Kidney Stones and Vitamin D Supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kidney Stones and Vitamin D Supplements

Does anyone out there have any information on the correlation between Kidney Stone (recurrent) and Vitamin D supplements?

My Urologist said that Vitamin D and Calcium from natural sources are fine but that supplements need to be discontinued. He said that the there are more dangers related to recurrent kidney stones (right now I have a 5mm in my left kidney and a 7mm in my right kidney) than having a low Vitamin D level.
    M.
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

It's a good question, but as you have kidney stones, I can't say.

Have you had your vitaminD levels checked?
    How much VitaminD were/are you taking and were you supplementing Calcium?

Dr. Jelenik in the www.overcommingmultiplesclerosis.com diet advises against supplementing with Calcium, since with adequate VitaminD, it's not necessary.

It can get thorny, so you should discuss with your neuro.

Comment

My dad had reoccuring kidney stones.
      For the guys, its the closest we'll ever get to knowing how child birth feels.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
        My dad had reoccuring kidney stones.
        For the guys, its the closest we'll ever get to knowing how child birth feels.
        So true! My husband almost tore the bathroom sink off!

Comment

I know that kidney stones are a common ailment for some people and urologists are the experts there. But vitamin D and calcium are 2 different things. Calcium is somewhat problematic to properly absorb. So where does the urologist want you to get your calcium ?

Please don't answer dairy !! I'll just scream !! Look on the internet and you'll find the best foods for calcium. Vitamin D from foods is another problematic area. Yes, you can get your vitamin D from sunlight exposure. How much exposure do you need to correct a deficiency? And vitamin D comes from a layer of skin producing vitamin D from the UVB rays. This system has a chance to be a little fouled up being as your body ( I assume there is MS in the equation) isn't exactly working quite perfectly.

First things first. Are you deficient and better yet what are your ng/ml numbers? You don't just begin supplementing some things without testing, first. Remember medicine is a science. Treat your health situation like a science, because it is.

Comment

Yes my vitamin d level is low, 17 the last time it was checked. Even as a small child I had problems with vitamin d which I think has to with absorbtion.

Basically I think the Urologist was saying that calcium and vitamin from natural sources are not only okay but important. He said nothing about dairy products but I would have cried if he said I couldn't have dairy. What he said was that large doses of vitamin d supplements makes the body hold on to too much of the calcium that contributes to kidney stones in people with recurrent stones.
            M.
            A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
            Albert Einstein

Comment

I think not having an exacerbation is more important than Dairy. I gave up all dairy and have never looked back.

You must get your VitaminD levels up, but you need guidance from a doctor or nutritionist on how to avoid kidney stones - or otherwise how to deal with them.

17 is way too low. Speak with your Neurologist.

Comment

Thanks BigA. You said exactly the words I was thinking. I am not a doctor but even a novice like me can tell that vitamin D levels below 35 ng/mL are really problematic. What is going on that so many people in this country are so low in this vitamin? And why do PCP's ignore doing the tests? It scares me to think that the patient is telling the PCP what to test !

Comment

Here is where medical people do not remember their biochemistry class.

Kidney stones are from a Raging Calcium deficiency!

The 1% of calcium in the blood HAS the HIGHEST priority and the blood stream will pull it from the bones to maintain the calcium balance in the blood.
                  It does this by pulling calcium out of the bones.
                  Calcium from the bones will percipitate (become solid) in the soft tissues (kidneys, bone spurs, placque,..) and form these "mostly calcium" rocks.

Whats the connection with vit D?

vit D will help absorb calcium, but your first have to get enough, of the correct form, of calcium in the body.
                  (then it will stop coming out of the bones and getting stuck in the kidneys!)

BUT through, what has become our medical system of reductionism-- the doctors see calcium stones and say reduce your calcium.....EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE.

Needs more soluble forms of calcium; lactate, citrate, malate, folvate...
                  and of course vit D for absorption.
                  NutritionTara
                  Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Thank you, Tara. You really helped clear that one up for me. I stopped taking some of my calcium and tried to research, but couldn't find the information I needed. Got it now.

Really glad to to see you back. I have learned so much from you. Thank you again.

Peggy

Comment

Ouch

Kidney stones are the Devil! How can something so small hurt so bad?
                      RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

Your welcome Peggy,

You know its more rare for women to have kidney stones than men.

Keep in mind losing calcium from the bones is excellerating bone loss.

Its part of my Osteoporosis program to halt bone loss.

With kidney stones I always use a great deal more Magnesium; 600 to 800mg/day in divided doses.

Eat and juice plenty of dark greens: kale, parsley, beet greens, etc...provides a lot of magnesium and helps alkalize the system -- then calcium won't be pulled from the bones to alkalize (buffer)
                        NutritionTara
                        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
                        X