On not overindulging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On not overindulging

My family and I went out for lunch this afternoon. I'm on the OMS (Swank) diet and my wife is counting calories (and winning) so we share a vegan Mediterranean plate. My daughter had her favorite and got a the Orange Chicken plate. With her good sense, she got steamed rice and grilled vegetables. But I have to tell you - that single plate of food was enough for 2 people in any other country except the US.

So I kept on my diet. I will do so on New Years and I'm not suffering. I watch what people eat and I am so thankful I "can't" eat those things - I choose not to.

Anyway, just be careful and don't figure you owe it to yourself or succumb to pressure. Keep with the program.

And Happy Holidays.

I like your title and my philosophy just in general is that overindulging in any area is not a good idea. Moderation is the key to a healthy, balanced mental and physical existence, imvho.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy New Year!
    Jules
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

BigA,
      Your post is an inspiration. Good job.
      Food is an addiction, and I am an addict. I admit it. But your posts, along with others here, are a reminder that the addiction CAN be broken.
      Thank you for being there. I think of this site as my touchstone against a background of MS insanity. I applaud you and your efforts to inspire us through you posts. Merry Christmas

Comment

Jerry,

I agree - it's the only way to describe people eating way more than they know they should, having difficulty standing, have ill health - and keep eating. Can you think of any other way except "Addiction". It's true and we have to break the addiction. Like an addiction to smoking, I think it begins with the belief that it brings pleasure - something needed to escape the moment and many of the things to escape are caused by the supposed cure.

And I agree - it can be broken. All the best in 2013 - a good stable year for us.

Comment

As a family we eat healthy & mostly organic. But at Christmas & New Years we eat what we want,cookies, My 1lb.box of Godiva Dark asst. chocolate (yum), wonderful imported Irish Chedder Cheese & French Brie. I always take my Daughter & G'daughter to a special lunch,every Christmas,we eat a wonderful meal don't worry about what it is,healthy ect.
          Does it wreck our life plan? No,do we go back to our regular eating after New Years? YES! Does it kill us to have "Bread Pudding w/ wiskey sauce" as our dessert? NO!
          I just can't understand the need to "think twice" at a special once a year meal,or Holliday week.
          I'm sorry I have enough "can't do's" w/ this MonSter eating at these special days Isn't one of them.
          God Bless Owl nona

Comment

To each his own. I believe that every cookie and every piece of salami is harmful to my MS, so I haven't even tasted either for years now.

What I have yet to understand is the hostility people feel for those of us who keep our diets. I told an old friend I didn't eat meat and she launched into a tirade about how cavemen ate meat, as if I had challenged her to an intellectual dual. She calmed down when she learned I ate fish, which is also perplexing.

Eat whatever you like and put some bacon and whipped cream on top. Those of us that follow a diet are not "eating healthy", we're following a very specific, clinically tested diet (well, Swank anyway was tested).

And we're happy doing so.

Comment

Working...
            X