X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The goalposters exercise check in thread; 10-05-2023

Made goals.

1x silver Sneakers
    0x PT at home. I haven't found my 5 lb weights yet, during unpacking.

More movement than my norm with unpacking, playing with grandkids.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
    Made goals.

1x silver Sneakers

Hi Mamabug! Happy to hear you accomplished some SS time this week. Know what you mean about not finding items you packed, 'been there... etc.' In my case they are still missing!?

Really don't know how to comment on the week. My plans changed on entering gym Monday.

I went back to one day per week as 'leg day.' But did maintain the newer 2 days to cardio work on an elliptical, so there is leg work to some extent.

So I'm moving, yes, and spending as much time, certainly. But also disappointed, that the accompanying pain hasn't eased off more over the last few weeks. My goal apparently was a sense of normality we all seek. It may happen if I stay with it but not wanting to do the wrong thing for the right reason wins in the short term. Could be an example of prayer being an education too....

So as the new week unfolds I hope the pain eases and all other minor revisions in routines bear fruit.

Other things, some social, some everyday obligations, are going very well... there's always some kind of uplifting occurrence .... like popcorn in the air!*

Let's keep at it.

*or bacon

Comment

Hi Mamabug!

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      Made goals.

1x silver Sneakers

I bet you've been doing some weightlifting anyway, (moving and packing) even without your 5-pound weights!
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hey there Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
        Really don't know how to comment on the week. My plans changed on entering gym Monday.

I went back to one day per week as 'leg day.' But did maintain the newer 2 days to cardio work on an elliptical, so there is leg work to some extent.

So I'm moving, yes, and spending as much time, certainly. But also disappointed, that the accompanying pain hasn't eased off more over the last few weeks. My goal apparently was a sense of normality we all seek. It may happen if I stay with it but not wanting to do the wrong thing for the right reason wins in the short term. Could be an example of prayer being an education too....

So as the new week unfolds I hope the pain eases and all other minor revisions in routines bear fruit.
        So sorry that you have that darn pain going on Jer.

Is it the muscle tightness pain?

In any case I'm hoping you find a way to continue your workouts without having to deal with the pain.

I don't have much pain, but my issue is muscle fatigue after a short time of physical activity.

Originally posted by 502E79
        Other things, some social, some everyday obligations, are going very well... there's always some kind of uplifting occurrence .... like popcorn in the air!*
        Best way to look at life! It just feels better that way. And we can always stop and smell the bacon!

Originally posted by 502E79
        Let's keep at it.
        Sounds like a good plan!!

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          So sorry that you have that darn pain going on Jer.

Is it the muscle tightness pain?

In any case I'm hoping you find a way to continue your workouts without having to deal with the pain.

I don't have much pain, but my issue is muscle fatigue after a short time of physical activity.

Hey K!

Yes. If I may.... spasticity (or muscle pain) is always with me to varying degrees. Still prefer pain over no sensation at all. No hero here, just use to this kind of pain.

The muscle tightness on my poor side may well be simple disease progression OR extensive leg exercise lately has resulted in muscle tightness which effects safe walking. I'm reasonably sure....

the upper outside right thigh & glute become very tight but not really painful....

but the muscles shift or move from normal position around skeleton frame because of this contraction.

This is painful after resting because now each step lacks normal muscular / skeleton support. Pain fades but days are involved.

My best guess.

J

Comment

KoKo... forgot to ask... How about your week?

Comment

Hello everyone!

I'm glad to report that I accomplished my exercise goals.

The exercises include short walks and short times of standing daily, stretches, in-chair ab crunches, arm and leg exercises, and breathing exercises.​

I had to have a nurse aide lift me up off of the commode once during the week. I tried and tried but my legs just weren't having any of it!

Can I blame it on the flu shot which I had the previous day? My legs were very achy.

I 'm still dealing with motor fatigue, which is extreme muscle weakness after continuous physical activity.

And my continuous activity isn't very long, timewise, before I must stop because my muscles have absolutely no strength.

By simple definition, motor fatigue happens due to impaired nerve signaling to the muscles.

I thank my lucky stars that after a rest period, the muscle strength returns.

Anyway, on a 'smell the bacon' note, my sister brought the final cherry tomato pickings from her garden.

They are so delicious! I just luv 'em!

Wishing everyone a super pleasant week!

Comment

Jer

Hey K!

Yes. If I may.... spasticity (or muscle pain) is always with me to varying degrees. Still prefer pain over no sensation at all. No hero here, just use to this kind of pain.

The muscle tightness on my poor side may well be simple disease progression OR extensive leg exercise lately has resulted in muscle tightness which effects safe walking. I'm reasonably sure....

the upper outside right thigh & glute become very tight but not really painful....

but the muscles shift or move from normal position around skeleton frame because of this contraction.

This is painful after resting because now each step lacks normal muscular / skeleton support. Pain fades but days are involved.

My best guess.

J

Thank you Jer.

I have a better understanding now.

Your reasoning makes sense to me.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that with MS, there doesn't always need to be a typical reason or cause for some neurological pain.

Nerve cells mis-firing?

Comment

I'm glad to report that I accomplished my exercise goals.

The exercises include short walks and short times of standing daily, stretches, in-chair ab crunches, arm and leg exercises, and breathing exercises.​

I had to have a nurse aide lift me up off of the commode once during the week. I tried and tried but my legs just weren't having any of it!
                  Daily physical routines become habitual don't they? If only there was a gauge that would 'point to empty' before discovering there's no strength remaining!

Can I blame it on the flu shot which I had the previous day? My legs were very achy.​

With this disease you could probably blame it on the phase of the moon and be correct half the time.

I'm still dealing with motor fatigue, which is extreme muscle weakness after continuous physical activity.

And my continuous activity isn't very long, timewise, before I must stop because my muscles have absolutely no strength.

By simple definition, motor fatigue happens due to impaired nerve signaling to the muscles.

I thank my lucky stars that after a rest period, the muscle strength returns.
                  Do you think that more spaced out, shorter efforts might be a solution? Say 6 SHORTER routines each day as opposed to 5? Can it be possible to outsmart motor fatigue somewhat?

Anyway, on a 'smell the bacon' note, my sister brought the final cherry tomato pickings from her garden.

They are so delicious! I just luv 'em!

Wishing everyone a super pleasant week!​
                  Are cherry tomatoes the same as tomatillos? Different, no? Love 'em both! Keep at KoKo - all we can do.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that with MS, there doesn't always need to be a typical reason or cause for some neurological pain.

Nerve cells mis-firing?

Those sharp; burning or cutting or
                    electric shocks I experience occasionally I believe originate in brain.

The brain responds to impaired nerve cell information, simply put - Its freaking out! AKA; Nerve cells mis-firing. - Dr. Jer

Comment

Daily physical routines become habitual don't they? If only there was a gauge that would 'point to empty' before discovering there's no strength remaining!

Yes!

With this disease you could probably blame it on the phase of the moon and be correct half the time.

Funny!

Do you think that more spaced out, shorter efforts might be a solution? Say 6 SHORTER routines each day as opposed to 5? Can it be possible to outsmart motor fatigue somewhat?

I do think so!

Are cherry tomatoes the same as tomatillos? Different, no? Love 'em both! Keep at KoKo - all we can do.
                      Cherry tomatoes are just like regular ones but small.

Comment

Those sharp; burning or cutting or [/SIZE]electric shocks I experience occasionally I believe originate in brain.

The brain responds to impaired nerve cell information, simply put - Its freaking out! AKA; Nerve cells mis-firing. - Dr. Jer
                        Funny Dr. Jer!

Comment

Working...
                        X