low vitamin d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low vitamin d

Does anyone know the effects of a low vitamin D level? I have been prescribed Vit D and wondered if the low level can cause dizziness and fatigue.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

While I suggest you google "vitamin d deficiency", as it relates to MS, vitamin D helps produce endorphins and endorphins are hormones that regulate the immune system by modulating T-cell proliferation. T-cells are the bad actors in MS.

Most likely, this is why people with MS who get plenty of vitamin D, direct sunshine on the skin between 11-2:00pm being the best source, often see a reduction in fatigue, pain and depression. Endorphins are doing their work.

Also, it is likely that the reason why MS is more prevalent in latitudes of the world where the sun does not shine as much, or it is colder (people wear more clothing) is these populations are low in vitamin D and consequently, endorphin deficient.

You'll also find many other autoimmune diseases at these latitudes, like Psoriasis, which direct sunshine/vitamin D helps. Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) also benefits Psoriasis and MS because LDN generates endorphins.

The new Biogen MS drug, "BG12" also known as Dimethyl Fumarate, produces endorphins and has been used with Psoriasis patients for years along with what Dimethyl Fumarate is derived from, Fumaric Acid.

Comment

My new Psychologist just suggested that I have my Vitamin D level checked because low D is one possible cause of depression.

[Edited to add: And my old psychopharmacologist (prescribing Psychiatrist) said that since the current crop of antidepressants fails to help so many people, a new avenue of research for ADs might well be endorphin-boosters.]

Comment

Physical exercise also increases endorphins. That's one suspected reason why exercise has been found in some studies to be as effective as antidepressants in relieving depression and fatigue.

Comment

I exercise as much as I can.

Even before diagnosis, I had figured out that if I didn't exercise, I would fall into depression.

It works. It's nature's antidepressant and has many health benefits. We should all do it to the extent we are able.

Comment

I used to have low Vit. D levels for several years. (I think it was 26 the first time it was checked.) I've been taking 10,000 IU every night on the advice of my physician for months now, and since that time, I've been able to get off of my antidepressant totally. I feel much better emotionally and physically too. I've had less flare ups, and when I do have one, they're not as severe. I think we're on to something here!
            Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Thank you, Shashi, for your post . I have had a similar experience. And, even though my daughter's doctor laughs when my mention vitamin D supplementation. She says that drinking milk and plenty of sunshine will do plenty to boost the levels.
              I haven't bought into that advice. I believe supplementation and testing is the way to correct levels. Isn't that the way science works ? Medicine is a science, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
                I used to have low Vit. D levels for several years. (I think it was 26 the first time it was checked.) I've been taking 10,000 IU every night on the advice of my physician for months now, and since that time, I've been able to get off of my antidepressant totally. I feel much better emotionally and physically too. I've had less flare ups, and when I do have one, they're not as severe. I think we're on to something here!
                That's great. I was at 13 when diagnosed. I've taken 10,000 per day for 2 years and my level is 86. VitaminD is the single most importan thing we can do for ourselves.

Comment

That is an important substance.

Comment

Pernicious Anemia

A few years ago, my primary physician discovered, by blood work, that I have Pernicious Anemia. I don't remember a time I wasn't tired. At that time, I was beyond tired.

A prescription for a 1cc injection of B-12 monthly followed. From experience, I learned I need 2 injections most months. Confirming with PCP, was told can't really over dose on Vitamin-B-12. Any excess is excreted in urine. Doc said, with a chuckle, "If you get too much, you just pee it away!"

A bottle of B-12 costs less than insurance co-pay. Rather affordable way to stay 'healthier'.

If you feel tired, more tired than normal....imho is worth requesting physician draw study for B-12 level specifically while doing other blood works at next visit.

Comment

Working...
                    X