Looking for a very good quality olive oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a very good quality olive oil

Like the kind they have in good restaurants, mild ,that i can dip bread in. The last 2 I've tried left a peppery aftertaste and gave me heartburn.

Just trying to get some health benefits of a good oil, for some reason fish oil is making my tinnitus louder these days.

I like the Costco brand one. It isn't awesome, but good and a good value.

The Colavita dipping olive oil is very good, but also very expensive. Fruity long finish, no bitterness.
    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

The peppery aftertaste is actually a mark of quality. The more expensive and fresher oils will have that "peppery finish". Google it and you'll see. The Food Channel has a good write up about this.

The milder forms may not be not extra virgin. You can buy Olive Oil that has been processed in order to be mild, but then you lose the benefits of eating one of the only truly processed, not heated or chemically extracted oils out there.

Comment

oh, that's good to know. guess i'll quit trying to avoid the peppery taste then.

Just bought braggs organic, unrefined, but haven't tasted it yet.

Comment

I thought the exact same thing until I bought a very good oil from Trader Joe's and wrote them, asking about the quality. Consider as well that it lets you know it's real and fresh and not fake.

Comment

America's Test Kitchen on PBS recommends Colavita Extra Virgin olive oil and Lucini Italia. My grocery store carries both of them, but they're expensive. They say that Columela is highly recommended, but I don't know where to buy it. Bertolli and Pompeian extra virgin are recommended with reservations so they should be OK for cooking but maybe not for dipping or salad dressing. I cook with Bertolli and like it very well but I don't use it for dipping or dressings so I don't know how it would be for straight gourmet eating.

Comment

If you have a trader joes near you, they have what you're looking for - inexpensive, high quality, not so bitter olive oil.

Comment

Working...
              X