Thanks for all the diet tips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the diet tips!

I started the Swank diet three weeks ago this coming Sunday. This forum has been a very positive, informative resource for me. I was diagnosed on Feb 29, 2012, and am getting used to my new lifestyle. When I first read about the Swank diet, I thought it looked good but doubted my willpower. I am totally off beef and pork and everything else is low fat or non fat. I have even given up the cookies I am addicted to.

I just wanted to stick this here as a positive testimonial. I have been blogging about my MS journey and am going to try to get my blog url on my profile.

kesibrooke,
    I found Swank and MacDougall about 2 or 3 years ago. I still can't get with the program but with a little more willpower, i will. I applaud you as I know you probably hear everything negative about changing your diet . All of the 'negative nellies' out there just have nothing good to say, even if you can show something positive .
    Please give some details about yourself and your diet journey.
    Do you use a juicer ? Are you taking DMD's ? Are you RR, PP or what? Do you have these diet conversations with your medical team ?

Comment

would love more info

so happy to hear of someone doing the Swank diet. I have been researching it and can't help but be skeptical considering it is against all that we hear about "no carbs, high protien" Would love to know more about your journey with it as I can't seem to find a starting point

Thanks.
      Lisa

Comment

diet and my MS details

Since I am so recently diagnosed, my doctor said we will classify me as RR now and hope it stays there. I thought I had an inner ear infection and was beyond stressed out. I went to an after hours clinic on a Sunday and got meds for inner ear. Monday it was worse. Tuesday I sat up in bed with my head spinning and double vision. After 5 days of solumedrol my vision finally returned to normal. I have been on Betaseron for three weeks now and not having problems with it. I'm needle shy, but thankfully it's not too bad.

I don't juice yet. I am wanting to look into it. I discussed the diet with my Betaseron nurse when she came to teach me to self inject. She hadn't heard of it, which kinda surprised me. She was weary of what can be found on the internet, but she told me to do it in addition to medicine if I thought it would help. I get pins and needles in my feet, legs, and hands sometimes and fatigue. But it could be worse.

Right now I'm doing what seem to be the BIG parts of the Swank diet- what would be hardest for me. I am off beef and pork. I'm doing an organic egg every day. I'm doing a lot of salad and grilled chicken. I'm not really much of a fish person (just shrimp), but I'm trying to develop a taste for tilapia. I am doing a lot of veggies and I've done away with cookies and junk food. I do Weight Watchers chocolate ice cream desserts and Special K chocolate protein bars to get my chocolate fix. The next thing I wanna kick are the Cokes, but I'm afraid of caffeine withdrawal headaches right now.

I've lost 10 lbs since diagnosis Feb 28. I've read so much about the benefits of diet and exercise and I didn't think I could do the diet when I first found it. I decided to start small and go from there. I want to check out juicing, possibly get "stricter" on the diet, and start exercising. The fatigue gets bad, so I want to find an MS friendly exercise plan.

When my neuro admitted me after seeing the brain MRI, the only bed the hospital had for me was on the oncology floor. My grandmother was at the same hospital for radiation for bone cancer when I was 15. I am a high school teacher and last year an 18 year old senior was diagnosed with leukemia. My parents took turns staying with me and keeping my 22 month old daughter. The 18 year old boy didn't have parents, grandparents, no one but teen friends and teachers at his side to go through leukemia. My faith has become stronger as a result of this. I don't have PP, it might be coming down the road, but I don't have it yet. I don't have a brain tumor like I feared when doc looked at the brain MRI. I don't have cancer. My family is here for me. I am blessed even in this. I keep counting my blessings when the feet tingle or the fatigue is bad.

Comment

kesibrooke,
          thanks for the detailed post. I want to offer you the benefit of my interest in nutrition to treat this MonSter. There is a person on this site named 'knuckle'. She has a lot of information that seems to be well researched . I would study Tara's nutrition stuff also. By the way, did you have your vitamin D levels tested? That is important to know. The fact that the Betaseron nurse knows nothing isn't a surprise. Nutrition and diet get little mention in medical school.
          There is a doctor named Dr. Terry Wahls from Iowa. She has MS and her story is fantastic. Check her out on You Tube and Google her. She is also working on a clinical trial through the NIH. clinical trials.org.
          There is a lot of 'snake oil' out there. Be skeptical of what you hear and read. Good luck

Comment

Hi lisad40,

Where have you heard "no carbs, high protein"? That's far from universally recommended. In fact, Tara herself recommends high carbs in the form of plentiful fresh vegetables, and Andy Weil, M.D., often mentioned here, recommends low-average protein for MS.

Anyway, it's usually reduction in simple carbs, not complex carbs, that's recommended if anything in my experience as a MSer and a diabetic.

Hi kesibrooke,

I hate to tell you this, but tilapia is not a fish you should be eating on a regular basis. It's not high in Omega-3 fatty acids, plus it's factory-farmed instead of wild-caught. Salmon, sardines and herring are preferable. Tilapia is currently popular because it's so mild-flavored, but not all fish are created equal health-wise.

Comment

Congrats!

I'm going to spend more time in this forum for tips, too.

Thanks for the testimonial!
              Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Lisa,

I´ve gone gluten, soy and dairy free. Been since June.
                I do miss cheese and have just bought but not yet tried daiya "cheese" to make a corn tortilla "pizza." I´m almost dessert free as well as there isn´t too much you can make, though... I have discovered cashews as a substitute for creamcheese and avocado choc. mousse (add strong coffee if you make it). I only drink water, coffee and almond milk (no sodas). I eat sunflower seeds and black and pinto beans. I checked out the legumes with the highest lectin levels and avoid those- soy, kidney and lima. I do drink Redbridge beer and wine and limoncello- homemade.

I workout, play guitar, soduko, and am still working. Just celebrated a one year relapse free and am hoping for many more. I am on copaxone and hate the injections, but cross my fingers for BG12.

Keep reading. Really, the one thing I miss is cheese, the rest is not bad. I do avoid commercial gluten-free junk food for the most part. Junk is junk whether or not it has gluten.

Take care.

Comment

Good for you, Temagami!

I almost hate to tell you, though...there are lots of yummy desserts you can make that are gluten, dairy and soy free.

You might like to try this site for "inspiration":

http://www.gfreefoodie.com/

Comment

i started the swank diet 1 month ago. in general i have always (pre-diagnosis) ate very healthy but it is so hard for me to give up beef and 2% milk. your story gives me willpower. thanks!
                    Katie
                    dx rrms: 2/12
                    copaxone 3/12 - current
                    dx pcos 6/13
                    gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

Working...
                    X