Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Brains “Brain Food”?

I came across so Food for Thought.

Last night I was watching some travel TV show, and the travel guide was eating some local food, including a brain sandwich.

I had never ever thought of it before, but really she was mainly eating myelin.

Hmm?

I’m now wondering if the nutrients in that sandwich would be the same nutrients are body needs to make myelin?

OK before posting/starting this thread I paused, thought to look brains up at NutritionData.com.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-...30,40,53,43,22

Nutritionally speaking beef and lamb brains look good, but pork brains don’t.
    Plus who wants to risk being called a Pork Brain?

In general it says it is a good source of Protein, Phosphorus and Selenium, and a very good source of Vitamin B12.

So anyone else going to ask their butcher if they have any brains?

To think of it you better make that “do you have any beef or lamb brains?”
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Ick!! Not me!
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Double yuck!! My grandparents were from the old country (Germany) and they loved them some pig brains. They were so happy to introduce me and sister to them. We hated it, even the dog wouldnt eat them Thats when you know its bad... lol

Comment

I don't believe people eat brains because they're brain food. They eat them because they come from ancient cultures that used every part of an animal, right down to tripe, tongues, tails and feet.

Comment

I ate brains regularly, as a child, mashed on toast. Loved 'em!

Not because they were "brain food" but because they tasted good!

Now I don't eat anything that comes from a cow (or any other animal).

I'm stupider, but that's not because I don't eat brains.

Comment

Seem like a really bad idea!!!!

Remember the Mad Cow Disease scare a few years back?

A quick google of "Mad Cow Disease in humans" just
            might change your mind on the "good eats" notion.

A gander at the symptom list ought to put you
            off the whole idea entirely.

No lecture....just saying....

They don't call it offal for nothing!

Me
            "I'm not limping!! I'm just favoring each leg differently!!"

Comment

Being a Arkansas Hog Fan , I quess you can call me pork brain. Sounds better than pig-headed or You Swine. My mom used to put a jar of brains in the fridge to eat with her eggs. Scared me more than any horror movie I seen as a kid.

Comment

Call me a zombie, but I like brains (and agree that they are good nutrition)--I think that it's true that traditional cultures ate them because of nose to tail eating, but also because they are good nutrition. When hunter-gatherers kill wild animals (or when non-human animals do), they go for the offal first, it is prized. I think there's something to that--we weren't meant to eat exclusively muscle meat from grocery stores.

I don't eat them that often, and I think the risk of BSE is nil if you exclusively consume brains that are from animals that have not consumed the nervous tissue of other animals (which is how the whole problem started--factory farms), which is to say, ruminants that have eaten their traditional diet of grass (I won't do the pork brains, I stick to lamb and beef, and I know the farmer that pastures them).

To each their own.

Comment

well here's another thought; if you're worried about BSE from eating brains - what about gelatin supplement capsules.

This junk throw-away gelatin is sold to producers to make vitamin gelatin caps. I doubt they test this protein material for prions.

One more thing to scrutinize in your vitamin capsules.
                  NutritionTara
                  Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Good point, Tara. A lot of my vitamin therapy is vegetarian based, thank goodness.
                    Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Working...
                    X