testosterone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

testosterone

Is there any evidence that your testosterone does down when you have MS or if boosting it would help?

I was reading something about drs (not sure how old) where using testosterone to help try to cure MS or help it.

I'd be careful about boosting testosterone.

If you are a young male and get MS, when testosterone levels are high, MS tends to progress rapidly. When men get MS in their later years, when testosterone is decreasing, MS tends to be less aggressive.

On the other hand, in women, estrogen seems to work in an opposite fashion. Younger women, and when pregnant, often experience remission. Post-menapause MS can hit harder.

Testosterone may exacerbate while estrogen protects. Either way, hormones play a big role.

Comment

I don't want to boost it, but it seemed weird when I ran across the article.

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthd...4507109&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by ffjosh View Post
          Is there any evidence that your testosterone does down when you have MS or if boosting it would help?

I was reading something about drs (not sure how old) where using testosterone to help try to cure MS or help it.
          I have little experience regarding the connection between MS and T. see below** Testosterone can be wonderful if administered and monitored correctly.

There are clinical protocols using Estriol for MS with pretty good results.
          The dose used is around 8mg/day orally. (this is one of many protocols I am involved with and seeing results).

The fact is estriol is the weaker of the estrogens and cannot be converted to estrone or estradial (more active, proliferative estrogens).

The idea came from the (MS) remission a women may experience in her third trimester when estriol levels are very high.

**testosterone dosing: Its many practitioners little gem to throw testosterone at everyone over 50 that walks in their clinic with fatique, low libido, weight gain, etc...

Caution: you'll feel better for a little while but setting yourself up for estrogen cancers, which includes prostate cancer.

Answer: these gels must contain an aromatase inhibitor in them....or the testosterone will be converted to estrogens.

to be continued.....if anyone is interested in learning more.
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

im interested. I have been soaking up everything I can

Comment

In the sex hormone pathway Testosterone can be converted to the Estrogens. If you are taking an Androgen gel, it has to contain an "inhibitor" so it will not be converted (less will be converted) into the Estrogens.

Prostate cancer is very low in young men with high levels of T- it occurs as they get older when T is converted to Estrogens.

The breast cancer drug Arimidex is an example of an aromatase inhibitor. It blocks the body from converting sex and adrenal hormones into estrogen.
              However it has some serious long term side effects.

There is an effective herbal aromatase inhibitor that I use in my 'male' hormone preperations; I even started using it for some breast cancer women patients.
              The herb is called chrysin. It is more effective administered topically than orally.

DHEA can also be converted to Estrogens. Many people come to me and want to supplement with DHEA but I usually will run a saliva hormone panel and determine #1 if they need it and also if it could become a problem for them; before starting a regimen.
              NutritionTara
              Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
              X