Is Stevia safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Stevia safe?

I've totally gotten off of aspartame after over 20 years of use. I haven't had a diet coke in almost 6 weeks.

But I have been using Truvia, a derivitive of Stevia, for that length of time. I don't eat it every day, just maybe two or three packs a week.

I'm wondering how safe this sweetner really is. Is it going to rot my brains? I know that it says it's a natural sweetner, but have there been any studies on it to prove that it's safe?

Also, for the past few weeks, I've had the oddest thing happening, and I'm not sure if it's related to the Stevia or what, but I seem to be getting a very sweet taste in my mouth when I haven't eaten anything sweet. Even my skin will taste sweet. I'm not diabetic or anything (that I'm aware of), and I know this isn't a symptom of diabetes (though it's the first thing I thought of.) What could be causing that?
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Hi Shashi,

You might want to take a look at the following link:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fe...gar-substitute

I only use it as the pure powder, not Truvia, FWIW.

As for the sweet taste in your mouth, it could be a sign of diabetes; better have it checked out.

Comment

FWIW, one of the first things my neuro told me was to give up hight fructose corn syrup and all artificial sweeteners- even agave. I think her concern is that they're all processed in one way or another which changes them and the way your body recognizes them. While I haven't been able to give up sugar altogether I use coconut sugar in all my baking and haven't noticed a difference. When I crave carbonation, I either mix 100% juice with club soda or splurge on calories and have a soda made with sugar rather than corn syrup. If anything, my weight is actually going down a bit
      Diagnosed June 2011, Avonex 7/11-12/11

"We don't describe the world we see, we see the world we describe"

Comment

I use it in it's pure form from a health food suppler. I was watched a program on artificial sweaters all they said about steva is it has additives. Well sure when the american food industry get a hold of anything they put additives in it. I don't think most Drs know much about it. Work great in my coffee, that is all I care about.

Comment

FYI:

Lisa,

I visited a friend of mine recently, who moved a few hours away. She's type 1 diabetic, so has to be VERY careful. Has a pump b/c she had so much difficulty keeping her glucose level stable.

She brought out a plant and gave us each a leaf to chew on. It was an actual Stevia plant! Can't remember where she found it; some vegetable/plant market she visited, I think. Anyway, she says she just plucks off a leaf to put in her coffee or whatever she wants sweetened.

Cool, huh?? I don't know if she can keep the plant alive year round, but I just wanted to tell you about it.

Sherry

Comment

Have you heard of coconut palm sugar? it's low glycemic... Isn't that important if you're diabetic? google it
            [I]Tellnhelen
            Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Have one

Home depot had the stevia plant among the vegetables this spring.
              I have one in my garden.

Comment

congrats!

I think gettig off the aspertame
                I need to do the same.
                Enjoying the conversation too, learning. Thanks

Comment

I have never heard about stevia. My friends told me it is really worth it to try it out.
                  Nica thread guys. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X