• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CALLING ALL GF-ER'S!!!

I've got a question regarding the lowly oat! I'm aware of
    all the controversy about just how GF they are, what with all
    the cross contamination and all....

So, I'd like to know: Where do you come down on it all?
    Upon which side of the whole kerfuffle do you sit?

Do you:

1) Insist on only pure, verifiable sources?

2) Are you blindly waiting for all the grain dust to settle?
    (ie: don't really care one way or another)

3) Waiting on some definitive answer to appear?

4)Have given up on oats all together..."a pox on all their seed coats!"

Here's your chance to chime in on the debate of the century!

What decision did you reach, and how/why did you reach it?

just a query....

me

p.s. if i posted this ? twice, it's cuz there was a wrinkle in
    the time/space continuum...cyber-wise....
    "I'm not limping!! I'm just favoring each leg differently!!"

I will eat certified GF oats, but every time I do my stomache is upset and I have loose stools (sorry to be gross).

So, I am really not sure about oats. I love the taste and that is the only thing that keeps them around, but I rarely eat oats because of the side effects.
    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

I eat Bob's Red Mill certified gluten free oats maybe 3 times a week for breakfast, with no observable side effects.

There's no national certifying body for gluten free oats, so you have to trust your supplier. The safest thing to do is avoid oats altogether, unless you grow and mill them yourself.

Comment

Even if a package says gluten-free, I still read the ingredients. I tend to avoid oats, though I'm not so sure oat has gluten. I feel gluten from oats is from cross-contamination. And I don't want to risk an upset stomach.

Since I already eat the ground flaxseed, I will look for Bob's Red Mill oats. A warm bowl of oats would be nice.

Comment

For me, I don't have to be on a GF diet (no celiac disease), but I feel better digestive-wise when I do. I buy my oats at a health food coop store in bulk. Only stipulation is that they have to be organic, like the majority of food I eat.
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Not all Bob's Red Mill oats are gluten free. It will say on the package. They come in rolled form and steel cut, and are more expensive.

Comment

I went GF with my teenage daughter when she was diagnosed with Celiac's last fall. I still eat oats but only the ones that are supposedly GF.

My daughter is a different story. Her team (Dr., Nutritionist, Nurse Coordinator etc. etc.) at the Children's Medical Ctr. Said absolutely NO oats. So I think it really matters why you are GF.
              M.
              A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Again, oats contain no gluten!

Any gluten is a byproduct of cross-contamination during storage or milling. Anyone with Celiac Disease is probably better off avoiding oats altogether IMO, but those who are goimg gluten free for other reasons may be able to tolerate oats fom certified gluten free producers.

Comment

Oats can also be crossed contaminated in growing fields by the wind which is why I stated above that it really does matter why you are GF whether or not you include even GF Oats in your diet.
                  M.
                  A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by maitrimama View Post
                    Oats can also be crossed contaminated in growing fields by the wind which is why I stated above that it really does matter why you are GF whether or not you include even GF Oats in your diet.
                    True about cross-contamination during growing; also possible if wheat was grown on the field in the past ("volunteer" plants).

But again, just to avoid confusion, the oats themselves contain no gluten; any trace of gluten comes from cross-contamination by other, gluten-containing, grains such as wheat.

For maximum safety, don't eat oats in any form, even if "certified" gluten free.

Comment

Celiacs here and I just don't eat them at all. Even Bobs Redmill GF oats seemed to bother me.

If you don't have Celiacs or an allergy or bad sensitivity then I would say go for the labeled GF ones and don't worry about the small cross contamination possibilities.

Comment

Working...
                      X