What supplements do you recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What supplements do you recommend?

What supplements do you take? I've been trying to do research on this, and it can be overwhelming. I found a list of recommended supplements for MS and here is one I have found:

** Cut-and-pasted material removed per MSWorld Guidelines. **

The article containing this list said to "take as many as possible" given financial constraints, but failed to say which were the most important. I'm already taking a mvi, fish oil, D3 and B12 supplements. Any thoughts/suggestions as to what else might be optimal?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
    Diagnosed June 2011, Avonex 7/11-12/11

"We don't describe the world we see, we see the world we describe"

Hi Tinkerbell65,

I'm sorry, but you can't copy a lengthy list from an article and paste it here, especially without attribution.

In a way, though, it doesn't really matter what was on the list. There are so many different "must-take" recommendations out there, from so many different sources. There is little consensus in the medical community about supplements and MS. For that matter, there's not a lot of consensus in the alternative/complementary community either.

In addition to what you're already taking, I would suggest turmeric. There's solid research to support turmeric's anti-inflammatory effect, and MS is an inflammatory process. I also take Coenzyme Q10, which is a potent anti-oxidant, based on my own research and Dr. Andrew Weil's recommendation. I'm not a medical/nutritional professional myself, though.

I believe Tara has recommended a whole-foods (not synthetic) B complex.

I'm sure you'll get input from other members as well.

Comment

Sequoia-

I apologize for my bad- won't happen again.

And thanks for your suggestions!

Theresa
      Diagnosed June 2011, Avonex 7/11-12/11

"We don't describe the world we see, we see the world we describe"

Comment

No problem, dear!

Comment

I take the following:
          · Calcium and Magnesium -- Helps to decrease urinary frequency
          · Vitamins C, E, D3, B6, B12, K -- Various reasons
          · Tumeric, Evening primrose oil, Systemic enzymes – Anti-inflammatory
          · Cinnamon – For weight loss
          · Fish oil – For heart health/lower cholesterol; Anti-inflammatory
          · Cranberry, D-Mannose – For UTI prevention
          · Digestive enzymes – Digestive health; to allow for more flexibility in a less than 100% gluten-free diet
          ~ Faith
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Curcumin
            Cinnamon
            Cayenne
            Saffron
            Alpha Lipoic Acid
            N-acetyl Glucosamine
            Acetyl L Carnitine
            Magnesium/Calcium
            Vitamin D
            B-complex
            Fish Oil / Flax Oil / Avacado Oil
            Malic Acid

Curcumin, Cinnamon and Saffron are all being studied as MS treatments (google each with 'multiple sclerosis")

Alpha Lipoic Acid prevents harmful T-cell migration across the blood brain barrier and seems to help with many autoimmune diseases.

N-acetyl glucosamine is also being researched as an MS treatment.

Malic Acid, along with Magnesium, has been shown to be helpful at reducing pain and fatigue in Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients. Like Fumaric Acid, Malic Acid helps with the symptoms of Psoriasis, which has many similarities to MS.

Based on the impressive clinical trials of the new Biogen drug, BG-12, which is Fumaric Acid Esters, or Dimethyl Fumarate, Malic Acid when combined with vitamin D may slow MS progression as well.

Comment

Working...
            X