Clear All

The Goalposters exercise check-in 03-09-2023

The Goalposters exercise check-in 03-09-2023
    3 checked in.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made partial goals.
    1x bike ride with hubby
    2x PT at home
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      Made partial goals.
      1x bike ride with hubby
      2x PT at home

Mamabug, thanks for starting the thread and for your partial week. Bike ride sounds nice, glad that the season is finally changing!

I'll say a complete week for me, although it was unlike the past two 4-day exercise weeks. I returned to a 3 day schedule and all went well with about the same amount of time spent.

Uplifting observations; The grip in my poor right hand is improving. Credit the UBE 'hand cycle' equipment at gym. No real strength improvement that I can see. But am able to do 6 minutes (CW and CCW) with a firm grip! Intermittent 6 weeks ago.

Now trying to use all upper body equipment bilaterally (whether it is or not) for strength. This is the way to go even if your core isn't fully involved and your body position isn't perfect.

Then use lateral equipment for ROM on poor right arm (now with the above improved grip!) to hang on through the motion (reduced weight here). Painful, but feeling something is worth the price, MO.

Overall have added a two pounds on all resistance equipment. Will see if this stays.

Oh, KoKo, last weeks thoughts on 'hankering'. Always applied it to food, but I am now eating very well and have no hankerings at all. My only desire is health. But not at the possibility of losing what MS has taught me.

Comment

Hi Mamabug!

Good going with your partial goals and the bike riding!

Riding my bike was one of my very favorite activities (along with tennis).

You bring back fond memories for me!
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Jer!

Good going on your complete exercise week!

So nice to learn that your ability to grip with your hand seems to be improving. Fantastic!

Originally posted by 502E79
          Now trying to use all upper body equipment bilaterally (whether it is or not) for strength. This is the way to go even if your core isn't fully involved and your body position isn't perfect.
          Excellent strategy, Jer! As long as it's not awkward or it poses a risk for injury, go for it.

Then use lateral equipment for ROM on poor right arm (now with the above improved grip!) to hang on through the motion (reduced weight here). Painful, but feeling something is worth the price, MO​
          Your 'poor' right arm might not be quite so 'poor' anymore if you keep this up.

Good luck with the increased 2 pounds of resistance. That's a good bit of weight.

Wishing you good / better health. I can't imagine you ever losing what dealing with MS has taught you (or anyone else, for that matter).

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

The week seems to have flown by!

I was able to accomplish my exercise goals. Most of the time, all went smooth, thankfully.

Sit-to-stand seems to be going a bit better.

I'm learning that it's not all about the strength, as important as that is.

The technique (focusing on the muscles that are being used in a synchronized fashion?) seems to produce better results. Not sure if I can explain what I mean, exactly.

Slowing down the process has helped a lot too.

In any case, I feel that I'm using a little less effort in trying to stand up.

Well.anyways, I'm going to aim for my current exercise goals, for this week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 5X per day @ 20 - 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (10 each X2) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises (with varied # of reps)

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage​.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

I'm learning that it's not all about the strength, as important as that is.

The technique (focusing on the muscles that are being used in a synchronized fashion?) seems to produce better results. Not sure if I can explain what I mean, exactly.

Slowing down the process has helped a lot too.

In any case, I feel that I'm using a little less effort in trying to stand up.

Hi KoKo!

Sounds like a pretty solid week.

Sometimes the 'answer' appears very clear and right in front of you, so much so that you cannot believe you didn't see it earlier!

I'm not sure I can explain what I mean either but there are times that my mind is in tune with my body. Equals a good day or better still a good lesson.

Other times my MS body is in a state of flux.... Adapting to the Wednesday body after a good Monday can be frustrating. A case of the mind keeping up with the body not vice versa!

But we trudge on, right KoKo?

Especially like '...I'm using a little less effort in trying to stand up.'

Comment

Jer

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                I'm not sure I can explain what I mean either but there are times that my mind is in tune with my body. Equals a good day or better still a good lesson.

Other times my MS body is in a state of flux.... Adapting to the Wednesday body after a good Monday can be frustrating. A case of the mind keeping up with the body not vice versa!
                Without MS, I could use my strength to quickly jump up from a sitting position and then stand up, because all muscles that were used in the process were receiving the nerve signals at optimum speed and quality.

With MS, I can't just quickly jump up from sitting to then standing due to slower and impaired nerve signals going to the muscles.

Slowing down the sit-to-stand motion, focusing on the body movements that need to be initiated, and talking my body through it all, helps to get the job done.

But we trudge on, right KoKo?
                That's right, trudge on!

Comment

Working...
                X