Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenges of nutrition with MS/Diabetes/Cancer

Hi Tara,

I have had MS 23 years am obese and have just been dxed with breast cancer. I am also a type 2 diabetic.

I am 52 and want to change my diet.
    For several reasons, to better manage the diabetes, to lose some wriight and even though i havent started treatment yet for the cancer, for the past few months my stomach is easily upset and somedays I just don't et at all, either I don't ever get hungry or I'm too tired or the food just doesn't sit well.

Any ideas?

I'm realy interested in juicing/smoothies on the days I'm weak or sick to my stomach but unsure how to do that with the diabetes.

Thanks,
    Gina
    Faith, Hope & Love
    Gina
    MS 1988 SPMS 2005

gina, i`m not a "pro" at this, but i`ve been diabetic for 40 years last april. are you on medication for the diabetes? if so, can you make adjustments for increases in blood sugar levels? i am on an insulin pump, so it`s easy for me to "roll with the punches". let me know the details, i`m not tara or even a diatition, but i di have a good knowledge of these issues. my e mail address is in my profile if you wish to e mail me. good luck.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Gina, I'm so sorry you're facing breast cancer now in addition to MS and diabetes. It's good that you're being proactive about adjusting your diet to support your current status.

I'm diabetic too, and I have a couple of suggestions for you:

Juicing: be careful about carrots...they have a very high glycemic index.

Smoothies: be careful about bananas...same reason.

I'm sure Tara will have some good recommendations for managing your complex nutritional needs.

Comment

Gina,
        If you convince yourself to go gluten and dairy free (basically eliminates dessert), you will knock out a lot of calories that are not nutrition dense and thus, you will end up eating the foods that are good for you. Maybe start with a pantry clean out- if itīs not in the house, you wonīt eat it. Maybe this is your watershed moment in that you are ready to make a major change in your life. From what Iīve read, portion size matters more than exercise in losing weight. So, until youīve lost enough to exercise, you could focus on portion size. Make walnuts your friend. Fish oil capsules, vit. D. Thatīs a good start. Take it in small steps as you canīt change a lifetime of habits overnite, but you will be able to stick with it if you make small progressive changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
          Gina,
          If you convince yourself to go gluten and dairy free (basically eliminates dessert), you will knock out a lot of calories that are not nutrition dense and thus, you will end up eating the foods that are good for you. Maybe start with a pantry clean out- if itīs not in the house, you wonīt eat it. Maybe this is your watershed moment in that you are ready to make a major change in your life. From what Iīve read, portion size matters more than exercise in losing weight. So, until youīve lost enough to exercise, you could focus on portion size. Make walnuts your friend. Fish oil capsules, vit. D. Thatīs a good start. Take it in small steps as you canīt change a lifetime of habits overnite, but you will be able to stick with it if you make small progressive changes.
          Good advice! Well, maybe except for the bit about going gluten and dairy free basically eliminating dessert.

There are many, many good recipes for gluten and dairy free desserts, as well as prepared versions available in supermarkets and whole food stores. I don't know whether that's good news or bad news.

Comment

try also to eliminate any unwanted snack item calories. if you need a boost, try a small handful of almonds.
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by MSGina View Post
              Hi Tara,

I have had MS 23 years am obese and have just been dxed with breast cancer. I am also a type 2 diabetic.

I am 52 and want to change my diet.
              For several reasons, to better manage the diabetes, to lose some wriight and even though i havent started treatment yet for the cancer, for the past few months my stomach is easily upset and somedays I just don't et at all, either I don't ever get hungry or I'm too tired or the food just doesn't sit well.

Any ideas?

I'm realy interested in juicing/smoothies on the days I'm weak or sick to my stomach but unsure how to do that with the diabetes.

Thanks,
              Gina
              Hi Gina, you have some complex issues and cancer treatment is going to make your stomach feel even worse.

Reducing the amount of sugars in your diet is obvious. This will also benefit the cancer situation.
              "Anyone diagnosed with cancer has a sugar problem" (not my line). We know that cancer feeds on sugar and an acidic environment.

Being a diabetic for 23 years you must have some idea of what you need to do.

You have been given some good recommendations by other members. If you want to do smoothies, you could use vegetable juice; more greens, not so much the sugary vegetables and then add some protein powder. Either whey or hemp based.

You could then fill in between with some vegetables and cheese, or eggs, or tree nuts for snacks.....?

When someone has issues with their stomach as you are describing....keeping it simple is better (at least it will help you evaluate foods and your reaction to them better).
              This means eating a single food at a meal with vegetables (steam your vegetables for now, that will be more comfortable for you)

i.e, egg or cheese with some steamed vegetables.
              piece of fish w veggies
              Nuts might be hard to digest.....

You may also benefit from a digestive enzyme (probably for sure). and/or probiotic

Good luck to you....you have many people here that are sending you well wishes. Tara
              NutritionTara
              Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
              X