Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mind, Body, and Spirit Wellness - What is your approach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
    I try to get out and walk each day, usually with our dog. Most days that refreshes the spirit, especially any day we can get out in nature by any body of water. It also helps the mind and body.

I have been intermittent with the gym, but hope next week to get back more consistently. I like to use the weight machines, stretch, and use the rowing machine and/or stationary bike.

As for the mind, I like to read, play puzzles, do puzzles and crafts, and am supposed to start learning how to carve wood soon. Also want to learn to sew. We try to socialize with friends and family too.

My spirit gets lifted each week when attending service, as well as volunteering at our church's food pantry. I try to start each day with 3 gratitude's and sometimes journal to get things off my mind. When I stray from a gratitude focus, I can feel my spirit sag.

​​​​​​

Hey Kathy!

Looks like a well-balanced life regarding Mind, Body, and Spirit Wellness!
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
      I get out twice a week to go out with my son. This involves a tram, a train and a long walk. When I get back to my station and I am walking to the tram to go home, I say a prayer of thankfulness that I am still able to do this. MS is a burden but I don't want to forget to be grateful for the things that are still very good.
      Hey loopey!

Sounds wonderful! Great attitude!
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

My grandchild contribute to all. They fill my mind with their never ending questions and silly antics; they keep my body active (even at my own slow pace) and nourish my spirits with their love and hugs!!

Any other grandparent out there who can relate?
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          My grandchild contribute to all. They fill my mind with their never ending questions and silly antics; they keep my body active (even at my own slow pace) and nourish my spirits with their love and hugs!!

Any other grandparent out there who can relate?
          Absolutely!

~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

Hey Jer!

Mind, Body and Spirit don't necessarily have to be combined - they can be discussed separately.

Certainly agree KoKo, they do not necessarily 'combine' but there is a relationship between MB&S.

If I'm thinking (M) correctly, my workouts go well regardless of the quality of the session.

If my body feels responsive whether on a gym day or not, I am grateful (S).

Or conversely if my spirit is up (without any reason I can think of), a gym session goes well!

And there are days that I search out Spiritual input;

Like Kathy's dog walks or Sashas & Faith's grandchildren, Loopy's visits with her son. My days like yours, spent thinking, praying and studying.

You said it best; 'When my Spirit is well, then all is well, regardless of what I may be experiencing in life'.

Comment

Hi everyone!

I would like to share how I approach Body Wellness.

Diet wise, I followed the Mediterranean Diet for many years. I felt my best when I ate that way, which included lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, fish (lots of sardines), olive oil, nuts, whole grains, and nonfat Greek Yogurt.

Now that I reside in a nursing home, my diet is quite different. We do have lots of fruits and vegetables, but not fresh. We do have fish a couple times a week, but lots of meat on the other days. I rarely ate meat before.

In any case, I try to eat as healthy as possible. I do eat oatmeal, peanut butter, and regular fruited yogurt daily.

I drink at least 40 oz of water, and cranberry juice and apple juice daily for keeping well hydrated. (Also drink 2 cups of coffee daily.)

I take some supplements daily - Calcium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, and Cranberry. I used to take a boat-load of supplements in the past, but it is too costly to do so now.

I sleep ok but do wake up several times in the night. I take regular naps daily to offset the disrupted night-time sleep.

I exercise daily, according to my physical abilities.

Most of my exercises are done in the chair - arm, leg, and core (trunk). And with my chair totally reclined to the flat position, I can even do pelvic tilts / bridges!

I take PT when insurance allows for it. I recently ran out of sessions but hope to resume sometime in the near future. I was working on sit-to-stand when the sessions ran out.

I do breathing exercises, especially when I feel anxiety coming on. The exercises do help!

Well, that's all I can think of for now regarding Body Wellness.

Comment

Body wellness.... Hmm.

After the passing of my love and later the MS dx, I needed to review and adjust my overall life.

The order was spiritual wellness first. Although it is said that you can't reason your way to God you certainly can reason your way from God. I have. This thinking gave me (and continues to give) mental discipline. Correct thinking and attitude are necessary if you expect to affect any bodily change.

That said, MS is relentless. My bodily change became trying to maintain muscle mass... but I still continue. As for me, I think the MS pace may be slowing down, MHO.

My diet approach is common sense
                (except for KoKo's sardines!), I avoid red meat usually, I eat what ever I want. No restrictions but no stupidity either (ie; no junk food, no fast food) . No coffee at all. Very little soda.

AND; Without really trying I no longer have a daily Gibson! or even a glass of red! So No alcohol, one year or so now. Who knew!?

I am working on increasing hydration. Also take; Calcium, D3, B3, B12, a Multi V, and supplement CoQ-10.

Sleep is improving. And like KoKo, regular naps often help.

Lastly, YES to exercise or movement, any movement. Remember it's harder to hit a moving target.

Comment

Something additional these past weeks....

Between 2011 and 2018, I spent a few days weekly at our rural library in the reference section. Philosophy / Theology etc. Also began more NF reading. I could still write at that time so notes became common.

Last week a pile of notes dropped out of a dictionary. Words with definitions!

I've tested myself and the results have led me to begin memorizing these old but still unfamiliar words. Hoping to stay with this mental exercise! Also... there is something to 'memory palace' despite MS!

Side A nice conversation with a resident here, not a word about MS, just simply refreshing!

Comment

Working...
                  X