Coconut oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coconut oil

DH is convinced this help with my cog fog (he learned about it from someone I consider an unreliable source).

I don't know much about it though - good points/bad points of taking it daily? Occasionally?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge & experience!
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Here's an older thread on coconut oil that has some good information:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113191

I use it in cooking several days a week myself.

Comment

Thank you Sequoia! I tried searching Tara's thread, but I'm not doing something correctly b/c I came up with zilch.

BTW, there is an interview on youtube with the doctor that uses coconut oil for her dh's Alzheimer's. That was the "proof" dh used to try to talk me into adding this oil to my daily supplements.
      DX 10/2008
      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

The theory behind coconut oil in alzheimers is that it is similiar to diabetes in that the brain cells become resistant to glucose (sugar) for energy. Without this energy brain cells die. Coconut oil produces another form of brain energy called ketones which are easily absorbable.

All of this is off the top of my cognitively impaired head by the way. I do take coconut oil daily dissolved in a glass of warm water and cook with it. I can't really say if it is reversing my cognitive impairment, but that seems to be stabilized so I keep taking it.

One curious thing I have found is that I seem to be losing body fat by taking the coconut oil. There is some anectodal evidence to this too. Supposedly when you teach your body to burn ketones, it burns body fat to continue producing them. All I know is that I am eating 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (pure fat) a day and am getting smaller. I am a vegetarian and don't have an appetite so had lost a lot of weight anyway with the MS but it was mostly muscle. The coconut oil seems to be reducing the fat pad on my stomach.

Hope this helps!
        I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your experience Muse!

I added coconut oil last week. Can't tell yet if it is making a difference or not with my cognition, but my appetite may be decreasing ... I can only hope!
          DX 10/2008
          Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Coconut oil

I have 3 patients w varying levels of dementia. I have them taking ~6 Tablespoons of coconut oil per day ( in divided doses).
            and we will continue to increase the amounts....10-12 T/day?

I am looking and hoping to see if there is any improvement.

I am currently up to 4 Tablespoons/day myself; and will go to 12 T/day. Trying to see if I notice anything. And see if there are any intestinal problems w that amount.

I have been recommending to all my patients to up their amounts of CC oil. at least 2T/day.
            I haven't had any reports of adverse side effects.
            NutritionTara
            Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
            X