? For those of you following a diet plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? For those of you following a diet plan

I've noticed several people stating they feel great when they are following one of the MS diets. Would you please elaborate? Does feeling great mean that you are symptom free? Or not tired? Or do you feel normal? Is it possible to feel normal with MS? I'm new to this and still in the diagnosis process. I guess I'm looking for some hope.

Doing diet

Hello! I began my ms diet about 9 days ago. I am combining different ms diet strategies. I* gave up- all gluten foods. wheat. flour, eggs, dairy, I eat fish, tuna, salmon and chicken. lots of green leafy veggies, lots of fruits and veggies that are not starchy. I read labels. I just purchased coq10, fish oil and vitamin d, which hoping these along with diet; physical therapy and positive attitude, which I get from all of you will help me succeed and beat this. Hopefully by next month I can share with you that this is working. I am also on DMD.

Comment

I have been on and off different diet plans for most of this year. I haven't gone whole hog and I guess I would feel better if I did commit. I have a feeling that some MSer's think there is a cure like aspirin cures a headache. This disease doesn't have a cure just 'stop gap' treatments.
      This disease doesn't leave your body ever, no matter what drugs you take or whatever other method you use. If there was ever a time to take control of your health, weight, etc. this is the time.

The work done by Dr.Roy Swank, even though it is often overlooked by the 'establishment', is one of the best documented diet plans for treating MS. He followed some of his patients for 30 tears. His book clearly explains the eating plan fully. Dr. McDougall, a student of Dr. Swank, has done much the same thing, albeit totally vegetarian.
      The primary thing you need to understand is that you need to follow the diets, faithfully, for 3 months to begin to see improvements.
      I hope you find something in these plans to suit you. The Swank and McDougall plans are in their books sold on Amazon. Good luck.

Comment

so far im lucky so i would say im 95% recovered from my MS. When I say I feel great I have energy and feel like doing anything and everything.

Comment

I've been on the overcoming Multiple sclerosis version of the swank diet for a few years now. The promise of the diet is that you will have fewer relapses and lower disease activity.

As time goes on, your body has a chance to make some repairs. Exercise, meditation and life choices are also part of the program. How well you do depends on many factors, including how bad you are to begin with, how determined your disease is and how determined you are.

Comment

I started with MS in 2004, started following essentially the Best Bet Diet within months. Took over 1-year to start feeling better. Sought advice from Tara on supplements and she helped greatly in putting in the last pieces of the puzzle.

Now, I am as close to being normal as a 40-something YO can be. I work, etc. I just got home from the gym and did 40-minutes on a eliptical machine followed by 35-minutes of weight training. Do it 2-3 times/week.

Don't get me wrong it took years including dizziness and fatigue. Now, I'm at the point of not knowing what is just from aging. I easily keep up with all the 40 and younger crowd.

I have never used meds. I talked to my PCP about my condition, she said my initial disease presentation was undeniable (multiple lesions- neurologist said too many to bother counting, including some larger than 11 mm, and total loss of hearing in one ear). Here I am 8 years later with no new symptoms. Diet, luck, I don't know for sure, but I know one thing- I will continue with diet and supplements.
            Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Thanks, Twenty Miles,

I wish you continued good health, free of MS symptoms. I hope to share in your healthy experiences.

It would be great if you elaborated on your methods and experiences. And any pit falls ! And set backs !

Do you cheat on your diet? Or are you always faithful? Do you snack? Do you eat at restaurants? What kinds of supplements do you take?
              If you elaborate, you would help me make decisions. And I'm sure there are others out there that may be on the fence about the value of MS diets.

Comment

I don't cheat save the occasional bite of lean meat - but never a drop of dairy or any saturated fat. Absolutely nothing fried.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                  Thanks, Twenty Miles,
                  I wish you continued good health, free of MS symptoms. I hope to share in your healthy experiences.

It would be great if you elaborated on your methods and experiences. And any pit falls ! And set backs !

Do you cheat on your diet? Or are you always faithful? Do you snack? Do you eat at restaurants? What kinds of supplements do you take?
                  If you elaborate, you would help me make decisions. And I'm sure there are others out there that may be on the fence about the value of MS diets.
                  Jerry, No problem- I hope this helps.

I have eliminated: gluten, legumes, milk/most dairy

I have reduced: refined sugar, saturated fats, refined foods, processed foods, sodium/nitrates-nitrites etc., alcohol, high oxalate foods, sweeteners such as asaprtame and Splenda

I have increased: "good" fats olive/flax/etc., fruits and vegetables, eggs, and water intake, along with adding sea salt and apple cider vinegar.

For supplements I take: CO Q10, Fish Oil, Magnesium/Calcium, Resveratrol, lots of Vitamin D, Live B Complex, a couple different digestive one such as Pro-Biotics, ALA/ALC, L Arganine, and maybe others I have forgotten.

I was blessed with strong will-power, don't take credit for it, it's just the way I'm made. I never cheat on the eliminated items and I mean NEVER. The indulgence items I will partake in are chocolate (it has to be top notch/very high cocoa), and occasional fine wine (love reds).

I still eat out, know the places to go. There are quite a few places that are already GF. I pack a healthy "snack kit" when I travel- many times it has saved me and work mates when stuck on airport layovers.

MS hit me with a vengence in 2004. I was in bad shape dizzy, lost hearing, numbness, etc. Diet took some time. I really didn't start "feeling" remarkably better until I eliminated legumes. I experimented with lots of supplements and approaches. Hit and miss until I sought Tara's services. She truly helped put the last pieces of the puzzle together, besides saving me lots of money on wasted supplements.

I speculated on my approach and with input from many sources (and help from Tara), I "listened" to my body and pieced together the best I could. It was a tough decision not to go on meds early on, but it turns out I've been able to avoid lots of injections etc.

I don't have any scientific proof. I do have MRI reports that showed very active disease and progression on subsequent MRI's and then after diet zero disease activity.

The last time I saw my neurologist he said, keep doing what your doing, I don't want to see you unless you have new symptoms, now go live your life and enjoy your beautiful wife. I took his advice

I highly recommend seeking Tara's advice. I went to my PCP got the blood tests Tara requested. Faxed everything and we spoke on the phoe twice. She is quick and to the point. She saved me from some of my bad supplement choices and helped with some straight to the point advice. She is ahead of anything you will get from a dietician etc. (and trust me I have access to two dieticians that report directly to me at work).
                  Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Thank you very much to everyone who has responded to my questions. I find it very encouraging that there are some people who feel normal or near normal. It gives me hope.

Thank you Twenty Miles especially for getting so specific. I'm just at the beginning of this MS experience, trying to learn as much as I can and you shared some great info. I'm thrilled to hear you are doing so well and hope I can do the same. Really, I hope that for everyone but I do understand that not everyone will have the same outcome with this strange disease.

Comment

Thank you Twenty Miles,
                      Sounds like you 'got the tiger by the tail'. Your post is 'the bomb'. If it can be done, sounds as if you have found the key. I hope I can find the key, as well. Good luck and thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                      X