Purchasing Supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing Supplements

Is any brand better than the other? There are so many out there, with varying prices, I'm wondering which brand is better and safer. For example, was in Target today looking to buy biotin - Nature's made (I think that's the correct name) was $9.29 for 60 pills, 2500mg. The Target brand was $2.49 for 90 pills, 1000mg. Both of those dosages are well over the daily recommended amount.

Its2much,

I always wonder about that too. I did find that Vitacost had the cheapest prices that I've found.

Comment

It's Nature Made, and they're cut-rate (cheap) vitamins sold at chain stores like Walgreen's. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't good, though, since there's no national regulation of supplements.

I tend to buy the older, better-established brands with a reputation for quality. Schiff or Nature's Best for example. But again, there's no guarantee.

It helps to have been employed in natural food co-ops, whole food stores or health food stores for decades, but comparatively few people have that background.

Comment

Yes there are better brands of vitamins and supplements on the market. I have been involved with the industry since the 1970's as a Shaklee products representative. I buy my vitamins and supplements from one of the on-line vitamin stores.

I also use Vitamin Shoppe stuff that I find on the shelf, if they have the dosages I need. They carry several top end lines as well as their 'house' brand. but I will never buy my products at Target or Walmart.

Those stores do not carry top end quality vitamins.

Comment

Thank you

Do you mind sharing what online retailer you use?

Comment

Buying the cheapest doesn't mean they're neccessarily better. Do you always buy the cheapest food?

I buy my supplements from Swanson's Vitamins online. While the prices seem fair I like that they offer a variety of brands. I order the NOW brand often.

I think it's the responsibility of the retailer to offer a quality product and you're probably better off buying supplements from a company/store that specializes just in supplements. If they sell crap their business will likely suffer where someone like Walmart won't really notice and is more concerned only with offering the lowest price.

Comment

I like vitacost.com
              The quality is good and the prices are reasonable.

Comment

I buy my stuff online from iHerb. Good prices, if not necessarily the cheapest, a wide range of brands, no shipping, and they list the "use by" dates on all their prodects.

The only thing about buying online is that it's best not to do it during the summer months when the shipment may be en route for several days in the broiling heat. I order the whole summer's worth in April or May.

Comment

I used to subscribe to ConsumerLab.com, an organization that tests vitamins and supplements. Generally, they've found that the major brands -- whether expensive or cheap -- are all good for content and quality. Despite that, they still find problems with individual products in major and minor lines as far as too much or too little of an ingredient, or with contamination of some kind. But on the whole, their testing shows that any major brand seems to be fine.

Comment

Like Sequoia, I use iHerb.com but if you Google calcium 2 AEP you will get several sites that specialize in quality supplements. But for very common vitamins like vitamin D and C, I just go to the nearest Vitamin Shoppe store. They also sell their products on-line.

Comment

Anything food based - synthetics will go right through you.
                      There are no problems, only solutions. - John Lennon

Comment

SOLGAR its supplements are 100% natural, vegan and allegenic free. they are like the Mercedes Nenz of supplements but are worth it.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
                        X