• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goalposters exercise thread

#1 8/26/2023 Goalposters Exercise Check-In

08- (14 thru 18 + 21 thru 25) -2023, 10:22 AM

Hello everyone!

This would include activities such as ROM (range of motion), arm / leg exercises, stretches, ADL's (activities of daily living), standing for a length of time, walking, housework activities, putting groceries away, doing laundry, etc.

Our bottom line is to keep moving our bodies, within the scope of each person's individual ability.

Why not set some doable exercise goals for next week. We're more than happy to give encouragement and support for your efforts.

Thanks for starting the thread.

We have been CRAZY busy. We just signed a contract to buy a different house. We weren't looking for a house. We found out, 9 days ago, that a house next door to my daughter's back yard was up for a private sale. If it wasn't sold in 6 more days, it would be listed with a realtor.

It had been a dream to find a multifamily home, with separate living quarters and separate entrances to live together, but apart. This isn't "together", exactly, but we plan to make a gate in the privacy fence between us, so it'll be awesome.

We had to make a quick decision. Loan is locked in; contract is signed. We expect to close on the house September 22. August 15 we didn't know about this house and weren't looking to buy.

It's exciting, overwhelming, etc!
    ​​​​​
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Partial goals.
      1x Silver Sneakers
      2x PT at home
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        Partial goals.
        1x Silver Sneakers
        2x PT at home

Faith!

Amazed that you got some exercise in although all the mental activity in such a short time span counts for something!?! Happy that a long hoped for opportunity turned up and you could adjust 'on-the-fly,'

May all continue to go well!

Jer

Comment

Been an interesting two weeks....

I have been trying to use PT exercises on what I call 'leg' day, once a week.

This has been successful. The exercises are not easy but are similar to my trainers routines although adjusted. I'm not the same person since CV (Covid Years) and then the loss of trainer and old gym.

All the exercises work! My walking is improved after a rest period and even over the next 24 hours. It's not an epiphany, I knew it would help, just surprised at both results and how much effort was required!

All the exercise sheets include the word 'daily'.... So I'm going suspend further PT sessions for now and focus on spreading out the roughly 24 exercises over 3 (or more) days each week. Maybe after a month or so, a review to look for any additional positives or negatives :-\ ? Like I didn't know MS was going to be a full time job!

I will keep at it and hope all who have exercise routines will consider PT.

Comment

Hey Mamabug!

We have been CRAZY busy. We just signed a contract to buy a different house. We weren't looking for a house. We found out, 9 days ago, that a house next door to my daughter's back yard was up for a private sale. If it wasn't sold in 6 more days, it would be listed with a realtor.

It had been a dream to find a multifamily home, with separate living quarters and separate entrances to live together, but apart. This isn't "together", exactly, but we plan to make a gate in the privacy fence between us, so it'll be awesome.

We had to make a quick decision. Loan is locked in; contract is signed. We expect to close on the house September 22. August 15 we didn't know about this house and weren't looking to buy.

It's exciting, overwhelming, etc!
            ​​​​​
            Wow! Talk about serendipity! (the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way)

Best wishes that everything continues to fall in place very well for you guys!

It does sound exciting and overwhelming too!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Mamabug!

Partial goals.
              1x Silver Sneakers
              2x PT at home
              Bravo for achieving your partial exercise goals, all things considered!

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hey Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                Been an interesting two weeks....

I have been trying to use PT exercises on what I call 'leg' day, once a week.

This has been successful. The exercises are not easy but are similar to my trainers routines although adjusted. I'm not the same person since CV (Covid Years) and then the loss of trainer and old gym
                I love and admire your determination!

Originally posted by 502E7
                All the exercises work! My walking is improved after a rest period and even over the next 24 hours. It's not an epiphany, I knew it would help, just surprised at both results and how much effort was required!
                That is so wonderful! Super effort on your part!

Originally posted by 502E79
                All the exercise sheets include the word 'daily'.... So I'm going suspend further PT sessions for now and focus on spreading out the roughly 24 exercises over 3 (or more) days each week. Maybe after a month or so, a review to look for any additional positives or negatives :-\ ? Like I didn't know MS was going to be a full time job!
                Makes perfect sense to me. It's our implementing of PT exercises daily or a few times a week that produces improvements.

Originally posted by 502E79
                I will keep at it and hope all who have exercise routines will consider PT.
                Yes!

Comment

Hello everyone!

I achieved my exercise goals over the past two weeks. Did a little bit of extra walking.

My goals include short walks and short times of standing daily, stretches, in-chair ab crunches, arm and leg exercises, and breathing exercises.​

Feeling much gratitude for the physical abilities that are still with me at this time. Most activities demand much effort and focus.

I shall not complain, though, as I know what the alternative may be.

One day at a time!

Have a peaceful and pleasant week!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                    Hello everyone!

I achieved my exercise goals over the past two weeks. Did a little bit of extra walking.

My goals include short walks and short times of standing daily, stretches, in-chair ab crunches, arm and leg exercises, and breathing exercises.​

Feeling much gratitude for the physical abilities that are still with me at this time. Most activities demand much effort and focus.

I shall not complain, though, as I know what the alternative may be.

One day at a time!

Have a peaceful and pleasant week!

Thanks for your positive comments as to PT and goals in general KoKo.

It is appreciated, especially coming from someone aware of the 'effort and focus' required.

Nice that you had a bit extra of something (walking)... love when that happens.... Also the gratitude part.

Where's that Gratitude thread!?

Comment

Working...
                    X