1993;46(2):61-5.
            Cysteine and glutathione deficiency in AIDS patients: a rationale for the treatment with N-acetyl-cysteine.
            Dröge W.
            Source
            Division of Immunochemistry, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, BRD.
            Abstract
            A series of clinical studies and laboratory investigations suggests that the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) may be the consequence of a virus-induced cysteine deficiency. HIV-infected persons at all stages of the disease were found to have decreased plasma cystine and cysteine concentrations and decreased intracellular glutathione levels. In rhesus macaques, cysteine levels decrease already within 1-2 weeks after infection with the closely related virus SIVmac. HIV-infected persons and SIV-infected rhesus macaques have also, on the average, substantially increased plasma glutamate levels. Increased glutamate levels aggravate the cysteine deficiency by inhibiting the membrane transport of cystine. Even moderately elevated extracellular glutamate levels as they occur in HIV-infected persons cause a substantial decrease of intracellular cysteine levels. Clinical studies revealed that individual cystine and glutamate levels are correlated with the individual lymphocyte reactivity and T4+ cell counts but not T8+ cell counts. This phenomenon was demonstrated not only in HIV-infected persons but also in healthy human individuals. The cellular cysteine supply affects amongst others the intracellular glutathione level and IL-2-dependent proliferation of T cells and (inversely) also the activation of the transcription factor NF-kappa B. The cysteine deficiency of HIV-infected persons is, therefore, possibly responsible not only for the cellular dysfunction but also for the overexpression of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), interleukin-2 receptor alpha-chain, and and beta 2-microglobulin. All the corresponding genes are associated with kappa-like enhancer sequences.

Lipoic acid increases glutamate uptake, glutamine synthetase activity and glutathione content in C6 astrocyte cell line.
            Kleinkauf-Rocha J, Bobermin LD, Machado PD, Gonçalves CA, Gottfried C, Quincozes-Santos A.
            Source
            Departamento de Bioquímica, Instituto de Ciências Básicas da Saúde, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil; Fundação de Apoio a Pesquisa e Estudos na Área da Saúde, São Paulo, Brazil.
            Abstract
            Alpha lipoic acid (LA) is a sulfhydryl compound, used as dietary supplement and to treat a variety of conditions associated to oxidative stress. Glial cells are key modulators of neuroprotection. We show here that LA modulates specific glial parameters in C6 astrocyte cell line, such as glutamate uptake, glutamine synthetase (GS) activity and glutathione content, commonly associated with the protective role of glial cells. LA (10 and 50μM) after 24h of treatment significantly decreased the formation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and nitric oxide (NO) levels, and increased glutamate uptake (up to 20%), GS activity (25%) and GSH content (up to 40%). LA increase glutamate uptake probably by decreasing oxidizing conditions and/or by mechanism dependent of protein kinase C (PKC). In contrast, high concentrations of LA (1000μM) decreased these glial functions. Moreover, this concentration increased ROS production and NO levels. In summary, these findings show that low doses of LA were able to modulate glial functions and it appears to have remarkable therapeutic potential in neurological diseases involving oxidative stress by improving glutamatergic metabolism.
            Copyright © 2012 ISDN. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

===========
            Abstract
            Experimental Allergic Encephalomyelitis (EAE) is an autoimmune demyelinating disease of the central nervous system that is widely accepted as an animal model for the human multiple sclerosis. Oxidative stress appears to play a role in the onset and progression of EAE. We reasoned that decreasing oxidative stress might ameliorate symptoms and signs of EAE. Thymoquinone is reported to inhibit oxidative stress. One way of decreasing oxidative stress is to induce glutathione (GSH). We tested the impact of Thymoquinone (1 mg/kg, injected at tail vein) in our EAE model. We induced (EAE) in female Lewis rats using myelin basic protein emulsified with complete Freund's adjuvant. 24 animals were placed into three groups: A) Rats with EAE B) EAE rats with concomitant five day injection of Thymoquinone days 1-5, C) EAE rats with five doses of Thymoquinone injected at day 12-17. Twenty-eight days later, animals were sacrificed; spinal cord tissues collected for glutathione (GSH). RESULTS: 63% of animals in group "A" developed hind limb weakness and/or paralysis while 37% developed mild tail weakness, perivascular inflammation and low spinal cord GSH level. 25% of animals in group "B" exhibited mild tail and hind limb weakness and 75% animals had no symptoms, no perivascular inflammation and high spinal cord GSH level. 63% of animals of group "C" showed improving symptoms following Thymoquinone injections, no perivascular inflammation and higher GSH level while 37% of animals showed no symptoms prior and post Thymoquinone injections. Clinical symptoms correlated well with perivascular inflammation and GSH level. Animals received Thymoquinone at day 12-17 had higher GSH level, no perivascular inflammation and no symptoms compared with other groups. CONCLUSION: Thymoquinone inhibited oxidative stress which leads into improvement in our EAE animals. Thymoquinone may have a role in treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
            PMID: 12724933 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
            ===========================

Exp Gerontol. 2013 Feb 20. pii: S0531-5565(13)00045-4. doi: 10.1016/j.exger.2013.02.014. [Epub ahead of print]
            Maintaining Good Hearing: Calorie Restriction, Sirt3, and Glutathione.
            Han C, Someya S.
            Source
            Department of Aging and Geriatric Research, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA.
            Abstract
            Reducing calorie intake extends the lifespan of a variety of experimental models and delays progression of age-related hearing loss (AHL). AHL is a common feature of aging and is characterized by age-related decline of hearing associated with loss of sensory hair cells, spiral ganglion neurons, and/or stria vascularis degeneration in the cochlea. Sirtuins are a family of NAD+-dependent enzymes that regulate lifespan in lower organisms and have emerged as broad regulators of cellular fate. Our recent study indicated that mitochondrial Sirt3, a member of the sirtuin family, mediates the anti-aging effects of calorie restriction (CR) on AHL in mice. Interestingly, we also found that weight loss alone may not be sufficient for maintaining normal hearing. How does CR slow the progression of AHL through regulation of Sirt3? Here we review the evidence that during CR, Sirt3 slows the progression of AHL by promoting the glutathione-mediated mitochondrial antioxidant defense system in mice. A significant reduction in food consumption in one's daily life may not be a desirable and realistic option for most people. Therefore, identification/discovery of compounds that induce the activation of SIRT3 or glutathione reductase, or that increase mitochondrial glutathione levels has potential for maintaining good hearing through mimicking the anti-aging effects of CR in human inner ear cells.
            Copyright © 2012. Published by Elsevier Inc.

Comment

Working...
            X