how much gluten free is needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much gluten free is needed?

I have a friend who is a VERY sensitive celiac. He reads labels to the nth degree, finding all the hidden gluten.

Is that critical for ms gluten avoiders? Doesn't the fact that we have cut out the BIG contributors like bread, cereal, crackers, etc. give us enough of a gluten free diet? Or do we have to be gluten ninjas like my friend is?

I realize they really do not seem to have much data on this, so I wonder if there is any evidence of people who have gone gf, who do not have new lesions, who are symptom free for a really long time?

I admit I know so little, I wonder what it is I am really trying to ask.
    You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Tara Palmer, MSWorld's professional nutritionist, says it's necessary to go 100% gluten free even if you don't have a proven allergy/sensitivity to gluten. Partial measures aren't sufficient.

Hopefully she'll be along soon to share more of her thinking with you.

Comment

Originally posted by zilphia01 View Post
      I realize they really do not seem to have much data on this, so I wonder if there is any evidence of people who have gone gf, who do not have new lesions, who are symptom free for a really long time?
      Even though there might not seem to be much reliable data, that doesn't stop you from going totally gf for two or three months, doing a study on yourself and seeing what your own results are. That would be the best evidence of all. If you have fewer symptoms and feel better, you'll know clearly what your choices are. If you don't feel any better, you'll know you've done the best short-term symptom study that can be done -- the one that applies to you.

Comment

I'm wondering about gluten-free as well. My PT/OT recommend that I do the gluten-free diet.

What are the supposed benefits for MSers ?

Who here has tried gluten-free and did you notice a difference in your health, etc. ?

Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by cosake View Post
          I'm wondering about gluten-free as well. My PT/OT recommend that I do the gluten-free diet.

What are the supposed benefits for MSers ?

Who here has tried gluten-free and did you notice a difference in your health, etc. ?

Thanks !
          You might want to check out the Direct-MS website, in particular the "Science" and "Nutrition" sections. Tara has the link in her Profile, but I'll put it here too:

http://www.direct-ms.org/aboutus.html

I'd also suggest scrolling through the pages of Tara's forum, looking for topics that relate to gluten. Alternatively, you can do a search of the forum and get a list of posts/threads to read.

Personally, when I eliminated gluten I experienced increased energy and mental clarity, plus a huge improvement in my chronic gastrointestinal symptoms. Whether going gluten free has slowed the progression of my MS is unclear, since there's no way of knowing how I'd have done if I'd kept gluten in my diet.

Comment

Originally posted by zilphia01 View Post
            I have a friend who is a VERY sensitive celiac. He reads labels to the nth degree, finding all the hidden gluten.

Is that critical for ms gluten avoiders? Doesn't the fact that we have cut out the BIG contributors like bread, cereal, crackers, etc. give us enough of a gluten free diet? Or do we have to be gluten ninjas like my friend is?

I admit I know so little, I wonder what it is I am really trying to ask.
            To make the connection between gluten free and no new lesions, well frankly, would have all of us taking control of our health through dietary changes, committed to psychiatric hospitals.
            There would be no way to confirm that connection.

Eliminating gluten (completely) for a period of time (60 days) is your best test.
            If you read through member's posts you'll see how gluten free has resolved or reduced many annoying and disabling symptoms that had previously changed the quality of their lives.
            NutritionTara
            Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
            X