Tumeric and inflammation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tumeric and inflammation

Much has been speculated about the use of tumeric (in tablet form or naturally used in food) in helping calm inflammation in the body.

What I wonder is that, since there's no direct evidence that it helps in MS patients, but since its also a totally natural ingredient, there can't be any harm in taking it anyway.

Just a thought. You have any on this?

Turmeric (Curcumin) is being taken in supplement form, and used in cooking, by many people with MS. If you do a search of this forum you should find a lot of previous posts.

Here's a link to a thread on the subject:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...light=turmeric

Comment

warning, tumeric side effects

be careful of Tumeric, i was taking it in powder form and i had awful side effects from it. I had GI upset, diarrhea and contractios and spasm in lower abdominal area. I did some research on it and found that it can cause those sypmtoms and uterine contraction. the side effects are very unpleasant so make sure you research how much is safe to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoee View Post
        be careful of Tumeric, i was taking it in powder form and i had awful side effects from it. I had GI upset, diarrhea and contractios and spasm in lower abdominal area. I did some research on it and found that it can cause those sypmtoms and uterine contraction. the side effects are very unpleasant so make sure you research how much is safe to take.
        I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Turmeric, Zoee.

The side effects you report are in the literature, but they're classified as rare.

May I ask how much you were taking? And was it loose powder, or capsules containing powder?

Comment

Yes buddy Turmeric really does help with inflammation. The yellow pigment in turmeric, curcumin, has potent antiflammatory and pain relieving properties in some studies, curcumin has been shown to be as effective an anti inflammatory as ibuprofen and cortisone. It works like the COX - 2 inhibitors celecoxib (Celebrex) and rofecoxib (Vioxx), but unlike the pharmaceuticals, it has minimal side affects.

Curcumin is available in some health food stores, generally, Naturopaths recommend taking 400 milligrams three times a day as a treatment for osteoarthritis. I would suggest using no more than that as a preventive.

Comment

Originally posted by sandradavis View Post
            Yes buddy Turmeric really does help with inflammation. The yellow pigment in turmeric, curcumin, has potent antiflammatory and pain relieving properties in some studies, curcumin has been shown to be as effective an anti inflammatory as ibuprofen and cortisone. It works like the COX - 2 inhibitors celecoxib (Celebrex) and rofecoxib (Vioxx), but unlike the pharmaceuticals, it has minimal side affects.

Curcumin is available in some health food stores, generally, Naturopaths recommend taking 400 milligrams three times a day as a treatment for osteoarthritis. I would suggest using no more than that as a preventive.
            Could you give us the source for the information you posted? Also, please be aware that cutting and pasting material from other websites is not allowed at MSWorld.

We have a "Tell Us About Yourself" forum here where new members can introduce themselves, if you'd like to make use of it. Do you have MS yourself?

We'd like to get to know you.

Comment

Working...
            X