B-12 dosage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B-12 dosage?

Hi, I am really confused when it comes to B12. Why do I see everyone taking mega doses of B12. I went to buy some and the smallest amount the store had was 1000mcg this really confuses me. Recommended dietary allowances (RDAs) are 2.4 micrograms daily for adults. Can anyone explain this.
    Thanks, PEACE
    Tortis

I just found out my B-12 was way low too. I started taking the highest dose of B-12 they had at the store while waiting to start my B-12 shots. I told my dr. that and she said it didn't really matter what dose because I'd only absorb a really small amount of the B-12 from taking the pills, which is why she's having me do the shots.

I actually felt better after the first 2 shots (maybe wishful thinking), but feel like crap since. I hope it don't take too long for it to build up in my system.

Comment

I can't explain why the dosages (RDA) are the low numbers that they are except to say that those numbers represent the levels to 'sustain life'. 2.4 mcgs is a joke.
      I take 2000mcgs daily and I am going to raise my dosages to 5000mcgs daily. By the way, If you take B-12, it must be taken sublingually. It must dissolve under one's tongue. Or be shot in one's muscles (IM). If you swallow the B-12 pill, it does little to no good. Good luck

Comment

In addition to what JerryD posted, it's important to get the B12 that is made from methylcobalamin and not the most commonly used cyanocobalamin. Your body has to convert the cyan version to the methyl version.

I've also read that one should shoot for close to 500 pmol/L on a blood test. 133 is considered normal.

Don't know what that means dosage wise.

Comment

So, your goal is to get your levels up to near 500 pmol/L. You need to take as high a dose as it takes to raise your levels to that number on a blood test. The same applies to vitamin D supplementation. You need to shoot for your levels to be between 60ng/mL to 100ng/mL. I reference Dr. Mayer Eisenstein's video on You Tube.
          The RDA's are a joke and strictly adhering to those standards will result in no gain for you. I am sure they appear adequate to someone. Not me.

Comment

Here is a very informative write up on B-12 I found...
            http://t.co/odpiVfso

Comment

Vitamins???

I have been researching different vitamin supplements and now I am confused and frustrated.

I take vitamin D and am now reading about B12. Please share with me your thoughts and discoveries around vitamins and supplemts.

Thank You.

Comment

Working...
              X