Did they work for you? Acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amanda8 View Post
    I have been on ALC and ALA for a few days now and I cannot believe the difference, it is a miracle. Thank you everyone for your suggestions it was a life saver.
    I'm so glad it worked for you, Amanda. When they do work, they're amazing! I've been taking them since September 2009, and they've been a life saver!

I'm still not sure why some people don't benefit from them. Different body chemistry, I guess. Or maybe they need the higher dose of ALC (2,000 mg. was used in the university study trials.)
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorimo1 View Post
      After reading this chain I ran straight to the Vit store and bought them. I checked with my pharmacist and she said it should not have any interaction with my current drugs. I would be so thankful to get even an ounce if energy back!
      I really hope this has helped you, it is a life saver. Keep us updated I want to know if it helped. I started with just one dose to see how my body would react and that seems to be all I need. I think the key is finding the right dose for your body. Good luck!!!

Comment

Higher Dose

I reviewed these two supplements with my nutritionist (DC) who I have been consulting with for over a year. She said these are very good for me but said I needed to up my dose to 1000mg ALA and 1500mg ALC. She also suggested that I add B12. I just started these this week and will let you know how they work for me. With the heat here in Texas, I am so so tired.
        My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Comment

Price?

How much do they cost?

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT5761 View Post
            How much do they cost?
            Linda, Walmart has the 400 mg acetyl L-carnitine/200 mg alpha lipoic acid combination for $8 a bottle for 50. You'd need to take 2 a day, which still isn't the dosage I take, but it's a start.

I get mine from Puritan's Pride. They often have buy one, get one (sometimes two) free sale. Right now, they have where you can buy 2 bottles of 200 mg. alpha lipoic acid for $9.89 (100 capsules per bottle) and the 1,000 mg of acetyl L-carnitine you can get two bottles for $21.99 (60 capsules per bottle.) If they work for you, they are well worth the money.
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I've been taking these for over a year and I conclude that they are doing nothing for me. I stopped part of them over a month ago with no change. They are expensive supplements. I have a healthy diet and I take Nuvigil for fatigue. I'm thinking that these are not working for me.
              Take care, Wiz
              RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by ewizabeth View Post
                I've been taking these for over a year and I conclude that they are doing nothing for me. I stopped part of them over a month ago with no change. They are expensive supplements. I have a healthy diet and I take Nuvigil for fatigue. I'm thinking that these are not working for me.
                ewizabeth, sorry they didn't work for you. Seems like when they work, they work great; and when they don't, they just don't at all.

There are studies that show that besides helping with fatigue, they also help in treating MS. I don't know if that's true or not (I haven't checked out that aspect of them.) But maybe taking them for a year wasn't a total waste.

Hugs,

Lisa

Comment

Acetyl L Carnitine 1000 & Alpha Lipoic Acid 200mg w/food or empty stomach

I started taking them this week. Should I be taking them with food or on an empty stomach. I also started B complex. Should this be taking separately or at the same time as the above two mentioned items?

Comment

Originally posted by Marie12 View Post

I started taking them this week. Should I be taking them with food or on an empty stomach. I also started B complex. Should this be taking separately or at the same time as the above two mentioned items?
                    Hi Marie,

They need to be taken on an empty stomach. You can also take the B complex at the same time.

Good luck! I hope they work for you.

Hugs,

Lisa

Comment

Hi Shashi,

I'm giving this a second shot. It's been two days and so far, so good. I've also added in CoQ10. There has been less fatigue and brain fog these last couple of days. I'm hoping to see even more improvement. I'll give it a week and up the dose if needed.

Thanks for sharing.
                      I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

I had read this thread before about the benefits of Acetyl L-Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid but just never got around to trying them.

Finally, in May I ordered some and have been taking them ever since. I have to agree with the other posts that this is the best I have felt in a long, long time! I had been so tired for the past few years. But now my energy level is almost back to normal and my brain doesn't feel like it is in such a fog.

June ended up being a very stressful month and of course the heat in Texas is always draining but I have been able to keep going. I plan on taking these two supplements forever!

Thank you so much for the information!

Lynn

Comment

I take only 50mg ALA.. I may try the 200/400 like the other lady.

I am not fatigued but I have a LOT of muscle tension/tightness - especially neck/shoulders and head - also have tension knots will it help with that.

I stay tensed 24/7 - will it help keep me calm? I don't need it for the energy if it will not help keep me calm.. more energy may make me more tensed because I can't relax per say.

When I TRY to full relax, I feel soo much tension in my neck/shoulders/head.. RIDICULOUS. I can't blame it all on ms either.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by futurmil2b View Post
                            I take only 50mg ALA.. I may try the 200/400 like the other lady.

I am not fatigued but I have a LOT of muscle tension/tightness - especially neck/shoulders and head - also have tension knots will it help with that.

I stay tensed 24/7 - will it help keep me calm? I don't need it for the energy if it will not help keep me calm.. more energy may make me more tensed because I can't relax per say.

When I TRY to full relax, I feel soo much tension in my neck/shoulders/head.. RIDICULOUS. I can't blame it all on ms either.

Jay
                            Jay have you tried any of the spasticity meds (baclofen, zanaflex, quinine sulfate)? Hope you feel better soon!

Comment

Here it is, almost a month later and I have to say that the days I have missed these supplements, the next day was horrid. I'm taking 200 ALA and 500 ALCAR. It's a very subtle increase in energy.

Now I'm on a new bottle. This one is combined, 200/400. I might just take two now that the lower dose has seemed to work out pretty well. No flare ups this time, so it probably wasn't what brought on the one in October last year.

Thanks for the info.
                              I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
                                Wow! Thanks Knuckle for all of the great info on my two favorite supplements! Even more reason to stick with them.
                                Hi Shashi,

Could you please mention the specific products you are taking. Although I take vitamins, I am not familiar with these supplements, and I'd like to be sure to get it right, since there seems to be some variations.

Thanks,
                                Ricky

Comment

Working...
                                X