Newcomer and a Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newcomer and a Question!

So I've heard that I Should look into my diet, and it got me wondering...

How to get a diet that I get plenty of iron in (as I have horrid Anemia), and yet not aggravate the MS giant? I've tried cutting back on meat before while also increasing the amount of beans and broccoli/sprouts/legumes, etc... it didn't work so well for my iron count.

I also have to worry about this diet being somewhat family friendly, since I've got a 2 year old and a 7 year old in the house.

Welcome to MSWorld, Kraheera!

You don't necessarily need to cut back on meat to have a MS-friendly diet. What's more important is the quality of the meat you consume.

You haven't said whether your doctor has looked into the cause for your low iron. It may be that you have an absorption problem that needs to be addressed. Are you taking supplemental iron?

Here's an old thread with some information on iron:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104616

The various MS diets have different approaches to the meat issue, and Tara herself has her own recommendations. She should be along within a few days to post a response to your thread.

By the way, you mentioned "beans and broccoli/sprouts/legumes"...just so you know, beans are legumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post

You don't necessarily need to cut back on meat to have a MS-friendly diet. What's more important is the quality of the meat you consume.

You haven't said whether your doctor has looked into the cause for your low iron. It may be that you have an absorption problem that needs to be addressed. Are you taking supplemental iron?

The various MS diets have different approaches to the meat issue, and Tara herself has her own recommendations. She should be along within a few days to post a response to your thread.

By the way, you mentioned "beans and broccoli/sprouts/legumes"...just so you know, beans are legumes.

Heh. Color me as having a blonde moment at the time of posting then.

Anyways, when I said anemia I also should have clarified and said it is Thalassemia, which mimics Anemia rather well. Absorption IS the problem. I take multivitamins twice a day with iron, as well as eating good iron-rich foods. Doing that, I can usually keep my iron levels between 27 and 30... (yes, I know that normal is about 34.)

When I start slacking on that, my iron count begins to head right towards 20 or 21. It's not exactly comfortable.

Anyways, my big point is that I don't want to upset the balancing act I've got with my iron. Bad enough fighting fatigue as it is, I really don't want to be dead on my feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post

This is an interesting question. I think you do need to cut back on your meat with all the MS diets. My naturapath, who seems to recommend the same diet as Tara, says 4oz of protein per day from Animal sources, so I think that means most people would at least have to cut back though not eliminate.

And it's worth defining what quality meats are. Many people might think that a fillet is quality meat, or the meat they get from the butcher is good, but I believe you mean certain parts of grass-fed animals and nothing else, right?

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
          This is an interesting question. I think you do need to cut back on your meet with all the MS diets. My naturapath, who seems to reccomend the same diet as Tara, says 4oz of protien per day from Animal sources, so I think that means most people would at least have to cut back though not eliminate.

And it's worth defining what quality meats are. Many people might think that a fillet is quality meat, or the meat they get from the butcher is good, but I believe you mean certain parts of grass-fed animals and nothing else, right?
          I agree with you, BigA.

My earlier post was kind of unclear. Tara does recommend small/modest amounts of animal protein, and for most people that would mean a reduction in meat consumption. However, since I wasn't sure how much meat the OP was actually eating in a day, I did say she wouldn't necessarily need to cut back.

As for what constitutes "quality" in meat, Tara defines it as being from grass-fed cows (I don't think she's talked about pigs), preferably organic. She hasn't specified which parts, though.

Hopefully she'll be giving us her input soon.

Comment

I tend to use smaller amounts of meat per meal than most people would, but I DID tend to eat more meals than most as well. (Notice the did? Appetite loss is kicking my butt.)

These days it's all I can do to shove some pasta or soup down my throat. I just don't get hungry most days, and I can't eat nearly enough per sitting to keep from losing lbs. It's getting rather annoying.

This will go on for a few days, then I'll have a day where my body wakes up and "I R HUNGREH!"

I try to eat healthy and balanced on those days... and then it's back to feeling like I just can't shove any food down my throat again.

There is a meat service out here that only does organic. I get bulk deliveries when I order from them... and it's usually steaks that I can cut up if I want to. Or chicken. I loooove chicken.

Comment

If you want to do it, you have to forget all you know about eating and stop having dead animals at the center of your meal.

Chicken breast (skin removed before cooking, not after) and fish are both good.

The easiest way to start is to only have meat once per day. So breakfast, lunch are veggie and then dinner can have some meat. If you limit to 4oz, that's a good size.

Comment

Not to take this lightly at all because diet is SO important with any body system malfunction - but I had to laugh at BigA - the picture you painted in my head about the dead meat made me laugh!

Kraheera - I wish you the best. the balancing act is difficult, especially with kids or partners whose diets are different.
                This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

Tonight is roasted turkey (skin is gone btw) with white beans, corn, and some scallopped potatoes.

Comment

Kraherra. A great start.

It's really true that we take it for granted that we should eat meat at every meal and that we forget that meat is an animal's muscle.

Small amounts of quality meat can be healthy. But we should aim beyond "eating better" which usually means drinking orange juice, eating carrots and buying pomegranet juice. Eating well means every meal is adding and not detracting from our health.

It takes a while to make new recipes, but it can be a smooth transition without suffering. And the results are worth it!

Comment

I don't aim to make meat at every meal - though admittedly I do make those on occasion - I more try to eat a balanced diet that tends to focus on things I need.

There are some days where I crave salt so bad I can taste it... there are some days when I crave milk. I tend to think about those cravings and try to figure out what I might be missing, despite my vitamins.

I don't actually cook with salt all that much, just because of some of the health problems that run in my family. I've instead turned to herbs to try to get a good taste. Lately though, eating fruit for me is turning into a real difficulty. I try, but it's like trying to shove trash down my throat. I actually feel my stomach try to rebel.

Comment

Hi Kraheera,

I believe everyone needs to create a custom diet to fit their health needs and taste, and you’re a great example of why I believe that.
                        How can there be a standard MS diet, when no standard set of symptoms or intensity of symptoms.

Anyway I highly recommend NutritionData.com, under Tools there is a nutrient search tool that help you. There is a good list of foods and spices with Iron, so it just a matter of finding what you like.

Although not in the search tool NutritionData.com also has IF inflammation scores, so also look for food with high IF scores. Dry roasted almonds scores really good on both, I recommend buying a bay of raw almonds and roasting them yourself. It is easy just do a Google video on how to roast them.

Spices can add a nice boost to your diet’s health and taste, so I’ll also recommend Penzeys.com.

P.S. Learn red meat is OK/good for us, it is the fat/fatty red meat that is inflammatory/bad for us.
                        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Heh, when I buy beef I go for the leaner cuts. Ground beef is always lean ground beef, always. I've found there's fewer grease with it too.

When I get steaks, I get the cuts that have the fat on the outside, then cut the fat off after cooking. Old family habit.

My big bad, however, is when we go out to eat. If I go into a steakhouse, I inevitably feel my inner carnivore roar to life, and I get a rare-medium rare slab of prime rib with garlic mashed potatoes loaded with gravy.

I know, I know. BAAAAAAD... but eh, that's only 3 times a year usually.

Comment

It's a start

I dont' know how they figure 3oz is a serving when we all eat at least 4oz in a burger, but at 3oz, lean ground (15%) is still 12grams of fat, 5 of which are saturated.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/6202/2

Comment

Honestly, when we do the ground hamburger thing? I normally don't eat it all. At least not in the last 8 months or so. I've had some serious appetite issues. Basically the goal is to eat so that i don't lose weight.

So far, I haven't lost 'weight'... but I've lost a lot of mass. And mostly fatty mass. I'm very active with 2 kids, and I force myself to gobble down an apple or something at random times of the day.

Part of the reason my neuro was very picky about what drugs I got on for my migraines, actually. Having asthma rules out beta blockers, and of the two options left, one caused appetite loss. Since I already had a hard time wanting to eat, he decided that probably wasn't a good bet.

I think this may be why he hasn't stressed the importance of diet. Frankly, I think he's happy that I'm eating at all.

No, I'm not anorexic. I used to eat way more than most would thanks to a hyper metabolism in my youth. Just within the last 8 months or so, my appetite has... gone away. I can't tell when I'm hungry, I can't tell when I'm full. I can only eat half a plate on average before I start feeling like my throat won't take any more, so I don't bother trying to fix full plates anymore. I have started putting more 'meals' in my day just to make sure I get enough... which is irritating, because I have always hated counting calories.

I find myself doing it just to not be underfed.

Gotta say though, this week I was actually hungry about 3 times. That's a record. Maybe it's improving? I hope so. I am from an Italian family. Food is Life.

Comment

Working...
                              X