Dairy - Allergies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dairy - Allergies

Does dairy cause sinus/allergy problems? Is that why a lot of people choose to go dairy free?

Originally posted by bluemanda View Post
    Does dairy cause sinus/allergy problems? Is that why a lot of people choose to go dairy free?
    Dairy does cause sinus/allergy problems for some people, and an active allergy is inflammatory in nature, so some MSers avoid dairy for that reason. Some also choose to go dairy free because it's thought that the protein in milk is too similar to human proteins and may, through the process of "protein mimicry," encourage our own immune systems to attack us. And some people avoid dairy for ethical/spiritual reasons (vegans).

Comment

thank you

I haven't had a chance to google (or i forget to) it and I was going by things I had read on here. I have been having sinus issues a lot lately (a year or so) and realized that I have been eating a ton of dairy. I do have an allergy to anything in the nightshade family, especially tomatoes. (itching, hives sometimes, and the dreaded swelling, so far not serious enough for an ER visit, but close.)

I have been using almond milk lately but still eat cheese on practically everything. I guess I could an elimination and see if my sinus clears up any. Sigh, three months without cheese or ice cream. The ENT's can't figure it out so... I thought would try some different things.

Comment

Milk gives me both sinus problems and gastro problems. It doesn't exactly need to be an allergy. It can be considered just problematic. And what for? The calcium and vitamin D? What a crock !!
        The mature human being does not metabolize these things from milk as readily as it does from other foods. Dairy is fraught with problems!! The dairy industry has fooled everyone into this misconception !

Comment

I'm one of those whose chronic sinus problems cleared up right away when I stopped usung dairy products, and my husband, who stopped at the same time, quit snoring! This doesn't prove anything, but it's an interesting anecdote.

Unfortunately, although there are several good non-dairy milks, there really isn't a good substitute for cheese yet IMO.

Comment

Sequoia

Do you do cheese at all? You may have answered this on some other thread but since I'm doing some modified dairy am now consider stopping altogether just wondered if you indulge a bit or are you totally dairy free? I do have chronic post nasal drip and allergy related "stuff" but also gut issues so am giving gfcf a try. Just the thought of no cheese gives me hives (kidding). Just love cheese but if I'm gonna give it up completely I think I should skip goat cheese, yogurts, kefir etc too. What do you think?
            Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Originally posted by bammaw View Post
              Do you do cheese at all? You may have answered this on some other thread but since I'm doing some modified dairy am now consider stopping altogether just wondered if you indulge a bit or are you totally dairy free? I do have chronic post nasal drip and allergy related "stuff" but also gut issues so am giving gfcf a try. Just the thought of no cheese gives me hives (kidding). Just love cheese but if I'm gonna give it up completely I think I should skip goat cheese, yogurts, kefir etc too. What do you think?
              I don't do cheese at all, but I believe Tara allows cultured forms such as yogurt, kefir and cheese. For me, it's an ethical/spiritual issure.

Comment

Just my 2 cents worth, and I don't even know if its true, but I heard there was no MS before humans started eating cows.

Kind of a wild generalization, but i thought I would throw it out there.

Comment

I have true food allergies and they are all stomach related or cause anaphalisis (sp?) I have never had them cause sinus issues. I never heard of going dairy free for MS I would like some more information on that.

Comment

My doctor had my blood sent to a lab and it was tested for food allergies and sensitivities. The numbers on the report came back and showed that of all the types of that are in my normal diet, all dairy products were to be avoided. that includes cheese, milk and butter. I have been avoiding these for about a year and I do feel like I am feeling a little better. I do know that I have less abdominal bloating. And less gastro discomfort. It is definitely worth it

Comment

Originally posted by lisa1014 View Post
                      I have true food allergies and they are all stomach related or cause anaphalisis (sp?) I have never had them cause sinus issues. I never heard of going dairy free for MS I would like some more information on that.
                      It's spelled anaphylaxis, and it's also known as anaphylactic shock.

I'm afraid I, personally. don't know more about gluten sensitivity than I previously posted on this thread. You might try Googling it if you need to know right away, or perhaps other posters will know more.

Comment

allergies vs sensitivities/intolerances

there is a difference

allergies are an immune response to a protein in a substance

allergies can cause anaphylaxis and can kill you

sensitivities/intolerances can make you miserable
                        diarhea/stuffy nose/ crampy etc

but they won't kill you or cause anaphylaxis

IE
                        my son is allergic to dairy egg and all nuts

he can have NO dairy products what soever

I have lactose intolerance...

I can eat dairy I don't drink milk or eat ice cream I can handle a few pieces of cheese....

Comment

Regarding food allergies and sensitivities: all this stuff can be tested by a lab. Dr. Andrew Weil just wrote that cheese is ok in 2 ounce maximums. Probably weekly. And it is best to consume hard, dry cheeses rather than soft cheeses. Hard block cheeses rather than soft brie or mozzarella. That kind of cuts out pizza unless it is made with hard grated cheeses. Snacking on cheese is ok if it is accompanied by fruits and vegetables and limited to only a few ounces of cheese.

Comment

Working...
                          X