Lots of questions about diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of questions about diet

I have quite a few questions about choosing/using an MS diet. I've been poking around threads and getting some answers, but still not finding out everything I'm thinking about.

1. Is there a thread someone can link to that outlines Tara's "recommendations"? I see it referred to several times and I know I've seen it at some point, but I sure can't find it all in one place.

2. Is there value in going on a special diet even though I'm getting ready to start a drug therapy? Up until now I was thinking a special diet would be in lieu of DMD's, but I don't know for sure.

3. How strict do I really have to be? For instance, I've been gluten free for about 4 months now. I've been making my own granola, but I'm not purchasing "certified GF" oats. And a few times we haven't had GF soy sauce, so I've just used what I have on hand. Is it "all or nothing" when using these diets when it comes to gluten, dairy, etc.???

4. How do you stay motivated to stay on a diet if there's no immediate help/effect that you are getting? I don't have huge symptoms that I am trying to relieve....just mostly thinking of a preventative effect, I guess. So it's hard for me because if I eat a flour tortilla or "cheat" in some way, I don't feel any immediate effect of that, so it feels hard to stay disciplined.

Originally posted by momof8 View Post
    I have quite a few questions about choosing/using an MS diet. I've been poking around threads and getting some answers, but still not finding out everything I'm thinking about.

1. Is there a thread someone can link to that outlines Tara's "recommendations"? I see it referred to several times and I know I've seen it at some point, but I sure can't find it all in one place.

Answer: No, there isn't a thread dedicated to Tara's recommendations.

We could surely use one! Maybe if you asked for her recommendations in a separate thread, she'd be sure to see it.

From what I remember:

No gluten.
    No margarine or other trans fats. Use quality oil such as extra virgin olive & coconut oils, and flaxseed oil, plus organic butter from grass-fed cows.
    Dairy is best consumed in cultured form such as yogurt and kefir, or as goat or sheep's milk.
    Legumes are best consumed in sprouted form.
    Soybeans are best consumed in fermented form, such as miso, shoyu, natto and tempeh.

2. Is there value in going on a special diet even though I'm getting ready to start a drug therapy? Up until now I was thinking a special diet would be in lieu of DMD's, but I don't know for sure.

Answer: There are many MSers who are on a DMD and on a special diet. There is no proof that special diets work, but a lot of anecdotal evidence that says they work. It's a matter of maximizing your chances against the MonSter.

3. How strict do I really have to be? For instance, I've been gluten free for about 4 months now. I've been making my own granola, but I'm not purchasing "certified GF" oats. And a few times we haven't had GF soy sauce, so I've just used what I have on hand. Is it "all or nothing" when using these diets when it comes to gluten, dairy, etc.???

Answer: Tara says absolutely no gluten...not even a trace!

4. How do you stay motivated to stay on a diet if there's no immediate help/effect that you are getting? I don't have huge symptoms that I am trying to relieve....just mostly thinking of a preventative effect, I guess. So it's hard for me because if I eat a flour tortilla or "cheat" in some way, I don't feel any immediate effect of that, so it feels hard to stay disciplined.

Answer: Again, your motivation is maximizing your chances against the MonSter. Just because you don't have "huge symptoms" yet (congratulations!) doesn't mean you won't get worse eventually, since it's in the nature of MS to progress.
    There! My answers are under your quoted questions. I hope they helped.

Comment

Sequoia,
      You're right !!
      This disease is is MonSter and not to be played with. If anyone doesn't get it, that they need to be eating right, living right and doing right, the MonSter WILL sneak up and bite you in the ***. Doing stupid and uninformed stuff will lead to quickly hastening declining health.

Comment

Thank you Sequoia for such a detailed response.

Nutrition/food is something we introduce into our bodies daily
        When I think, (or am asked) the importance of a "clean" diet we have to look at the way our guts are designed.

2/3s of your lymphatic system is around the small intestines. An area called the Peyers Patch. The lymphatic system is responsible from picking up 'waste'.

To me that reveals the importance of protecting the body from things we ingest (basically).

More and more we continue to learn the connection between gut health and overall health.

Take it day by day and do the best your can.
        The more you comply - the easier it gets.......

Good Luck
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
        X