Goalposters check-in thread 10-12-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goalposters check-in thread 10-12-2023

A day late again. Thanks for checking in last week, everyone!

Made goals.
    Only 1x Silver Sneakers
    3x PT at home
    Extra movement / steps with unpacking and grandchildren.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Hello Mamabug!

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post

Made goals.
    Only 1x Silver Sneakers
    3x PT at home
    Extra movement / steps with unpacking and grandhildren.
    Super exercise week for you Mamabug!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post

Made goals.
      Only 1x Silver Sneakers
      3x PT at home
      Extra movement / steps with unpacking and grandchildren.

Good for you Faith! A solid week along with all that goes with moving, very good.

Have had success with one day per week (leg day). And kept a couple of days for cardio work (elliptical & treadmill).

Pain has eased off! It's manageable (without drugs), just maintain stretching, which is painful but... familiar. Far better than both last week and the one before!

Please don't misunderstand, I know my body well enough not to be fooled but also well enough to appreciate and be grateful for what may be a touch of normal!

Long tale, but short version: PT works! The PT therapist only knows so much, so nod graciously and adapt the exercises accordingly. Add discipline! Prayer doesn't hurt either.

And I've said this before, If you can, occasionally do exercises and routines with eyes closed. Some of you may be familiar with this yoga practice; you focus on a specific point on your body, then move your attention elsewhere and again, etc. (There's a name for this, comment if you know)....

The idea is to know location in time and space. In an exercise: it's to focus on a specific muscle group. It is great for balance also but be careful, know your limits.

So, goals for next week remain the same for now! Let's keep at it.

Comment

Hey everyone!

I achieved my current exercise goals: short walks and short times of standing daily, stretches, in-chair ab crunches, arm and leg exercises, and breathing exercises.

I spaced the exercises out a little more which did help some with the motor fatigue.

I didn't need lift-off help from the commode this week.

Been trying to maintain a steady ambient temperature in my room but it's not been easy.

There's a cold draft in my room, so I call for the aide to turn temp up.

Then I get too warm and have to call for the temp to be turned down.

Round and round it goes/

I miss having a remote control like I had at my apartment and also at the assisted living!

Had the regular monthly Doctor appointment, including an intern.

The intern was glad to get to do a neuro exam (I'm sure it's more interesting doing the exam on those of us with neurological deficits!)

Wishing everyone a wonderful week!
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          Hey everyone!

I achieved my current exercise goals: short walks and short times of standing daily, stretches, in-chair ab crunches, arm and leg exercises, and breathing exercises.

I spaced the exercises out a little more which did help some with the motor fatigue.

I didn't need lift-off help from the commode this week.
          I'm happy to read that your efforts continue and have dividends. The dividends may be smaller but are usually sufficient. Recognizing them is a blessing.

Been trying to maintain a steady ambient temperature in my room but it's not been easy.

There's a cold draft in my room, so I call for the aide to turn temp up.

Then I get too warm and have to call for the temp to be turned down.

Round and round it goes/

I miss having a remote control like I had at my apartment and also at the assisted living!
          I hear you. Wish my body would be as concerned with over doing exercise.

Had the regular monthly Doctor appointment, including an intern.

The intern was glad to get to do a neuro exam (I'm sure it's more interesting doing the exam on those of us with neurological deficits!)

Wishing everyone a wonderful week!
          Had to smile and chuckle. Years ago my PC ran what I think was an EEG. He had the nurse apply suction cups, wires etc, and conduct the test. He knew of the neurologist dx of MS and wanted to 'have a look-see?' My best guess.

The nurse was glad to do the exam, being out of the ordinary, interesting.... Up to a point... then her face dropped looking at the readouts, lost color and then a hasty exit! I chuckled then but not in her presence. The doc quelled her discomfort before she returned.

Guess that screen was a kind of crystal ball showing my 'new normal'

Have another good week KoKo. Get the sweater out.

Comment

Hello Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

I'm happy to read that your efforts continue and have dividends. The dividends may be smaller but are usually sufficient. Recognizing them is a blessing.

Thank you Jer!

I hear you. Wish my body would be as concerned with over doing exercise.

Had to smile and chuckle. Years ago my PC ran what I think was an EEG. He had the nurse apply suction cups, wires etc, and conduct the test. He knew of the neurologist dx of MS and wanted to 'have a look-see?' My best guess.

The nurse was glad to do the exam, being out of the ordinary, interesting.... Up to a point... then her face dropped looking at the readouts, lost color and then a hasty exit! I chuckled then but not in her presence. The doc quelled her discomfort before she returned.

Guess that screen was a kind of crystal ball showing my 'new normal'

It does seem like MS is one of the more 'fascinating' diseases.

Have another good week KoKo. Get the sweater out.

No sweater! Wearing warm clothing ticks up my core body temperature, holds heat! I become a weak, wet noodle.

Taking it off then putting it back on over and over wears me out.

Comment

Hey there Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

Have had success with one day per week (leg day). And kept a couple of days for cardio work (elliptical & treadmill).

Pain has eased off! It's manageable (without drugs), just maintain stretching, which is painful but... familiar. Far better than both last week and the one before!

Sounds good, nice job!

Please don't misunderstand, I know my body well enough not to be fooled but also well enough to appreciate and be grateful for what may be a touch of normal!

i do get what you're saying.

Long tale, but short version: PT works! The PT therapist only knows so much, so nod graciously and adapt the exercises accordingly. Add discipline! Prayer doesn't hurt either.

And I've said this before, If you can, occasionally do exercises and routines with eyes closed. Some of you may be familiar with this yoga practice; you focus on a specific point on your body, then move your attention elsewhere and again, etc. (There's a name for this, comment if you know)....

The idea is to know location in time and space. In an exercise: it's to focus on a specific muscle group. It is great for balance also but be careful, know your limits.

I'll try some with eyes closed, but I don't know about that.....

So, goals for next week remain the same for now! Let's keep at it.

We'll keep on keeping on!

Comment

Working...
              X