Goalposters exercise check-in 07-06-2023
    4 checked in last week
    3 made goals
    1 is working on it.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made partial goals
    1x Silver Sneakers
    2x PT at home
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      Made partial goals
      1x Silver Sneakers
      2x PT at home

Hi Mamabug!

Guess you started the week with 2 Silver Sneaker appearances in mind? Well we take what we get. My week went similar so I'm going with partial also.

The exercises were ok, time spent, the same. Stretching daily as usual. And still using my scooter only once a week on 'leg' day.

My guess is ADLs were taking a greater toll than usual. I've been adding a short trip now and then and this week the dentist too. Excessive walking and concentration, reinforces awareness... doing two things at the same time isn't advisable. The wherewithal that use to come naturally? Not any more. ADL's equal GYM.

Guinea pig report: Sadly nothing to report... My doctors office should have sent (faxed?) the requested script to the Ottobock people, I've heard nothing. Will call Monday.

The other script (for PT on campus) was received and given to therapist Friday. We should get together to discuss before any sessions or schedule begins. The doctors script calls for 21 sessions? Didn't expect that or think it necessary.

KoKo, Boudreaux, hope you both had a good week!

Let's keep at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        Made partial goals
        1x Silver Sneakers
        2x PT at home
        Hey Mamabug!

Good for you achieving partial goals!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
          The exercises were ok, time spent, the same. Stretching daily as usual. And still using my scooter only once a week on 'leg' day.

My guess is ADLs were taking a greater toll than usual. I've been adding a short trip now and then and this week the dentist too. Excessive walking and concentration, reinforces awareness... doing two things at the same time isn't advisable. The wherewithal that use to come naturally? Not any more. ADL's equal GYM.
          I understand about the ADL's - they can be as exhausting as 'other types' of exercises at times.

One of my biggest challenges (regarding focus being put on multiple things at one time) is the seemingly simple act of pulling up my pants!

I need to focus (all at the same time ) on: 1) keeping my paralyzed right hand from falling off of the walker handle, 2) while trying to keep my back straight enough so I don't topple over to the left, 3) while keeping my legs from buckling, 4) while trying to pull my pants up with my left hand (which has numb fingers and difficulty grasping).

Talk about a balancing act! It sure ain't easy!

Originally posted by 502E79
          Guinea pig report: Sadly nothing to report... My doctors office should have sent (faxed?) the requested script to the Ottobock people, I've heard nothing. Will call Monday.

The other script (for PT on campus) was received and given to therapist Friday. We should get together to discuss before any sessions or schedule begins. The doctors script calls for 21 sessions? Didn't expect that or think it necessary.
          Healthcare paperwork can be slow-going.

You don't necessarily have to do all of the 21 PT sessions. You and PT make your therapy goals together.

Originally posted by 502E79
          Let's keep at it.
          Still trying the best we can!

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hey everyone!

My exercise week went ok, achieving the same modest goals as last week:

Daily short walks, stretches, in-chair ab crunches, arm and leg exercises (some active and some passive), and breathing techniques.

I just don't feel quite ready yet to increase my activity level.

The doctor came today, and brought two residents (student doctors) with him.

Nursing students were here last week.

I'm telling you, people are in and out of here all day long, and with no prior warning that they're coming either.

They all just knock and then walk right in. Kind of nerve-wracking to me.

I guess I just don't like surprises so often!

I'm seeing that with nursing home living, there is a good bit of loss of privacy, control, and choice in my life.

I sure could use some remyelinating gummies, right about now.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

I understand about the ADL's - they can be as exhausting as 'other types' of exercises at times.

One of my biggest challenges (regarding focus being put on multiple things at one time) is the seemingly simple act of pulling up my pants!

I need to focus (all at the same time ) on: 1) keeping my paralyzed right hand from falling off of the walker handle, 2) while trying to keep my back straight enough so I don't topple over to the left, 3) while keeping my legs from buckling, 4) while trying to pull my pants up with my left hand (which has numb fingers and difficulty grasping).

Talk about a balancing act! It sure ain't easy!

I'm similar but a balancing act with a walker... errr, not yet thank goodness. Bless you K!

Comment

Hey everyone!

My exercise week went ok, achieving the same modest goals as last week:

Daily short walks, stretches, in-chair ab crunches, arm and leg exercises (some active and some passive), and breathing techniques.

I just don't feel quite ready yet to increase my activity level.
                Good job. Breathing has rewards! but I still catch myself holding my breath. Pretty annoying.

The doctor came today, and brought two residents (student doctors) with him.

Nursing students were here last week.

I'm telling you, people are in and out of here all day long, and with no prior warning that they're coming either.

They all just knock and then walk right in. Kind of nerve-wracking to me.

I guess I just don't like surprises so often!

I'm seeing that with nursing home living, there is a good bit of loss of privacy, control, and choice in my life.

Yeah, Nerve wracking sounds on the money and I hate surprises, more so now than ever before!

You might consider a sign? Politely requesting pre arranged visits of 2 or less...?

I sure could use some remyelinating gummies, right about now.

Pass the bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

Hi Mamabug!

Guess you started the week with 2 Silver Sneaker appearances in mind? Well we take what we get.

​​
                  Yes; I had hoped to go to Silver Sneakers twice. Or, substitute with something else if I didn't succeed. I guess July 4, it was closed.

At least I'm doing something. Yeah; we take what we can get.

~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Hi! I'm joining in here with the hopes of maintaining my motivation to move more. I actually was moving great a few months back (before March) but then a new cervical lesion caused some problems in my leg. Then I fell off the wagon with exercise because I just couldn't physically do it.

Anyway, I'm mostly back to (my) baseline now so I need to get moving again. I want to aim for 7000 steps each day and get in some arm and torso free weights.
                    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
                    ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Comment

Sounds like a good plan, Pistachio!

Glad to hear that you're doing better and have the willingness to get moving again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistachio View Post
                        Hi! I'm joining in here with the hopes of maintaining my motivation to move more. I actually was moving great a few months back (before March) but then a new cervical lesion caused some problems in my leg. Then I fell off the wagon with exercise because I just couldn't physically do it.

Anyway, I'm mostly back to (my) baseline now so I need to get moving again. I want to aim for 7000 steps each day and get in some arm and torso free weights.

Hi Pistachio,

Welcome to the thread. Momabug usually begins it on Thursday or Friday but it's a bit late this week.

I've been told that a guesstimate for steps per mile is around 2300, but you probably have a digital tracker. Maybe the first week, shoot low? Getting back on the wagon without considering the time off could dampen your spirits.

Anyhow, as KoKo said, good plan and WELCOME!

Jer

Comment

Hey everybody. Sorry I dropped the ball. Things just got away from me.

Let's wait until next week, and I'll really try to start the new thread on Thursday.

Welcome, Pistachio Yes; I really believe that being accountable to others helps me to do better than I would otherwise.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Sounds A-OK to me, Mamabug. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                            X