AHCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AHCC

I recently went off of my interferon due to the intolerable side effects, which showed no sign of improvement after two years, so have been researching more natural alternatives. I already take some supplements and am on a strict diet. I came across a supplement called AHCC (a potent blend of mushrooms) and the research I found stated it, among other healthy immune system actions, increases interferon levels. Would it be a good natural substitute to take in place of the interferon shots? Thanks!

Originally posted by storyteller58 View Post
    I recently went off of my interferon due to the intolerable side effects, which showed no sign of improvement after two years, so have been researching more natural alternatives. I already take some supplements and am on a strict diet. I came across a supplement called AHCC (a potent blend of mushrooms) and the research I found stated it, among other healthy immune system actions, increases interferon levels. Would it be a good natural substitute to take in place of the interferon shots? Thanks!
    Honestly, I don't think anyone here is qualified to tell you if AHCC would be good to take in place of interferon shots. We're not medical professionals. A frank discussion with your own doctor might be a better idea.

Have you considered Copaxone, Gilenya or Tysabri?

I found a number of articles tied to the company that sells AHCC...always a suspect source of information. I did also find an article from Sloan-Kettering about AHCC and cancer, and it does explain how AHCC works as well as indicating that research at this point is preliminary and inconclusive.

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/ahcc

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
      Honestly, I don't think anyone here is qualified to tell you if AHCC would be good to take in place of interferon shots. We're not medical professionals. A frank discussion with your own doctor might be a better idea.

Have you considered Copaxone, Gilenya or Tysabri?

I found a number of articles tied to the company that sells AHCC...always a suspect source of information. I did also find an article from Sloan-Kettering about AHCC and cancer, and it does explain how AHCC works as well as indicating that research at this point is preliminary and inconclusive.

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/ahcc
      Sorry Sequoia, poor choice of words, I know no one here can tell me what I should take in place of interferons, just wondering if anyone knows anything about AHCC or has had any experience with it. Thanks!

Comment

I haven't tried AHCC myself, but I do take Cordyceps. We have a couple of members who've tried Lion's Mane.

On a related note, I cook with Shiitake regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
          I haven't tried AHCC myself, but I do take Cordyceps. We have a couple of members who've tried Lion's Mane.

On a related note, I cook with Shiitake regularly.
          Thanks Sequoia, it's difficult to sort all of this stuff out. Early on in my MS diagnosis a veteran MSer told me that I should avoid mushrooms because they are immune boosters and could cause a relapse. But I see Dr. Wahls and others recommend them.

I am currently seeing an Oriental/Nutritional medicine doctor who recommend I take the AHCC (along with other things) and even though he has enough credentials and recommendations from other patients that I trust his judgment, it's hard to dive in to his treatment plan without doing some research, especially when he tells me something contrary to what I have heard in the past.

I also see a neurologist, but he has no interest in discussing anything with me that doesn't require an expensive drug and tells me to follow the government food pyramid. I have thought about the other drugs you have mentioned, but don't want to go that route unless I absolutely have to as my experiences with the drugs up to this point have not been good.

I appreciate you, Tara, and all of the MSWorld members who share their experiences and opinions- it really helps to have others to bounce around ideas and experiences with!

Comment

Originally posted by storyteller58 View Post
            Thanks Sequoia, it's difficult to sort all of this stuff out. Early on in my MS diagnosis a veteran MSer told me that I should avoid mushrooms because they are immune boosters and could cause a relapse. But I see Dr. Wahls and others recommend them.
            The prevailing medical opinion on this subject has always been that supplements that boost the immune system should be avoided by MSers. It's just that, however...an opinion not based on actual research.

Other practitioners, including our own Tara, consider the immune systems of MSers to be confused (malfunctioning) rather than generally overactive, and therefore immune boosting supplements are not necessarily contraindicated.

Further, some herbal/fungal supplements are adaptogens rather than immune boosters. They function to normalize the immune sytem, returning it to balance whether it's overactive or underactive.

Comment

Mushrooms are fantastic for the immune system and to support healthy liver function.

I see no problem in taking a quality sourced AHCC supplement.

But "not as a substitute for interferone" despite what my opinion is about these drugs.............
              NutritionTara
              Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
              X