Gluten digestive enzymes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gluten digestive enzymes

I do not have celiac disease. However, I seem to have some gluten sensitivities (ie: bowel issues), so I have reduced the amount of gluten in my diet. Usually, I choose to have gluten only 3-5x per week. (Many people eat gluten 3-5x per day, probably.)

When I eat gluten, I always take an gluten digestive enzyme capsule. It truly does seem to help my body digest gluten. When I take an enzyme capsule, I do not tend to experience intestinal symptoms. When I don't take one and eat gluten, I usually do.

Although I know that most GF advocates are fairly die-hard about it needing to be an all-or-nothing diet, I suspect that guideline applies to those with celiac disease, but can be relaxed for those of us with more minimal gluten issues. Those with celiac disease can still use gluten digestive enzymes when they are eating somewhere other than home, and are worried about cross-contamination, etc.

Would like to hear some other opinions on the use of these enzymes, and choosing not to adhere to a 100% GF diet.

~ Faith
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Hi Mamabug,
    Thanks for doing your post to inform the uninformed. I am glad that your problems were not Celiac but a food sensitivity. I am willing to bet that most on this site are uninformed at the immense power diet has on their feelings of wellness.
    You did the smartest thing by not expecting to get a drug to treat this problem. It is similar to dairy sensitivities. One can get lactose free milk or go without dairy but one wouldn't know unless tested or trial and error methods. Your health depends on your vigilance, with help from a good team of health care professionals.
    I have had lab tests for food allergies and sensitivities. It was a very informative process. It showed that I had some sensitivity to gluten and legumes. And dairy. Surprise... my regular PCP didn't discover any of this but my 'integrative' doc did. My integrative doctor doesn't take insurance, my PCP does. I don't care. My health is worth $200.00 a visit. Take care, good luck

Comment

Jerry --

Thanks, also, for sharing your experience. I've never had any testing done. But, I've read enough concerns about gluten in our foods and the way wheat has been modified over the years, that it just seems to make sense to cut back on gluten.

And, there is a school of thought (held by Tara, for example) that everyone with MS should be on a GF diet.

I'm not willing to go that far, but a reduced gluten diet and enzymes get rid of unwanted symptoms, and that's a benefit. :-)

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Tara's position has been that testing for food allergies/sensitivities (as opposed to celiac disease, which has clear physical markers that can be seen on examination) is often inaccurate, and doing an elimination diet is the best way to determine allergy/sensitivity. Unfortunately, that means eliminating the suspect food entirely...at least for a substantial period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
          Tara's position has been that testing for food allergies/sensitivities (as opposed to celiac disease, which has clear physical markers that can be seen on examination) is often inaccurate, and doing an elimination diet is the best way to determine allergy/sensitivity. Unfortunately, that means eliminating the suspect food entirely...at least for a substantial period of time.
          Sequoia, About how long do you think once should give before introducing a suspected food (allergy source)? Thanks...as always...for your input and help.
          Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Originally posted by bammaw View Post
            Sequoia, About how long do you think once should give before introducing a suspected food (allergy source)? Thanks...as always...for your input and help.
            Here's what WebMD has to say on elimination diets:

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/aller...imination-diet

They indicate "a few weeks" with your doctor's supervision. I've heard or read as much as 3 months before re-introducing the questionable food, but I can't remember where...sorry!

When I eliminated gluten myself, it was gone for good...no plans to re-introduce it.

Comment

Just thought it was time to re-post this article on gluten sensitivity:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...522456636.html

Comment

Thanks Sequoia.
                ~ Faith
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I have some patients who use the DDP-IV enzyme supplements to counteract gluten exposure.

They think it helps. So I'm gonna go with that.....

Eventually I get they immune strength up and the enzymes become less necessary.
                  NutritionTara
                  Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

What negative symptoms...

... Do you experience when you eat gluten products?

I'm finding it very VERY hard to go completely gluten-free.

PEACE

Comment

Originally posted by Babs2 View Post
                      ... Do you experience when you eat gluten products?

I'm finding it very VERY hard to go completely gluten-free.

PEACE
                      Bloating, indigestion, sinus problems (chronic post-nasal drip).

Being gluten free doesn't seem so hard to me, but I'll admit I do miss wheat now and then.

Good luck, and peace to you too.

Comment

I find it hard to go GF too. Maybe, partly, because I am simply not convinced that it is necessary. I "choose" to limit my gluten consumption, usually, to about 3x per week.

When I take gluten (DTP-IV) enzyme supplements, I usually don't experience any symptoms.

When I do not, I have diarrhea symptoms. They are usually easily resolvable by taking 1 or 2 doses of Imodium AD. But, it's better to avoid having to take that.

~ Faith
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                        X