Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Omega 3 fish oil, Is 20mg daily too much? As per Jelinek's program.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Omega 3 fish oil, Is 20mg daily too much? As per Jelinek's program.

I'm trying to follow George Jelinek's program and in it he recommends 20mg omega 3 fish oil.
    I would consider this dose but the possibility of thinning my blood too much and the potential issues with this concerns me.

What do you think? Are any of you taking this amount?

I don't take that amount of omega-3 fish oil, I take 360 mg of it. In addition to the omega-3, I also take 600 mg of straight fish oil. I hope this helps you some, I know it doesn't specifically answer your question.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Oops sorry I meant to type 20 grams, not mg!

Comment

WOW THAT IS A LOT!!!!!!!where do you even find that kind of quantity?
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hunterd most capsules are 1 gram each....imagine taking 20!

Comment

Many people are doing it for years now. I take an equivalent amount (more, actually) in flax seed oil for 2 years now without an ill effects.

I realize it seems like a lot, but the quantity is based on research done, not on Jelenik's own theories.

Finally, the amount of fish oil is based on the amount of EPA and DHA. With the concentrated pills now available, you won't need to swallow 20 pills.

In the studies where they have measured the dose of omega 3s to get the optimal immune benefit, they have used standard strength fish oil. This has 120mg DHA and 180mg EPA in each 1000mg (1g, or 1ml) capsule. The studies suggest that a dose of around 20g (20mls or 20 capsules) of this standard strength fish oil gives you the optimal immune benefit. You can of course get refined fish oil where these constituents (the actual omega 3s DHA and EPA) are concentrated, and so this dose needs to be adjusted accordingly. If for instance a super strength fish oil had 240mg DHA and 360mg EPA in each capsule, you would need to take only 10.

You can read about it here:

http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...esources/FAQs/

I encourage you to do the program. I'm very healthy now after 2 years and just down to my weight from college.

try it, you'll like it. More imporantly, you'll feel it. Do the rest of the program and the reading as well.

Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks BigA,

I'm aware that many people take that amount but i don't want to be one of those who will haemhorrage or get some bleeding issue!

I'm taking 6 grams now but I might increase that to 10 for now and then see.

Comment

The fish oil was too expensive, so I did 1/2 flax oil and then 1/2 fish oil. I reccomend you look in your vitamin store for fresh oils. They don't even taste fishy. Some taste like dessert.

Comment

The upper doses I use are for patients with depression and pain. In the areas of 6-8, 10g of Tuna oil which translates (in my particular product) to about 1800- 3200mgDHA and 240 - 600mg EPA.
                  Regular doses for most patients are about 4800mg of the Tuna oil.

Make sure any product you use contains vit E as a preservative and of course must be independantly tested for mercury, lead, PCBs,.... especially if using large fish products.

It be interesting to see if any one is measuring prothrombin times (clotting times)with large doses of Omega 3 oils. ??
                  NutritionTara
                  Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X