Diet Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diet Questions

I have some questions. I have heard about doing the elimination diet to see what makes you feel bad. I must be researching it wrong the only things I can find about it is places that want to sell me something on how to do it.

I wondered if anyone could give me tips. I know I am allergic to tomatoes told to me by a professional. But, judging by recent reactions after eating paprika I am wondering about it.

I really do need to change my diet, I am not gaining weight, nor losing. But my body is shifting into an unhealthy shape, with the unhealthy pounds that I have.

I am so worn out working fifty hours a week with a daily two/three hour round trip commute. So I don't really get exercise. I tend to sleep alot on the weekends. But, I do try to get up and walk down a hallway and back at work at least once an hour.

I am currently on copaxone, and a blood pressure med. I am taking a b complex, potassium (or else shin cramps), acetyl carnitine and alpha lipoic acid.

I am planning on taking vitamin c and an iron supplement and I wonder if I need to add a multi. (doctor wants me to take the c and iron) I wonder about adding vitamin d as well.

So any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated

Doing an elimination diet is simplicity itself. Remove the suspect food from your diet for a substantial period of time, then add it back while watching carefully for any reaction to it. If you remove several foods simultaneously, be sure to only add them back one at a time.

Gluten is the most common cause of food sensitivity, followed by dairy products. If you know you're sensitive to tomatoes and are also having problems with paprika, you may be sensitive to the whole Nightshade family...tomatoes, peppers (sweet and hot), potatoes, eggplant.

Many MSers are supplementing Vitamin D. Here's a recent thread on the subject:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112163

Comment

Have a question about the gluten/dairy piece; is it worth getting an allergy blood test to see if I´m sensitive to it? If the test comes back negative does that mean it is not worth eliminating gluten and/or dairy? Bottom line, is the blood test definitive and predictive?

I am really having a hard time saying good bye to bread and gluten containing desserts.

How long would one go without gluten to know if it is causing a problem? I have lingering buzzing from the peak of the initial symptoms in April.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
        Have a question about the gluten/dairy piece; is it worth getting an allergy blood test to see if I´m sensitive to it? If the test comes back negative does that mean it is not worth eliminating gluten and/or dairy? Bottom line, is the blood test definitive and predictive?

I am really having a hard time saying good bye to bread and gluten containing desserts.

How long would one go without gluten to know if it is causing a problem? I have lingering buzzing from the peak of the initial symptoms in April.
        Gluten and dairy are really two separate issues. Tara recommends eliminating gluten, but says that "predigested" dairy products such as yogurt, kefir, cheese and naturally cultured cottage cheese are likely to be okay.

According to Tara, sensitivity testing is unreliable and doing an elimination diet gives better results. Anyone who suspects Celiac Disease should be tested, though; that test is definitive and a positive result makes eliminating gluten mandatory.

Some MSers make the decision to go gluten free on a permanent basis without ever being tested for sensitivity or doing an elimination diet. For the reasoning behind this, you can check out the Best Bet Diet or its American derivative, the MS Recovery Diet. The BBD online presentation is particularly good.

http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuse.../show/pageid/8

http://msrecoverydiet.com/

Recommendations for how long to go without gluten before trying to reintroduce it vary. I'd suggest starting a separate thread for this question to be sure Tara sees it and can give you the benefit of her expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post

I frequently hear symptoms of "buzzing", nueropathy, low B-12 in MS patients..the absorption is in the gut and dependent on intrinsic factor. Gluten plays a role in this process.
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemanda View Post
            I have some questions. I have heard about doing the elimination diet to see what makes you feel bad. I must be researching it wrong the only things I can find about it is places that want to sell me something on how to do it.

I wondered if anyone could give me tips. I know I am allergic to tomatoes told to me by a professional. But, judging by recent reactions after eating paprika I am wondering about it.

I really do need to change my diet, I am not gaining weight, nor losing. But my body is shifting into an unhealthy shape, with the unhealthy pounds that I have.

I am so worn out working fifty hours a week with a daily two/three hour round trip commute. So I don't really get exercise. I tend to sleep alot on the weekends. But, I do try to get up and walk down a hallway and back at work at least once an hour.

I am currently on copaxone, and a blood pressure med. I am taking a b complex, potassium (or else shin cramps), acetyl carnitine and alpha lipoic acid.

I am planning on taking vitamin c and an iron supplement and I wonder if I need to add a multi. (doctor wants me to take the c and iron) I wonder about adding vitamin d as well.

So any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated
            Diet has truly helped me.

One part of your post stood out "iron". Per Tara, I eliminated a multi I took with iron. I could feel a marked difference (better). So, you may want to research iron and MS before taking the supplement.

Good luck.
            Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

One thing that stood out to me is your supplement with Vitamin C. Vitamin C (and anything that boosts your immune system) can actually not be as good for you, since our immune systems are the problem.
              Diagnosis: May, 2008
              Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Within one week of going dairy-free, my sx have calmed down A LOT. The buzzing is at a minimum. Still get hand tremors, but oh the peace and quiet from no buzz is quite a relief. I will stay gluten and dairy free for another month or so and then try some bread to see what happens, but I´m already convinced that dairy was a factor as the change was so sudden.

Comment

Working...
                X