Would like to know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would like to know

What is effect of tumeric? What does it do? What should one expect? What's the down side?
    [I]Tellnhelen
    Progressive Relapsing MS

natural anti-inflammatory!

i cook with it, fresh and ground

also take it in capsule form on days that i dont cook with it. havent noticed any negative side effects.
    Katie
    dx rrms: 2/12
    copaxone 3/12 - current
    dx pcos 6/13
    gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

I think that turmeric has, as one of its components, a substance called curcumin. I think I read that it is has anti-inflammatory benefits.
      If you are looking for negative side effects of any of the natural supplements mentioned on this site, I think you are in search of the 'fountain of youth' with a unicorn in it. These natural products have been used for thousands of years as medicine, in many different cultures. They are not like pharmaceutecals. I am not saying that they are completely harmless, but you need to abuse them terribly and stupidly to experience negative side effects. A little research with reputable sources goes a long way.

Comment

Curcumin is being researched as a potential MS treatment:

Curcumin and autoimmune disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17569223

Curcumin may block MS progression

http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuse...ow/pageid/1895

Buy Curcumin with 'Bioperene" which aids absorbtion.

Comment

Curcumin is the "active ingredient'' in turmeric (that's spelled turmeric, not tumeric). And yes, taking it with bioperine (the two are often sold together) does increase curcumin's effectiveness).

I haven't come across a downside to taking or cooking with turmeric.

Comment

Working...
          X