Protandim supplement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protandim supplement

Does anyone take this? My sister is adamant that I start taking it. Yet when I googled it there was a ton of links that said," Protandim scams".

Just another MLM scam? I told her I would check here to see what you think.

Thanks!
    Opiegirl, Dx 1991
    Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
    Estriol 9/12-present
    Still Hopeful.

Hi opiegirl:
    Just so you know, asking whether or not something is a "scam" is a marketing technique used to lure potential buyers to a website that actually sells the product. The website explains why the product isn't a scam and adds the usual sales copy. The idea is that the potential customer, being relieved to read that the product is really "good" after all, will decide to buy right then and there from the website they're already on. So you can't judge anything from an ad or search result that uses the word "scam."

Getting past the sales aspect, low levels of glutathione have been associated with the degenerative (secondary progressive) phase of MS. There is scientific evidence that increased levels of glutathione can be beneficial for MS.

Dimethyl fumarate, which is used as a treatment for psoriasis, and a formulation of which is in the pipeline for MS as BG-12, involves glutathione. Some people with MS take the supplement N-acetyl-cystine, which is a precursor to glutathione.

Dr. David Perlmutter is a neurologist known for his advocacy of nutritional supplements in neurological health. He has long been a proponent of glutathione and its role in brain health and in reducing oxidative stress. Drs. Mehmet Oz and Mark Hyman have spoken of the benefits of glutathione. And if you dig deeper into the research, other credible proponents will surface.

All of this is relevant because Protandim is reported to substantially increase the body's production of glutathione. While that alone is supposed to be beneficial from an anti-aging standpoint, it opens the door to possibly being beneficial for MS as well.

It might be unfortunate that Protandim is sold by MLM, because that certainly doesn't help its credibility. It depends on how believable you find the claims that it increases production of glutathione. Its main ingredients are all botanicals that are individually thought to have health benefits: milk thistle, bacopa, ashwagandha root, green tea and turmeric. If you're still interested, you could try taking all of those supplements individually, or you could try Protandim and see what happens.

Comment

"Protandim is an "herbal supplement" based on extracts from milk thistle seeds, bacopa, ashwagandha root, green tea leaves, and turmeric"

Out of all that you can just take green tea which is suppose to help with weight loss and milk thistle which is supposed to clean the liver and clear acne. Be careful with milk thistle though, some people have bad reactions to it. All that other stuff I haven't heard huge benefits from.

A lot of this herbal stuff is just a huge waste of money. I take about 20 pills every morning just in case though :-)

Comment

Thanks for you insight. I am going to give it a try. My sister is going to buy my first two months supply, so I'm not out $$.

Taking one pill is better than taking 20.
        Opiegirl, Dx 1991
        Have never used DMD's.

Estriol 9/12-present
        Still Hopeful.

Comment

Bananas

Bananas are high in potassium. So why not try eating one of those a day?
          techie
          Another pirated saying:
          Half of life is if.
          When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
          Dogs Rule!

Comment

Originally posted by techie View Post
            Bananas are high in potassium. So why not try eating one of those a day?
            techie
            Potassium has not been mentioned before on this thread.

And to anyone who is interested in trying Protandim but doesn't want to get involved in a multi-level marketing scheme, Protandim is available from Amazon.

Comment

Thanks Sequoia for the Amazon tip. I would much rather purchase from there.
              Opiegirl, Dx 1991
              Have never used DMD's.

Estriol 9/12-present
              Still Hopeful.

Comment

sorry

Read the word wrong
                techie
                Another pirated saying:
                Half of life is if.
                When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
                Dogs Rule!

Comment

Opiegirl,

Did you ever try the portandim? A friend just mentioned that supplement to me and implied it would really help my MS. I am interested to hear your experience!

Comment

I did try it for several months. It made me sick to my stomach and I really felt like it wasn't doing much except taking my $40 per month.
                    Opiegirl, Dx 1991
                    Have never used DMD's.

Estriol 9/12-present
                    Still Hopeful.

Comment

Working...
                    X