Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ewizabeth
    replied
    I take a low dose statin and I also watch my diet carefully and I'm doing fine. If your doctor watches your symptoms carefully then you should be fine with statins. I have elevated cholesterol so that's why I'm taking statins but I also have MS.

Leave a comment:

• Redwings
    replied
    Hi BigA:
    The study about statins from ECTRIMS has nothing whatsoever to do with diet and isn't proof of anything regarding diet and MS.

What in the article gave you the idea that the benefit statins may offer people with MS (at least in this study) is from the lowering of cholesterol, and what supports your position that diet, therefore, has the same effect? How does the study prove that connection?

From your post, you're asserting that statins and diet are equivalent in their beneficial effect on MS, and by the same mechanism. How, then, do you explain the studies in which statins had no effect on MS? Because your position makes statins and diet equivalent, those studies are then clinical proof that diet has no effect on MS. Based on those studies (which also had absolutely nothing to do with diet), your thread title would have to be "More evidence that diet has no effect on MS."

Where is the evidence you're basing your premise on?

Leave a comment:

• BigA
    Guest replied
    Jerry: Thanks. I appreciate it. For the record, I do diet, exercise, meditation and Avonex.

Snoopy: I put this in the diet section because I am not advocating statins. But it does help prove diet, espeically Swank type diets (IMO). My cholesterol is below rock bottom since giving up meat and dairy.

Techie: It's up to you, but obviously you're thinking about it or you woudln't have read or commented. All I can say is that milk is the one thing that's most easily replaced and your tastes change.

And for all those who think they'd suffer on a diet: Try it for 6 months and see how you feel.

Leave a comment:

• JerryD
    replied
    I appreciate your attention to this and other diet topics. You always get my attention because you realize that pharmaceuticals are NOT the ONLY way to beat this MonSter. And you clearly articulate the facts supporting that viewpoint. That point of view runs counter to that which is common and overwhelming. For that, alone, I thank you. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• techie
    replied
    I love my milk

I could live without meat but milk! Ain't going to happen. Even the occasional chocolate milk shake. I can live with just having an occasional shake.
    But never again?
    Never happen
    techie

Leave a comment:

• SNOOPY
    replied
    BigA,

The article you have run across is not new news and the thought of statins improving MS has changed. I would suggest anyone who is on or goes on a statin to use extreme caution.

In my opinion Statins should not be used with MS patients. There are some serious side effects which can worsen some of the symptoms seen in MS -- fatigue, weakness, memory loss/cognitive problems.

There is documentation of this (I am one of them) and why the FDA put out more warnings on Statins.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm293623.htm

Statins can be dangerous to patients even those without MS. When you have MS it becomes difficult to know if you are progressing or if it is the Statin...until you go off the Statin and see how you feel.

Leave a comment:

• BigA
    started a topic More evidence of diet and MS

More evidence of diet and MS

This is an research paper just published that shows that Statins (drugs which reduce cholesterol) reduced brain atrophy in people with Progressive MS.

A diet (not just a good diet) such as OMS which cuts out all meat and dairy will significantly lower your cholesterol rock bottom without having to take large amounts of more drugs.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingC.../ECTRIMS/35241
Working...
X