pickle juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pickle juice

Went to the neuro today. I asked for an rx for a mild muscle relaxer b/c my rt calf/foot gets uncomfortably tight more frequently now. Magnesium doesn't cut it anymore for my leg (still enough for my bladder). She gave me a rx for Baclofen but ... she also recommended: dill pickle juice (1T), yellow mustard (1t), Shepp's brand tonic water or calcium.

My question: why does pickle juice work, specifically dill pickle juice? Is it the vinegar, sugar, pickling spices?

Why yellow mustard?
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Is it supposed to make you throw up?
    That sounds like the stuff we used to dare each other to drink in college.

One thing about pickle brine, it can be loaded with salt (sodium).
    The strangest "fix" I've ever heard for muscle cramping was told to me by a nurse.

Take a bar of soap and put it under the sheets at the foot of your bed.

Comment

Tonic water

Check to see if it has Quinine in it.
      Used to be Quinine was prescribed for restless leg syndrome until they took it off the market.
      The rest sounds like stuff to make you throw up
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

Techie, yes I'm told that brand of tonic water has quinine in it, that's wh/y it works.

Thankfully the PA didn't say to mix all of this together!

I'm not a fan of plain yellow mustard so I'm going to try the other stuff first. Already drank some pickle juice - glad I like dill pickles! Just 1 tablespoon won't have too much salt or sugar.

I do have an rx if these fail!
        DX 10/2008
        Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

My mom swears by the bar of soap in the bed. Try it and let me know if it works for you.

Comment

Pickle Juice

Toomnyhats,

Sometimes I crave pickle juice strangely. Just make sure you don't bathe in it...........otherwise our trip to NASA is OFF. haha.
            RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

The reason, I think, why soap, particularly Ivory Soap, works at relieving muscle cramps / jerks when placed under your bed sheets is that there is a lot of Magnesium in soap and Magnesium is easily absorbed through the skin. Read-up on Ivory Soap and you'll find it very high in Magnesium.

Then do a little research on Magnesium health benefits (google: magnesium multiple sclerosis twitching jerking).

Magnesium aids nerve transmission.

Add Calcium for muscle contraction.

Behind every folk remedy is science, like Pickle Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar (google: apple cider vinegar multiple sclerosis). ACV contains lot's of Malic Acid, which is found in Apples, which are good for your skin and oral health. Malic Acid is often found in cosmetics and toothpaste. Malic Acid is the precursor to Fumaric Acid in the Citric Acid Cycle - the way our cells produce energy.

Dimetheyl Fumarate, or "Fumaric Acid Esters", is a distilled form of Fumaric Acid. Both Dimethyl Fumarate and Fumaric Acid have long been used by Dermatologists to treat Psoriasis.

The new Biogen drug, "BG12" which everyone is so excited about is Dimetheyl Fumarate, sold as "Fumaderm" in Europe for Psoriasis. Dimetheyl Fumarate is also showing efficacy in other autoimmune conditions, like Rheumatoid Arthritis and Crohn's, and even cancer.

So Apples, ACV, Malic Acid are related to the new MS drug. Why?

Because they all serve to release Endorphins and Endorphins are Hormones that regulate the immune system and in autoimmune diseases like MS, something is wrong with the immune system. Endorphins modulate T-cell proliferation and rogue T-cells are what's attacking your myelin sheath.

Other activities also produce Endorphins, like sunshine/vitamin D, exercise, spicey foods, music, dark chocolate, sex, etc. The spices Tumeric (Curcumin), Cinnamon and Saffron are all being researched as MS treatments.

LDN works by producing Endorphins.

So if you've got MS, you're probably wise to bathe using Ivory Soap, eat an apple-a-day, spend time in the sun, exercise and find the nearest Indian restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by Mynamegoeshere1 View Post
                Just make sure you don't bathe in it...........otherwise our trip to NASA is OFF. haha.
                You don't like "eau de dill pickles"?
                DX 10/2008
                Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Working...
                X