My exercise problem (Body Wellness)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My exercise problem (Body Wellness)

I go to a Health consultant semi regularly. She does muscle testing and other things.

One of her recent recommendations, twice in a row, is to exercise 20 minutes per day 4 days per week.

On a good week, I:
    - go to Silver Sneakers twice (45 minutes each)
    - try to do strength training at home, using just a few exercises given to me by a physical therapist many years ago. Maybe only 5 minutes each time.

B gives positive affirmation for my Silver Sneakers days, but really wants me to do more the rest of the week. I've explained how I dislike exercise with a passion, and it pushes my motivation just to try to inconsistent at what I'm doing.

What has happened is that I haven't done ANY strength training at home lately.

While I seem, sometimes, to be able to use our Goslsetters exercise check-ins to motivate me. B's reoeated suggestions have just accomplished the opposite.

I don't know why I can't use her suggestions to motivate myself.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
    I go to a Health consultant semi regularly. She does muscle testing and other things.

One of her recent recommendations, twice in a row, is to exercise 20 minutes per day 4 days per week.

Mamabug, you do not mention the one thing that your consultant must have noted; your muscle testing results may have declined. Therefore the need for the suggested 20m @ day; 4 days @ week.

On a good week, I:
    - go to Silver Sneakers twice (45 minutes each)
    - try to do strength training at home, using just a few exercises given to me by a physical therapist many years ago. Maybe only 5 minutes each time.

B gives positive affirmation for my Silver Sneakers days, but really wants me to do more the rest of the week.

I agree with your health consultant.

I've explained how I dislike exercise with a passion, and it pushes my motivation just to try to inconsistent at what I'm doing.

What has happened is that I haven't done ANY strength training at home lately.

While I seem, sometimes, to be able to use our Goslsetters exercise check-ins to motivate me. B's reoeated suggestions have just accomplished the opposite.

I don't know why I can't use her suggestions to motivate myself.

Maybe your MS hasn't appeared to be as troublesome lately? You might not feel or see the need? You have mentioned remission at times, do you believe that will last?

Why not engage your health consultants wishes before decline becomes noticeable to you?

Your disposition regarding exercise needs to be adjusted. Mind or Spirit leads, Body follows as best as it can. Please keep at it.

Comment

Have been revisited by an old sx lately.

Wednesday and Thursday of the past week I have experienced what I'll call 'stutter' vision. Best description is similar to a horizontal spinning (L to R) but not actually dizzy. It is a stutter. I can't lock vision onto an object without it appearing to jump or stutter slightly to the R. Not noticeable within say 10 feet, obvious at a distance.

Friday through today are the same but diminished daily. When driving, no problem... keeping eyes moving, as anyone who drives defensively knows, eliminates the stutter.

Despite the 'stutter,' I continued with all exercise routines. Actually making sure to not cheat and make an excuse. There were no problems which lifted my spirits!

Oh, I came across an article* that may be related in a way, to my above sx. You decide.

It's tempting to assume that if we were in a risky enterprise (driving) we would be aware of any danger and stop or avoid the situation altogether. But the study of disasters shows that such assumptions are too easy.

Diane Vaughan (The Challenger Launch Decision) dubs a process to describe an anomaly as understandable, predictable and ultimately acceptable as 'the normalization of deviance.'

MS and the sx that we all experience become the 'new normal' for us. Is living an MS life normalizing a deviance? After all what else can we do?

* WSJ, 5-11-12, paraphrasing from a review by James B. Meigs

Comment

Oh wow ‼️. One more challenge to face. Sorry you're dealing with this.

- Faith
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

Mamabug, you do not mention the one thing that your consultant must have noted; your muscle testing results may have declined. Therefore the need for the suggested 20m @ day; 4 days @ week.

I agree with your health consultant.
          . . .

Why not engage your health consultants wishes before decline becomes noticeable to you?

Your disposition regarding exercise needs to be adjusted. Mind or Spirit leads, Body follows as best as it can. Please keep at it.

I agree, too. But, being able to adjust my attitude is the problem I'm sharing. My Mind and Spirit seemed unable at that writing to "lead". Telling me I'm wrong, when that's pretty much the problem I just shared, doesn't really give me additional information or helpful advice.

I'm doing somewhat better now.

But I didn't really feel "heard" in your response.

- Faith

~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Hi Faith,

Good to hear that you are doing somewhat better as of yesterdays post.

Apologies, if you thought I was saying you were wrong.... I did mention disposition regarding exercise nothing more.

If life is anything at all it is a series of choices.

Regardless of how you may feel about something if you know it to be the right choice, you must do it. Many here will agree that exercise (keeping moving!), allows each of us to take MS personally. It is our responsibility, no one elses.

Maybe others will suggest motivation that will accommodate you.... but remember you must apply it.

Comment

I think sometimes when we hear news that is upsetting or feels like a set back, it is easy to feel defeated and also lose our motivation. I always seem like I need a little time to adjust, accept the new reality, then get more of the fight back in me.

Maybe if 20 minutes is too much right now, shoot for 10 and tell yourself that each week or every other week, add another minute until you get to 20. And while doing the 10, keep up your weight bearing activity so you hopefully don't lose that. And make sure to reward yourself after - nice cup of tea, read something that soothes you, make a call, etc ...

Good luck to you. Hope you find your motivation.

Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

Have been revisited by an old sx lately.

Wednesday and Thursday of the past week I have experienced what I'll call 'stutter' vision. Best description is similar to a horizontal spinning (L to R) but not actually dizzy. It is a stutter. I can't lock vision onto an object without it appearing to jump or stutter slightly to the R. Not noticeable within say 10 feet, obvious at a distance.

Friday through today are the same but diminished daily. When driving, no problem... keeping eyes moving, as anyone who drives defensively knows, eliminates the stutter.

Just an update on my above post....

Had a total of 4 days with the 'stutter' vision, barely noticeable on the last two, then... it vanished entirely!

Grateful as always! Let's keep at it.

Comment

I'm currently doing what I can. I didn't mention that, beginning May 5, I've been reading and listening to Dr Mindy Pelz "Fast Like a Girl" content and working pretty hard with trying new eating and dietary strategies. I made this decision after attending some metabolic reset classes; it was recommended by the functional medicine nurse practitioner.

While I'm doing this. In order not to go backwards with exercise, I simply CANNOT attempt to move forward and do more exercise as well. I would be unable to succeed and it would be a huge stress on my mental health.

Maybe I should have pursued increasing my exercise first. But, I see multiple people for my health and I am unable to implement all the new changes that multiple people recommend at the same time.

We all need to make decisions based on what we know about ourselves. I believe that Silver Sneakers two days per week plus PT at home twice a week is a realistic goal for me. If, at some point, I'm ready to consider increasing my exercise, I'll pursue that then.

I have more motivation to attempt the dietary changes than to increase my exercise. Without adequate motivation to increase exercise I will fail. I may even be likely to move backwards. So, I choose the course that is more likely to be successful.

502E79 believes that I need to make "the right choice". I believe that, for now, this IS the right choice for me.

- Faith
                  ~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                  X