Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gluten and Dairy free - Necessity

Hi All,

My DH has a MS diagnosis and we went dairy and gluten free since Nov after hearing the diagnosis and after reading that various diet regimens. We recently did an ELISA test for food allergies and he is neither allergic to Dairy nor to Gluten.

Is the Dairy free/gluten free still recommended ? Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks !

The problem with gluten and MS is not just inflammation (allergy/sensitivity); it's also protein mimicry. You can get more information on the latter at

http://www.direct-ms.org/recommendations.html

by clicking on the scientific data and nutritional factors links.

Tara recommends that everyone who has MS eliminate gluten from their diets.

The protein mimicry issue applies to dairy as well, but it may be less crucial. Tara allows dairy in "cultured" forms such as yogurt, kefir, cottage cheese and cheese. The Best Bet Diet (Direct-MS) and some other MS diets do not.

Tara posts every few days, and I'm sure she'll be able to clarify things for you.

Comment

also, if he did the ELISA testing without going back on a gluten and dairy-filled diet beforehand, the results are not conclusive since he was not eating the foods that would cause the antibodies in his blood.
      dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Comment

GFCF

I strongly personally recommend this for everyone. Its amazing how great you feel once you "detox" from all the glue.

I get sick and have reaccuring type UTI's when I have ingest gluten. It happens 24-48 hours after the fact. Dairy doesnt seem to bother me so much, but as a rule, I said goodbye to these things last July. Best decsion I ever made. Not only am I losing weight in areas previously though impossible, my energy has shot up, the plantars warts on my hand disappeared and my mental and emotional state is improving everyday.

I heard from an internist who claims that the body will continue to heal after going GF for upwards of 6 years! SIX YEARS of feeling better everyday is already showing itself invaluable!

Comment

Originally posted by ApVish View Post
          Hi All,

My DH has a MS diagnosis and we went dairy and gluten free since Nov after hearing the diagnosis and after reading that various diet regimens. We recently did an ELISA test for food allergies and he is neither allergic to Dairy nor to Gluten.

Is the Dairy free/gluten free still recommended ? Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks !
          Problem: How soon after eliminating gluten did you do the ELISA test?

Ive seen this many times and there has to be a certain amount of the antibody in the blood being tested to have a reaction with the antigen in the test kit.

If you eliminated it for awhile perhaps there wasnt enough of a load to be positive.

Nonetheless....
          If you can manage, I highly recommend you strictly follow a gluten free diet for a minimum of 60 days.

Dairy? I think most people benefit from a lower dairy diet. I usually eat and recommend goat products only.
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
          X