Galactosemia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galactosemia

Strange word. It was one of several on my DNA testing results that I had never heard of before. It has to do with the way my body digests or does not digest milk proteins. I have noticed all life long my stomach swells when I eat ice cream. Seems anything with milk in it is on my binge list. HUM?

I'm not having much luck finding adult info on diet needs. Plenty out there on infant formula's. So if anyone out there has any info on this please pass it on.

KK

Many of us here at Tara's forum are, in fact, dairy-free either because we feel it may help with our MS or for other reasons. Tara herself counsels consuming dairy in predigested forms such as yogurt, kefir and naturally-curded cottage cheese, or as sheep's milk.

There are plenty of non-dairy "Milks" on the market; I prefer almond milk or coconut milk for most purposes

Comment

Sorry to 'break up the party' but you don't need a DNA test to tell you that you probably have some allergy or sensitivity to milk products . Sequoia's advice is spot on .
      Do not believe the Calcium B.S. that the dairy industry pushes. Calcium from milk is hardly metabolized by adults. There are much better sources. Same thing with the other elements from milk.

Food sensitivity tests can be determined by labs. But your pcp probably doesn't do them. A doctor (MD) who practices 'integrative' medicine will know what to test. If the doctor doesn't have a 'real' medical degree, be skeptical !
      Good luck

Comment

I got my DNA results. Now I have to keep check on my levels & my iron. Don't remember ever having to add iron tho.

KK

Comment

galactosemia means your missing the enzyme to digest galactose. most adults have less after puberty; I always recommend adults get off 'liquid' milk.

Galactose makes up about half the sugar in dairy.

Eliminate dairy!

Coconut bliss ice cream, yummm
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Thank you Tara for verifying what I say every day in my exercise class. But the question that I hear is: "Well how do I get my calcium, iron and vitamin D if I don't drink milk or dairy ?".
            I know the answer, but I can't seem to convince the under educated folks.

Comment

Working...
            X