books about MS for my family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

books about MS for my family?

my family is very supportive and as medical professionals pretty knowledgable about MS but not necessarily about what a gluten free diet is or why i am choosing to try it. there are many books out there about gluten-free diets and MS, but i don't know which one to choose. if anyone can make a personal recommendation for a book that explains the connections between diet and MS well i would be grateful.

i found a page that has many books on the subject listed: http://paleodiet.com/ms/#books

please let me know if there is one you personally really like.

thanks
    dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Hi meegun,

I've moved your thread to the "Tara's Nutrition & Supplement Forum" because that's where all the discussion of gluten-free diets is, including recommendations for books and websites.

My personal favorite is The MS Recovery Diet by Ann D. Sawyer and Judith E. Bachrach. I'm sure other people will be chiming in with their own recommendations.

Comment

all about control for me

I do not have a gf book recommendation, just a comment I use with people who continue to question why I would go gluten free, when it is not a proven treatment.

I tell them it is the one thing I feel I can control in the face of this (stupid) disease. Even when my neuro was pooh poohing it, he sat back for a minute without continuing his talk of unproven treatments after I told him that.

good luck. I am looking forward to seeing what books others are going to recommend.

karen
      You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

thanks karen,

in general my family has been very supportive of my dietary changes. the way i have explained it to them is that the meds only give me 30% off. if all i do is the meds, i will still experience 70% of my allotted (assuming that i have a predestined number of relapses) flares. changing my diet is one way that i can bring that number down even lower and if its healthy, has no side effects, and won't hurt me why wouldn't i try it? my mom even offered to go gluten free with me the thing is that she doesn't really have a good understanding of what gluten free means or how to achieve it. and since they are medical folk, i'm sure they would appreciate learning about the science behind it.
        dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Comment

Working...
        X