This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Healthy Recipes Thread #2

Time for a new thread where we can share our healthy, tasty recipes!

Here's a link to the old thread, for anyone who wants to check it out:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ealthy+Recipes

Dairy-free, gluten-free, BUT delicious smoothie

So I was trying to modify my diet to fit those regs and came up with this:

Put into the blender 1 ripe banana, a generous cup of FROZEN strawberries, about 1 cup rice milk OR almond milk and a few drops of stevia. Puree til smooth. It was GREAT. Measurements are not exact, but hey, it΄s a smoothie.

Comment

Flavor without cheese

Going dairy-free is going to be a challenge for me so I pass on to you all the idea of using smoked paprika- a very different beast than regular paprika. The smoked kind is out of this world good. You can order it from Penzeys.com - they sell all sorts of herbs and spices.
      I use the smoked paprika in homemade hummus and on oven roasted potatoes- either white or sweet (cut spuds into chunks or wedges, toss in oil, sprinkle with garlic salt or garlic powder and paprika, 400 degrees about 40 minutes, toss now and again. Delicious. For the Spanish tapas version, serve with a spicy tomato sauce.)

Comment

Nutritional yeast flakes are another good source of "flavor without cheese"...they can be sprinkled on savory dishes, veggies, even popcorn! Alternatively, they can be stirred into soups and stews.

As an added bonus, nutritional yeast is an excellent source of B vitamins, especially if it's been fortified with B12. Red Star is a good brand; it's available in bulk at natural food stores. Doesn't need refrigeration like active dry yeast, either.

Comment

black bean salsa

I love (and crave) this stuff!!
          1 can drained black beans (whatever size you have)
          2 C frozen corn kernals
          1 diced yellow, green, red pepper (each, or any combo)
          1/4 to 1/2 red red onion, minced
          1 clove gaarlic, minced
          1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
          minced jalapeno to taste (I used pickled rings, about 8 of them)

mix together, make sauce and pour over
          1/4 C canola oil
          1/4 C red wine vinegar
          1 tsp lime juice
          salt to taste
          You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Easy lunch or dinner meal- canned salmon patties

Mash one can of wild caught salmon- yes, leave the bones in there.
            Add a blob of prepared mustard, a splash of tamari sauce, ground pepper, smoked paprika, chopped onion (chop FINELY), about 1/4 cup of buckwheat flour (that is what I had on hand, any flour will do as a binder), one egg

Mash salmon, add the rest, stir well, form 5 patties with your hands. Heat pan, when hot add oil cook patties. I preheated at med. heat, turned it to med-lo to cook and flipped once. Put a lid over the pan to be sure it was heated through. Got a nice browned surface and it was tasty. Canned salmon is already cooked so you are basically cooking the egg and heating the patty through.

Comment

Easy, healthy breakfast

Quinoa cereal:

1 C dry quinoa- soak in cold water about 15 minutes.
              Rinse very well (I use a yogurt strainer- cheese cloth will do or a very fine strainer.)
              Boil 2 C water, when boiling add quinoa, reduce to simmer, simmer about 5 minutes, turn off, leave on burner, let sit about 20 minutes.
              Serve with vanilla flavored almond milk and sprinkle of cinnamon.
              Makes enough for 3-4 days of breakfast- store in refrigerator and nuke to reheat.
              If you don΄t soak and rinse the quinoa, it will be bitter.
              Cooked this way, it has a nice texture and is not mushy.

Comment

rice with creole to make it "tasty"

rice with creole to make it "tasty"

I needed a cheap and easy to make dish. My family likes it, and I like it too. Basically, make rice, and use the spice "creole". And I add vegetable broth for 2/3 of the water needed. It isn't that expensive, and creole is sold at your local grocery store.

Start out with a very tiny amount of creole, because it is really spicy. And the next time you make it, you can increase it a little, until you get it to the taste you like. I have no energy, so this is about as simple as it gets.

But I don't explain to the guest how easy it is to make, so they think I must have some energy to make that tasty rice. And the next time, I am going to buy brown rice. But hey, I bought white rice for $2. And it is going to last me for 2 months.

I thought of rice because I have Celiac disease and need to be gluten free. I eat mostly fruits and vegetables but needed something else. This works well. Oh, thank you, this post was a good idea.

Comment

2 easy gluten free recipes

2 easy gluten free recipes. I read the title to the next post and should have waited until tomorrow to post this. Maybe the wonderful MSworld editors will move this post to a different section.

Gluten free Peanut butter cookies
                  [URL]http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/32/3Ingredient_Peanut_Butter_Cookies6730.shtml[URL]
                  3 ingredients, I don't think it can get easier than this

Rice krispies and apples, if Rice krispies aren't officially gluten free, put Rice chex in ziplock back, and crush them by rolling pie roller over it.
                  [URL]http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/369/Apple-Crispies104704.shtml[URL]
                  My rule is if I haven't used something in a year, I give it away. I have one of those nice apple slicers that slices and peels the apple. Needless to say, I don't have energy to do anything. So I haven't sliced any apples in several years.

But since I've gone gluten free, I've started eating healther, and this week my husband bought me some apples when he purchased the groceries.

So now I have sliced apples, and need to figure out how to use them. So my daughter is home from school tomorrow, and I'm going to ask her to help me with these two small projects. I know she'll be shocked, because she never sees me doing anything.

But I think these two gluten free recipes look pretty easy. And since it is too warm to sit outside, I'll be sitting in the house tomorrow. I can watch these bake and then take a nap.

Comment

Chickpea Salad (If you're eating legumes)

Chilling makes all the difference in this great salad. And the generous splash of olive oil and lemon juice brings out all the great veggie flavors. The chick peas add variety and a nice texture.

INGREDIENTS:
                    1 can chilled garbanzo beans, drained
                    1/4 cup red onion, chopped
                    2 cloves garlic, minced
                    1 tomato, chopped (I used quartered cherry tomatoes)
                    1/2 cup chopped red and green peppers
                    1/2 cup chopped parsley and/or cilantro
                    3 tablespoons olive oil
                    1 tablespoon lemon juice
                    1 or 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
                    1 tsp oregano
                    salt and pepper to taste
                    DIRECTIONS:
                    1. In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, red onion, garlic, tomato, red and green peppers, parsley, cilantro, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, oregano and then salt and pepper to taste. Chill for 2 hours (or overnight) before serving. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve. (You can adjust these ingredients as you desire.)
                    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

This is one of Paula Deen's recipes:

Black-eyed Pea Dip

Ingredients
                      • 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
                      • 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
                      • 1 (10-ounce) can spicy canned tomatoes, chopped
                      • 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
                      • 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
                      • 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh jalapeno pepper
                      • 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
                      • 1 (4-ounce) jar chopped pimentos, drained
                      • Corn chips, for serving
                      Dressing:
                      • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
                      • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
                      • 1 teaspoon salt
                      • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
                      • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
                      • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
                      • Pinch dried oregano
                      • 1/2 cup olive oil
                      • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
                      Directions
                      In a large bowl, combine the black-eyed peas, corn, tomatoes, red, green, and jalapeno peppers, onion, and pimentos.
                      In a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the wine and balsamic vinegars, salt, pepper, mustard, sugar, oregano, and olive and vegetable oils. Shake until the ingredients are blended.
                      Add the dressing to the pea mixture and stir gently but thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
                      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

A friend of mine sent me this recipe. It would definitely be gluten-free. I don't know how good it is because I haven't tried it yet, but she loves it.

CAULIFLOWER CRUST PIZZA

1 head cauliflower, cooked and mashed/riced
                        2-3 eggs, beaten
                        handful mozzarella cheese (grated)

combine and bake on cookie sheet or piza pan - 425 for 15 minutes or so

add your favorite pizza toppings, return to oven, til cheese is melted, etc.

Enjoy - you'll have to eat with a fork, but that's doable

Comment

apple & rice krispie recipe tastes really good

My daughter prepared the sliced apple with rice krispies recipe this today. I like it better than apple pie/apple dumplings. I think I must be an advertiser. Ironic, since I have no money to purchase anything now. Several years ago, before it was advertised on tv, I bought a ninja chopper to make the vegi smoothies I make daily. It was cheap back then, before it hit the internet or tv. I bought it at a store back then that had it for sale cheap on a close out rack. It is really nice, because all I have to do is rinse it when I'm done, and it's clean. But I wouldn't pay the price they charge now. I'm too cheap. Anyway, she shredded the rice krispies, brown sugar, and butter together, and it was nice, like fine bread crumbs. Then she just covered the apple slices with it, cooked, and it tastes great. She did cook it in the NuWave aeromatic oven I bought several years ago, so the house didn't get warm, it took very little electric to cook, and it tastes great. I'm glad I had the strength to go shopping back then, knowing what would be helpful to me in the future. Anyway, it really tastes good. And again, I can prepare it when someone comes, and they'll never know how simple it was to make. No one is ever going to believe that I don't do anything. Now to go rinse the dishes. ; )

Comment

I'll bet it does taste good!

Unfortunately, with the butter and the brown sugar (not to mention the dubious nutritional value of the Rice Krispies themselves), about the only thing healthy about it is that it's gluten free.

Comment

Healthy Recipe thread #3

Hope it is ok to start this thread. I love this part of the message board.

This recipe was in Cooking Light. Looks bizzarre (black mush) but is soooo good.

Black Bean Hummus
                              1/2 C chopped cilantro
                              2 T tahini
                              2 T water
                              2 T lime juice
                              1 T olive oil
                              3/4 tsp cumin
                              3/4 tsp coriander (my addition)
                              1/4 tsp salt
                              1 15 oz can drained black beans
                              1 clove garlic minced
                              1/2 small jalapeno seeded and minced

smush all up in a food processor. Serve with gluten free chips. I used the Blue Diamond Almond or Pecan GF crisps. so very good.
                              You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Working...
                              X